Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

aspiemike
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2016, 5:44 pm

For the gym goers, stair master , elliptical and arc trainers are good alternatives to running. Especially for those with back problems.

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2016, 8:45 pm

I do "Nordic " walking. You use poles similar to ski poles except they have rubber boot-like feet. You have to be prepared to be teased about using them in the warm months! They give a super upper body work out in addition to the benefits of walking. They take a lot of weight off your hip and knee joints, a real plus if you have arthritis as I do.

Eurythmic
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2016, 12:54 am

Don't like running? Then for goodness sake don't do it then!

Walk through fields and over mountains. By the ocean. Take a leisurely stroll along some bush tracks, taking the time to absorb the beauty of nature both big and small. Bird sounds, the smells of various plants.

sonicallysensitive
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

20 Jun 2016, 9:39 pm

ocdgirl123 wrote:
What are some alternatives to running?

Everything aside from running.

Pileo
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2016, 4:58 am

I actually tried to get into running, but had to stop because of compartment syndrome (which my ortho refused to treat). I was doing Couch-to-5k. Had podcasts to listen to, great shoes, and even was reading message boards and magazines about running. I did a ton of research and was super psyched about it. When that doctor dismissed my issues, suffice to say, I was pissed.

If I was you, I'd try to figure what's wrong. First off; find a program. Even the most experienced of runners have a program. If you're form is bad, watch YouTube videos on proper form. Joints killing you? Look into finding a better shoe for your gait. Shins hurt like a mofo? Shin splints go away after a time, but if they don't go see a doctor. Bored? Find some entertaining podcasts, listen to an audiobook, listen to music.

Admittedly, I'm a little biased, because being able to run a mile without feeling like I'm dying has always been a dream of mine. Now, I use the rowing machine and punching bag... but it's just not the same. :(

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2016, 5:47 am

Competitive table tennis aka ping pong.

enz
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2016, 4:09 am

Pokemon go

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jul 2016, 7:13 pm

Pileo wrote:
I actually tried to get into running, but had to stop because of compartment syndrome (which my ortho refused to treat). I was doing Couch-to-5k. Had podcasts to listen to, great shoes, and even was reading message boards and magazines about running. I did a ton of research and was super psyched about it. When that doctor dismissed my issues, suffice to say, I was pissed.

If I was you, I'd try to figure what's wrong. First off; find a program. Even the most experienced of runners have a program. If you're form is bad, watch YouTube videos on proper form. Joints killing you? Look into finding a better shoe for your gait. Shins hurt like a mofo? Shin splints go away after a time, but if they don't go see a doctor. Bored? Find some entertaining podcasts, listen to an audiobook, listen to music.

Admittedly, I'm a little biased, because being able to run a mile without feeling like I'm dying has always been a dream of mine. Now, I use the rowing machine and punching bag... but it's just not the same. :(

It makes me nauseous. Tried swimming Friday. That was better.

I wasn't actually looking for ways to enjoy running, but alternatives.

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic

Pileo
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2016, 4:53 pm

ocdgirl123 wrote:
I wasn't actually looking for ways to enjoy running, but alternatives.

I get that, but from your responses, it sounded like you just don't like cardio and you're reinforcing that dislike by pushing yourself too hard, too soon. If you're nauseous from running, you need to slow down. I think that applies to all cardio exercises; if you're suffering too much or if you're straight up hurting, you're doing something wrong.

MicaCruz
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Jul 2016, 7:42 am

Brisk walking is the another alternative to running. But the fact is that running and brisk walking helps to burn maximum calories.

Voynich
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

27 Jul 2016, 3:58 pm

Kettlebell swinging.
Look past the slight faddiness and you can see how physically demanding it is without having to move from the spot. It's a highly efficient form of exercise.

ocdgirl123
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2016, 12:53 am

enz wrote:
Pokemon go

I took your suggestion and tried it. I just found it boring.

Canadian, young adult, student demisexual-heteroromantic, cisgender female, autistic