Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

NathanC
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

31 May 2016, 3:14 pm

Outdoor activities have helped me immensely over the years. Particularly in the confidence department, but also in the social department. A long hike offers me the time to reflect and think about issues in my life, and more "extreme" activities such as rock climbing or scuba diving have greatly increased my self-confidence by overcoming personal challenges. When by myself, I feel unlimited and able to explore without judgement or social repercussions. These experiences have led me to feeling much calmer, having better judgement with impulsive desires, and feeling much more focused and determined with my goals (i.e. not distracted as easily). I feel the rules of the wilderness are much simpler, and easier to understand - albeit much less forgiving.

What are your experiences with the outdoors?

Also, a newbie blogger:
www.aspieadventure.org
www.facebook.com/aspieadventure

Reedo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Jun 2016, 10:48 pm

I agree. I moved to the mountains to help moderate my symptoms. Doing outdoor activities by myself slows my mind and helps me not be as 'focused' (which may be the opposite of what you're talking about). Biking and hiking seem to be the best as the repetitious physical exercise without over exertion seems to sedate my mind and I'm not as likely to obsess on my triggers. I seem to be a bit more social when engaging in these activities as well, but that disappears once I get back to town.

Unfortunately, we all (Aspies that is) have different manifestations of the syndrome so who knows if what works for one of us works for us all, but exercise is good for everyone so it can't hurt.

MaizeFlower
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Jun 2016, 10:59 pm

The Japanese concept of "Forest Bathing" appeals to me because looking at all of the beautiful trees and the way the sun reflects on them makes me feel good. Also the clean air and warm sun also feels good to me also.

Just smelling the wet dirt and dust in the wind after rain is also peaceful :)

I just like silently walking or listening to music at the park or open field at my university. I like looking at trails and listening to the rivers (I live in NC, so there are a lot)

NathanC
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

08 Jun 2016, 2:44 am

Reedo - I agree that repetitious exercise is particularly helpful! Some of my favorite trails are fairly steep & sustained climbs that afford that sedative effect you mention. I will have to give cycling a try and see if the results are similar :) . As for focusing - perhaps I could have clarified that a bit better by saying I'm more dedicated in pursuing a particular long-term goal, rather than losing interest or being distracted along the way. However - while in the moment and doing these activities, my experience sounds similar to yours, in that my mind is able to slow down. I agree that outdoor activity isn't a solution for everyone, but I also believe Autism and Aspergers are often wrongly painted with a stereotype that would exclude one doing such activities.

MaizeFlower - I like that term, "Forest Bathing"! I see many tree baths in my future now, haha! I admit, the number of stimuli in some environments can be overwhelming at first; but once you take the time to study their complexities, it all takes on an entrancing beauty. You're living in a very gorgeous part of the country as well. I hiked the AT in the Smoky Mountains not far from you, and many times I've found myself wanting to go back :D

Also, a newbie blogger:
www.aspieadventure.org
www.facebook.com/aspieadventure

Muziek
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Jun 2016, 2:13 am

I agree with the posters above that outdoor activities have a soothing and refreshing effect on the brain. I would do it more often if I had some friends to do it with. Esp. longer outdoor activities is more enjoyable with a few people you know well, for sure it is safer.

If I am not mistaking, fellow forum member Seaweed likes to go on outdoor activities as well. I remember her talk on WP about a bicycle holiday.

BirdInFlight
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2016, 3:58 am

I love the forest and woodland parks and lakes; my happiest state of being is when I'm out in Nature and also the animals play a huge part in that for me.

Researchers claim that just letting your eyes rest on greenery -- trees and grass and a natural landscape -- changes your brain chemistry and activates the feel-good hormones.

Grischa
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Jun 2016, 6:55 am

Nature is my favourite low sensory environment- walking there with my dog
But cities can be fine too - especially when they are really busy as cities in India are: so busy, so many people, that they lose their individuality, they are just "people" as a lot of trees are just "forest"

Anybody has his/her favourite forest/park/etc?
Mine: Dal Lake, a lake in North-India, connected with canals, that float through a swamp area, flanked by mountains of the Himalaya on the one side and the old city of Srinagar on the other side. On the city side of the lake, the British built house boats (cause they were not allowed to live in the city)

JoeyFlash
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Jun 2016, 5:03 pm

My grandparents own a ranch with about 36 acres of land in Central California. sometimes, we just sit at the patio sitting area and watch the parachutists and wind gliders in the sky while drinking coffee or something. I also like hiking and hunting on the property. I find it relaxing to just sit down and feel the sunshine, breeze, and the textures of my Air-Rifle while waiting for a ground squirrel or rabbit to pop their head up.

Who's there?

Matthew.

Matthew who?

Math you couldn't do unless you had an IQ of 184.

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2016, 6:01 pm

I love camping. It's such a relaxing place to hang out. I also enjoy hiking quite a bit too but I'm not in very good shape so I can't hike any sort of challenging trail. But it is cleansing.

MannyBoo
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jul 2016, 5:51 am

i like walking and hiking in the mountain areas near my home. when there is nobody there, especially with 1000 years old ruins and sites.

if i have a problem in life i remember millions of people before my birth and after my death, they also had/is having/will have... life problems, some even worse than me. so surrounded by nature and history makes my problems get very small... i know i can overcome very big problems exactly because i am very small.

Dillogic
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2016, 6:54 am

Yo

I'm a big bush walker and explorer (off trails on private and state land). Being in da woods, mountains, and plains, is my most funnest thing to do.

yourkiddingme3
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Jul 2016, 7:26 am

IMO the best outdoor activities are done on horseback! The simplicity of a non-human relationship added to exercise, the outdoors, and the freedom to either soak in woods or fields without getting lost, or, once you're comfortable galloping, almost fly.

Plus no backpack; the horse carries everything.

blueroses
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2016, 9:14 pm

I love spending time outdoors; it's very grounding for me. I really enjoy hiking, although I just lost my hiking buddy and guess I will need to find a new one. Most days I just settle for a walk in the park across the street from my office over lunch.

raisedbywookiees
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

21 Aug 2016, 9:10 pm

The outdoors is one of the few places I feel I have a right to be in the world.

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

21 Aug 2016, 9:51 pm

I love nature and the outdoors, from beaches to rainforests to mountains to waterfalls, to deserts and everything in-between.

I do struggle though with being in it for too long, such as camping, and hiking can also be difficult depending on how intolerable the conditions are (like I struggle when there's lot of mosquitos, it's hot and humid, etc.)

I'd rather hike/walk with the proper equipment along a natural beach/rainforest mix, at least the ocean breeze would keep my cool and I could stay hydrated with water.

I haven't hiked too much though but want to get into in someday.

A new hobby of mine is, strangely enough, tree-climbing. I was never good at it as a kid, but nowadays I have the body for it and like to test myself by climbing them as quickly and carefully as possible.

I also enjoy 'natural' parkour/freerunning (running, jumping and climbing up, through, below and over trees, rocks, hills, streams, etc.), but there's only one decent spot I've found for it so far. It's almost the perfect spot for freerunning.

Exploring natural places and jogging on the beach are also always nice experiences.

Aside from the exercise aspects, I also like the fresh air, feeling of the wind/water/air, visuals and sounds of most natural places, it sounds and feels very relaxing and meditative for the mind.

climbergirl7
Butterfly
Butterfly

07 Sep 2016, 6:03 pm

Climbing is Amazing!! !! It has helped me in almost every aspect of my life:) I feel so much better as a person, my mood is better, I'm strong and also have good esteem. Glad to have found a fellow climber:) I also live in the mountains because I feel so much better when I can wake up and breathe the fresh air! Hiking and camping are also loves of mine.