Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Wewnaw
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

30 May 2016, 3:03 am

I've filled in an application form for a new job as a band 5 staff nurse in an acute dependancy unit. I haven't sent it yet. I'm currently a band 6 sister in a cardiac unit. I've been struggling with the band 6 role for some time and stepping down to a band 5 appeals as it means I don't have the responsibilities and demands on my time that I have now, it will take away a lot of the things I'm having difficulty with. However, where I am now they all know me and accept that I'm not a social person. I'm scared to move to a new job as I don't know anyone who works there, whether they'd be tolerant of me and take me as I am, if I'd fit in. I won't go on any of the social outtings, I don't mix all that much, friendships I've gained at work I maintain by messenger not meeting up and they don't mind that, I don't eat lunch at the same time as everyone else, I get to mostly work nights and weekends (less busy and less people) on my current job as I've pushed the rota that way whereas I wouldn't get to choose much in new job. I kinda don't fit in where I am but they do tolerate the way I am with little questioning. I'm not enjoying my current job any more and changing roles means an opportunity for stepping down from the band 6 I'm struggling with and to learn new acute skills in a well supported area. I guess I'm scared of the unknown. Any thoughts or advice?

RAADS-R score: 189.0
Seeking diagnosis

ok
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

04 Jun 2016, 4:38 pm

When you apply for a new job, you never know what you are going to get, people wise. But you can use the job interview as a testing ground. If you feel safe and at ease at the job interview, things will probably be OK later on - but you never really know. If you don't feel good about it, simply turn down the job offer if they choose you. They won't hold a grudge against you if you do - it's pretty normal, and they will always have another applicant they can offer the job.

In short: Send that application if the job interests you. Don't let worries and concern control your career. Carpe diem! :D