do ALL autistic people have developmental delays?

Page 1 of 4 [ 58 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

PeachCastella
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

02 Jun 2016, 2:29 pm

do all autistics have developmental delays like in walking, talking, learning, etc? i had significant talking and learning delays ( i have kanners)

Pieplup
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2016, 2:54 pm

Yeah, Even if they don't have noticable developmental delays they could have one delayed milestone Technicly having abnormal development rather early or late would still be a developmental delay I spoke when I was 1 and walked when I was one and a half. I don't know about potty training for there is no information about it on the checklist on cdc. Okay, from what I see I was about 1 to 1 1/2 Years late. God damn, No wonder there is so many developmentally delayed children this site is confusing. Mind blowing how self centered these articles are. All about the parents. :lol: "Why don't you ask CDC." - Sarcasm

Rebel_Nowe
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2016, 3:21 pm

Yes. Autism is strictly characterized by social developmental delays. Even if there is no significant skill or intellectual delay, there will be social delays.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2016, 4:35 pm

IMO, any ideas about ASD and delays in developmental growth are misconceptions.

However IMO, it would also depend on what form of ASD a person with an ASD has.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2016, 8:54 pm

There are some autistic people who do NOT have developmental delays (i.e., they walk and talk at the "normal" ages), but who might experience delays in the social aspects of things. Or in things that require fine motor coordination such as riding bikes or tying shoes.

Just like there are very intelligent people who have learning disabilities.

spinelli
Toucan
Toucan

02 Jun 2016, 9:13 pm

I had training wheels on forever but once I got it, I was very proficient. I had a 2x 30 minute coordination class in elementary school . Met twice a week where I assisted recess for kindergarten. It helped me pick up skills yet I didn't know at the time . I enjoyed helping.

Other times counselor at school did Transaction Analysis workshops with me. The school district provided all these aids.

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2016, 9:16 pm

I would think there are always at least conceptual delays when it comes to social interacting.

MadFialka
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Jun 2016, 10:23 pm

For me, I was walking/talking/potty trained really early... But apparently the staff at my nursery school (I would have been two or three) expressed concern about the fact that I refused to socialize with other children. Seems I preferred to hide away somewhere and stare at picture books rather than play with other kids. So, maybe there's that? I remember being taken out of class in first or second grade and taking all these tests by myself in the school library - my mother told me it was because they thought I might not understand English well because we were immigrants and I was so quiet, but I wonder now if there wasn't more to it - especially since I remember my teachers praising me for being so smart at that same age. It's hard to get facts about the past out of my mother, what with the language barrier (she does not, in fact, understand English as well as she likes to think) and her tendency to change a story with each telling.

So I don't know about ALL, but I suspect most of us do have development delays, but for some of us it would be social, specifically. A subtle thing, easy to dismiss as extreme shyness, as it was with me.

ZombieBrideXD
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jun 2016, 10:25 pm

I had a few minor ones, potty training, weening off a bottle, fine motor skills.

I actually had more developmental delays as a teenager, I wasn't devolpi g emotionally and socially at the same rate as my peers.

Overall; no, not everyone with ASD is delayed.

DA: http://mephilesdark123.deviantart.com

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2016, 12:06 am

I was developmentally delayed. I felt I was slow in maturing and growing up. Thought I never had a problem with daily living, it was with emotions and social and understanding and I did walk a little late. I also talked late too and was language delayed for a long time.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2016, 12:16 am

Some ASD people naturally have aspects of advanced development, rather than delayed - eg there are many very early self-taught readers and this ability to self teach to that level is a really remarkable one.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2016, 12:30 am

I was academic delay.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2016, 1:06 am

I was average in EVERYTHING until I got to about 5, then intellectual, social and emotional skills slowed a bit compared to my peers. But as a baby and a toddler I was normal, even socially.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2016, 3:31 am

Some considered me as "Gifted and Impaired" but nevermind that.
I was not delayed in any basic milestones until my mid-late childhood, which is all social and mostly verbal related.
I'm either average or advanced in almost everything except emotionally and socially.
My strengths were at least 5 to 8 years ahead of my age, weaknesses were around 6 to 7 years delayed, according to my last diagnosis.

It's just a common case of having an odd developmental profile.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

Chichikov
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2016, 4:02 am

It's a developmental disorder so the nature and severity of the delay will vary depending on the type of autism and the individual, but in general people with ASD do indeed have delayed development.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2016, 4:54 am

By definition, there will be developmental delays. That is part of the criteria. They are usually social and emotional. Sometimes they can be physical like with motor skills. Sometimes they can also be intellectual but not always.

Wreck It Ralph