What do you find weird about neurotypicals?

Page 1 of 13 [ 204 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 13  Next

bverjee
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 May 2016, 8:29 am

I think the following behaviours are weird and I don't understand them:

Saying things that aren't true.
Offering food to others if you want to eat it yourself.
Continuing to talk to someone after you have already said goodbye.
Listening to music and movies super loud.

What do you find weird about neurotypicals?

Minervx_2
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 May 2016, 8:33 am

I find it weird how inconsistent they are in what they say and the standards they set.

PatrickJane
Raven
Raven

29 May 2016, 8:38 am

I find it weird when they say something but mean something entirely different and then expect me to know what they actually meant.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2016, 11:52 am

bverjee wrote:
I think the following behaviours are weird and I don't understand them:

This one is particularly annoying.

I don't understanding asking people to hang out but not have any idea what you want to do. It makes no sense to ask if someone wants to hang out, have no ideas for an activity, then spend half an evening waiting because there is no set time for any activity.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2016, 12:16 pm

You mean this is a normal thing:

Quote:

I thought this was an autism thing because of difficulty with transition and also because once they are into talking about their interest, they don't shut up or they have to finish what they are saying. :?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Billywasjr
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 May 2016, 12:17 pm

PatrickJane wrote:
I find it weird when they say something but mean something entirely different and then expect me to know what they actually meant.

LOLOL!! Yeah this exactly!

Also, I often feel like I'm at the zoo watching them interact. They're talking to each other but there's no substance to their conversation, then one says something and somehow the rest of them all know to laugh even though there's clearly nothing humorous about the remark. It's like watching another species, it's foreign. Like being at the zoo.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2016, 1:05 pm

League_Girl wrote:
You mean this is a normal thing:

Quote:

I thought this was an autism thing because of difficulty with transition and also because once they are into talking about their interest, they don't shut up or they have to finish what they are saying. :?

Like a lot of these kinds of threads, "the stuff those NT's do" I have often seen being done by people on the spectrum.

Having been surrounded by a lot more people on the spectrum, instead of being surrounded by NT's like most, I think gives me a different perspective on things.

The whole NT mythos thingy :wink:

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2016, 1:41 pm

I can never come to terms with the way certain people enjoy the company of others.

However, I do know of "NT" folk who like me would rather spend time alone.

There was an example of this the other day, at work it was one of my colleagues birthday and she came into work.

I said that I would never go to work on my birthday and she said that she would only be at home on her own and she would rather be in company.

Me and my other colleague who I am presuming to be "NT" both looked at each other and said that we would like it even better to be at home, alone and in our own company with our own thoughts.

I did used to think that enjoying my own company was because of my autism/aspergers but as I have got older I have learned that a lot of things in fact aren't exclusive to AS.

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2016, 2:12 pm

Having to do things that are harmful to their bodies and minds like drugs or drinking too much because they think it makes them "cool", or to fit in, or to temporarily forget their problems. I'm the giant loser for just saying no.

Telling me things like "later" or "soon" instead of giving me a more specific time.

The constant, constant lying.

Choosing fashion over function, and said fashion looks like something out of the zoo.

NT women having to spend their lives looking 18 and being at least 20 lbs underweight.

Thinking that any affection you show towards animals makes you a "furry" who wants a bestial relationship.

Showing any positive feelings for someone the same sex as you makes you gay/lesbian.

Showing any public affection for your parents and vice versa is incest.

Being friends in a non-sexual way with someone the opposite sex as you is not possible unless you're gay or ugly.

Women who don't wear dresses or makeup are ugly and masculine.

If your interests are "odd" they should be discouraged instead of nurtured.

If you're an adult who collects toys, you must be a pedophile.

If you're an adult who plays family-friendly E-rated games like animal Crossing, you must be a pedophile.

If you're female you should not be interested in video games, even E-rated ones aimed at both genders like Animal crossing.

If you're a guy who likes video games it should only be gory, Mature-rated "hardcore" games.

You're a complete failure as a human being if you're not employed or married.

If you like to spend time alone, you're a freak or a serial killer.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2016, 2:18 pm

I can't understand why people don't like to go to places alone and travel alone and go see their friends alone. They even prefer to have their partner come with them

"Does this dress make my butt look big?" and not want a real answer

Why people complain and then not want advice, even if they are asking for advice, they get upset with your advice

The double standards people do when they dislike someone, it's okay for their own friends or people they like to do things or do certain flaws but when someone they don't like does it or does those same flaws, they hold it against them

Quote:
but as I have got older I have learned that a lot of things in fact aren't exclusive to AS.

Lot of things you read about AS are also things you find in humans in general. I have even known NTs who don't like fluorescent lights and they also give them a headache and there are NTs who also don't like food textures or certain fabrics or smells, I have known NTs that have interests and some also collect based on it and go crazy with it or have a bunch of books on the subject, my brothers always did the same things over and over all day long like computer and watching TV and always downloading music and I have seen fidgeting and lack of eye contact and not carrying on a conversation and maintaining one. In the book House Rules by Jodi Piccoult, it was explained in it that people without autism choose to not carry on a topic and they choose to not say anything and I have also known about NTs who are honest and hate sugarcoating and want to say things the way it is. Because you find all this in humans in general, it's a no wonder people misunderstand what AS really is so they think it's a BS condition. I don't think everyone about AS is actually AS like math for example or high intelligence and there are NTs out there who are analytical and also good at math or science.

RoadRatt
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2016, 2:26 pm

I find it weird that they haven't found a cure for them yet. :lol:

Grammar Geek
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2016, 2:29 pm

lostonearth35 wrote:
Having to do things that are harmful to their bodies and minds like drugs or drinking too much because they think it makes them "cool", or to fit in, or to temporarily forget their problems. I'm the giant loser for just saying no.

This, so much. With all the drug talks in schools, I don't understand why people do this. Are people really that stupid? They only have one life, and they want to waste it in order to fit in.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2016, 2:38 pm

Grammar Geek wrote:
lostonearth35 wrote:

This, so much. With all the drug talks in schools, I don't understand why people do this. Are people really that stupid? They only have one life, and they want to waste it in order to fit in.

Number 1, peer pressure. Kids give into it because of it and kids give them a hard time for not doing them so they give in. But to me pressuring me to do something harmful to my body is like giving me a hard time for not running through a fire. If they want to be stupid and risk burning their flesh, go right ahead. That stuff hurts like hell, more than.

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2016, 2:48 pm

I don't find anything about NTs weird.

lol jk :)

-How they speak in such figurative terms, like my mom said "I'll be home in a few minutes" when she was still 20 minutes away

-How some teenage NTs squeal at nothing

-How they expect you to know things they haven't told you yet.

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2016, 3:18 pm

Quote:
How they expect you to know things they haven't told you yet.

They do? I thought that was an autism thing due to mine blindness.

androbot01
Veteran
Veteran

29 May 2016, 3:23 pm

Quote:
What Do You Find Weird About Neurotypicals?

How they think they can control the future with words.