Tactics of Manipulation Abusers Use On Women

Page 1 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Minervx_2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 May 2016, 6:19 am

I'm sorry if I sound callous. I just have to question the soul of a species that treats its women like this so often. I'd laugh at how obstinate society is in defending it's values of misogyny and violence, but it's just not funny.

I come from a family in which several of the men have abused their wives, and I've found many common traits from all of their patterns. It's common for potential abuse victims to be low in confidence, but another commonality is that abuse victims tend to grow up with a rather good family so they never see how abuse works. Often, they grow up with good men in their family, so they can't even imagine what it's like for a man to abuse them, or how to tell what an abuser would look like.

If I ever have a daughter, I want to impart these lessons to her, so that she can never be tricked into the same trap that so many women I've known have fallen into.

Psychological Abuse
1. Make small nitpicks (you put too much milk in your cereal, you missed a spot with the mop)
2. Make personal nitpicks (you're clumsy, you're forgetful, you have a big nose)
3. Question their stability (you get overemotional, you don't have the temperment, etc.)
[These are all healthy on a moderate level, but done excessive, they lead to the next few steps]
4. Question her mental health (you have some brain damage but i still love you)
5. Attack her overtly (you're stupid, you're a b***h)
6. Deny her capabilities (you can't do this, you wont achieve that, youll never succeed)
7. Make them question their sanity (you see, i'm quite nice after all, it's all in your head)
8. Deny her value (you're worthless)

Power Dynamic
1. Be really nice, sweet, buy her gifts, cook her dinner, treat her like a princess
2. Make yourself seem inferior and let her be in charge until she loves you
3. Find ways to isolate her from her friends and family
4. Show palpable threats (be subtly aggressive and imposing)
5. Hit her.
6. If she doesn't break up with you immediately, keep hitting her.
7. Have a threat in case she breaks up with you (you have a gun, messy custody battle, you know the mafia, etc.

Last edited by Minervx_2 on 29 May 2016, 8:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2016, 6:42 am

I certainly grew up dealing with a lot of this due to my mother and grandmother, who have their share of BPD and narcissistic traits. My grandmother is dead, but my mom will still pull this stuff, or would if I had contact with her. It's very hard having your posture, sensory issues, hobbies, and habits constantly criticized. But, of course, these people hate to see you happy because other people's happiness and emotional independence makes them so uncomfortable.

I don't understand this part of your post:

Quote:
It's common for potential abuse victims to be low in confidence, but another commonality is that abuse victims tend to grow up with a rather good family so they never see how abuse works. Often, they grow up with good men in their family, so they can't even imagine what it's like for a man to abuse them.

How can an abuse victim not see how abuse works or imagine what it's like to be abused if they are being abused? Do you mean to say that they've been so conditioned by the abuser that they don't recognize that what's happening to them is abuse? I know I had my periods of denial, especially as a kid, since I was trapped in a family with these people. Abusers are also very good at making themselves look like the victim, because they want you to think you are the problem, or that they're right and it's the rest of the world that's wrong.

Minervx_2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 May 2016, 7:05 am

What I mean to say is that women who have never seen a traditional abuse story unfold before are more likely to ignore the red flags whilst falling in love. And by the time they do recognize the signs, Hitler already invaded Poland.

Incendax
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 May 2016, 7:28 am

Good list of abusive behaviors in general, regardless of sex.

EnmaLionheart
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 May 2016, 7:53 am

Minervx_2 wrote:
I'm sorry if the title sounds callous. I just have to question the soul of a species that treats its women like this so often. I'd laugh at how obstinate society is in defending it's values of misogyny and violence, but it's just not funny.

I come from a family in which several of the men have abused their wives, and I've found many common traits from all of their patterns. It's common for potential abuse victims to be low in confidence, but another commonality is that abuse victims tend to grow up with a rather good family so they never see how abuse works. Often, they grow up with good men in their family, so they can't even imagine what it's like for a man to abuse them, or how to tell what an abuser would look like.

If I ever have a daughter, I want to impart these lessons to her, so that she can never be tricked into the same trap that so many women I've known have fallen into.

Psychological Abuse
1. Make small nitpicks (you put too much milk in your cereal, you missed a spot with the mop)
2. Make personal nitpicks (you're clumsy, you're forgetful, you have a big nose)
3. Question their stability (you get overemotional, you don't have the temperment, etc.)
[These are all healthy on a moderate level, but done excessive, they lead to the next few steps]
6. Deny her capabilities (you can't do this, you wont achieve that, youll never succeed)
7. Make them question their sanity (you see, i'm quite nice after all, it's all in your head)

Power Dynamic
1. Be really nice, sweet, buy her gifts, cook her dinner, treat her like a princess
3. Find ways to isolate her from her friends and family
4. Show palpable threats (be subtly aggressive and imposing)
5. Hit her.
6. If she doesn't break up with you immediately, keep hitting her.
7. Have a threat in case she breaks up with you (you have a gun, messy custody battle, you know the mafia, etc.

Wow. I don't even condone this list. This sounds more misogynistic. Go get help, seriously. I could do one better and cuss you put. Hopefully a mod sees this and locks this thread.

By the way. Yes your thread is calloused and misogynistic and Idgaf who sees this. This is teaching how to abuse women.

*goes back on phone thinking of first cosplay ideas*

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2016, 8:14 am

^He said he'd teach these things to his future daughter so she can recognize if she is in an abusive relationship or not.

He's not condoning these things, he's giving advice on how to guard against them.

Minervx_2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 May 2016, 8:29 am

Abusive men already know these rules. It's instinct to them. They drink and breathe it. It's the people who don't know who can benefit from being informed. It's the abusers who benefit when people aren't informed.

There's only a limited amount of deftness I can devote to a discussion of this sort. There's a certain point where you start to lose hope. It's not just a handful of abusive men, but an entire society that creates a breeding ground for this to happen and nonchalantly tolerates it when it does. If my tone comes across as bitter and scornful, it's because I am. If my original title is met with disgust, it's because this epidemic is disgusting.

YippySkippy
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2016, 8:40 am

Some things to Google to learn more:
cycle of abuse
emotional abuse
gas lighting

I disagree about women in abusive relationships coming from "good" families. They come from all kinds of families, all socio-economic backgrounds, all education levels, all races and religions, etc.

EnmaLionheart
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

29 May 2016, 9:46 am

Minervx_2 wrote:
Abusive men already know these rules. It's instinct to them. They drink and breathe it. It's the people who don't know who can benefit from being informed. It's the abusers who benefit when people aren't informed.

There's only a limited amount of deftness I can devote to a discussion of this sort. There's a certain point where you start to lose hope. It's not just a handful of abusive men, but an entire society that creates a breeding ground for this to happen and nonchalantly tolerates it when it does. If my tone comes across as bitter and scornful, it's because I am. If my original title is met with disgust, it's because this epidemic is disgusting.

So do abusive women. Ever thought that as well?

YippySkippy wrote:
Some things to Google to learn more:
cycle of abuse
emotional abuse
gas lighting

I disagree about women in abusive relationships coming from "good" families. They come from all kinds of families, all socio-economic backgrounds, all education levels, all races and religions, etc.

Quoted for truth.

*goes back on phone thinking of first cosplay ideas*

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2016, 1:56 pm

I wish I did know the red flags of an abuser before getting into a relationship because I ended up in one myself but luckily it didn't last long. I was actually lucky he discarded me. He was more of the passive type. He didn't try to keep you and if you left you left and he then ignored you. So not all abusers will keep their victims. They let them go like they are trash. I've been curious about how he treated his ex but I will never know.

I have never grown up in an abusive environment so I wouldn't know what abuse looks like (I thought it was being beaten up and hit and called names and my ex did none of that) but those who have grown up in it might only know that is what exists and not know any different because it's normal to them. They repeat the cycle. I would have to wonder if they not ever saw any relationships where both people never fought and beat each other up and no name calling and controlling behavior etc. or were all their friends parents that dysfunctional too? I lived in an area where it seemed normal to abuse your children where you call them names and not value their perspectives and opinions and kick them out whenever they piss you off. Then those kids meet my parents and thought they were strange and told them what they were doing wasn't normal. An out of control teenager was a kid who argues and disagrees with you which to me is normal kid behavior for an adolescent but not in that area I lived in. Those parents had know idea what an out of control teenager really means so basically they were punishing them for being a normal teen by kicking them out and those kids would end up at my parents house hanging out with my brothers. While there, they had to do chores around the yard and as a reward they would be fed a nice meal. I am sure they all appreciated it and would rather work for a good meal than being screamed at at home and called named and kicked out whenever they piss their parents off and not treated like they matter. But that is why people repeat the mistakes by entering an abusive relationship despite growing up in an abusive home, they think it's normal and if they lived in an area where lot of kids were raised that way, they think it's normal. It's very possible to realize that the way you were raised or how your parents relationships were isn't normal so you break the cycle. I have seen people say online who grew up with narcissists parents that what they saw on TV about relationships was only on TV, same as how parents handled problems with their children whenever they got into trouble or did something wrong.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2016, 2:01 pm

Abuse can be so subtle, the person might not even realize they are in an abusive relationship. That is what happened with me. That is until you google it if you know what to google. I didn't know about gaslighting or emotional abuse, or what controlling behavior looked like and if you are not aware of the abuse, it wouldn't occur to you to go online and look it up. People usually find out on accident their partner is abusive or they were in therapy together and their therapist tells them privately after their partner is out of the room that they are in a relationship with a narcissist.

sly279
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2016, 2:10 pm

Be really nice, sweet, buy her gifts, cook her dinner, treat her like a princess

^ whys this a red flag ? So if a guys romantic he must be a abuser?

What if your just a less dominate guy? Most relationships I've seen the woman is the one in charge. This is how I was raised and presumed it was for all.

A users pretend to be nice guys, but you shouldn't throw the baby out with the bath water but limiting romantic and nice charactisits as reasons to avoid s guy. Mean if he's not sweep at , and treats her romantically it probably means he doesn't care much about her besides sex.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2016, 2:30 pm

Some of those make sense, but not sure why buying gifts or cooking her dinner is a sign of abuse. My boyfriend cooks me dinner a lot, because he likes to and makes good food and he did gift me a sweater and is sweet/nice like I am to him and no abuse to be had...are we supposed to hold each other at arms length and condescend each other or have toxic arguments just so long as there is no hitting?

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2016, 2:46 pm

Quote:
Be really nice, sweet, buy her gifts, cook her dinner, treat her like a princess

It's not really a sign of abuse, it's a love bombing tactic abusers use to lure in their victim and then they slowly take their mask off. It's a wonder why people have PTSD after the relationship and why some don't enter another one. It's tough leaving your partner because the person you fell in love with was the person they were when you met and now that person is gone but you keep hoping that person will come back and things will get better. Abusers exploit things to manipulate their victim so they will act all nice and sweet and understanding and shower you with love and gifts and do anything for you. Then once they got you, they take their mask off.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2016, 3:23 pm

Psychological Abuse

Me and my Ma got most of these from my dad. That's why I'm not married, have never been in a long term relationship and keep striving for perfection in everything I do. That's why I can't get into any arguments. I'm never putting up with that crap again.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

AuroraBorealisGazer
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2016, 10:30 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Quote:

It's not really a sign of abuse, it's a love bombing tactic abusers use to lure in their victim and then they slowly take their mask off. It's a wonder why people have PTSD after the relationship and why some don't enter another one. It's tough leaving your partner because the person you fell in love with was the person they were when you met and now that person is gone but you keep hoping that person will come back and things will get better. Abusers exploit things to manipulate their victim so they will act all nice and sweet and understanding and shower you with love and gifts and do anything for you. Then once they got you, they take their mask off.

This.
Looking back, love bombing is the most painful part of the cycle.