Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

randomeu
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2016, 2:10 pm

okay so im going to university in september (like the title says) but my problem is, that its going to be a huge change, i dont deal well with change, its hard to deal with it. what im looking for here is any advice to adapt, to sort of change my way of planning...this might not make sense at all.

summary: im worried about going to university because of the huge change it requires and im not sure how im going to deal with being that independent and remembering to do all the stuff ill need to do for myself when i get there.

are there any techniques for dealing with change like this?

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 174 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 30 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Officially diagnosed 30th june 2017

yelekam
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2016, 11:30 pm

Here are a few tips from my experience in college.
Get a day planner book to keep track of what you need to do. Get a couple of folders to keep important documents related to the university in; including financial paperwork, documents related to academic services. etcetera/ It would be good to keep a print out of your weekly class schedule and a map of the university campus in the folder or somewhere regularly with you, at least until you get down remembering your schedule and how to get to classes.
Try to find a place to eat meals in. For me I chose the second floor of my University's campus center, because it is a place with tables you could eat at and is usually fairly calm.
Work on knowing and participating with whatever academic services are available to help you.
Find places for you to be when your not in class or in your room. Now this could the library, a coffee shop, a park, basically whatever place you feel safe to take refuge in, hangout, study, or work on projects in.

These are few of the things which I can think off the top of my head. Let me know if you would like any further suggestions on matters.

Jacoby
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Permanently banned by power tripping mods lol this forum is trash

03 Jun 2016, 11:58 pm

get as many supports as possible; in the community, disability services, peer, whatever

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2016, 12:31 am

Use a PDA-Device to help you with reminders for when/what you need to do with its alarms. Put an Appointment/Calendar-App on your iPhone/Tablet and set multiple alarms for important events. Most of these Applications even let you give specific names to the events to remind you what you need to do next... just discipline yourself into following the bell consistently and you should be golden.

randomeu wrote:
summary: im worried about going to university because of the huge change it requires and im not sure how im going to deal with being that independent and remembering to do all the stuff ill need to do for myself when i get there.

are there any techniques for dealing with change like this?

randomeu
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2016, 8:56 am

hmm i think my phone has an alarm system like that, with a calendar, i guess ill have to get used to using it haha, hmm maybe this wont be so bad......i guess ill adjust eventually with a proper planning thing like that

VinoVeritas
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Jun 2016, 4:58 pm

Using the phone's calendar is an excellent idea. Also get in the habit of using its notepad feature to keep a to-do list (or lists). Having a list will keep you from feeling overwhelmed. You might also look for opportunities to establish a regular routine. This might be as simple as one thing you do once a week or so. At one time in college I set aside Friday evenings to play videogames with my cat. (He liked to chase the mouse around the screen while I played.) One repetitive, familiar thing helped me reduce the sensory overload and the feeling of being lost at sea.

College is a difficult transition, and probably more so for those of us on the spectrum. But if you believe strongly enough that you can do it, that will become a self-fulfilling prophecy. Good luck.

randomeu
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2016, 9:13 am

VinoVeritas wrote:
Using the phone's calendar is an excellent idea. Also get in the habit of using its notepad feature to keep a to-do list (or lists). Having a list will keep you from feeling overwhelmed. You might also look for opportunities to establish a regular routine. This might be as simple as one thing you do once a week or so. At one time in college I set aside Friday evenings to play videogames with my cat. (He liked to chase the mouse around the screen while I played.) One repetitive, familiar thing helped me reduce the sensory overload and the feeling of being lost at sea.

College is a difficult transition, and probably more so for those of us on the spectrum. But if you believe strongly enough that you can do it, that will become a self-fulfilling prophecy. Good luck.

thats actually really good advice! i never thought of those things, should definitly find some sort of routine i do now....and try to keep it when i get there, well i play video games too so maybe if i keep doing that....yeah this will work very well, i can't believe i didn't think of this