Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

muffinhead
Toucan
Toucan

02 Jun 2016, 4:32 pm

I've heard that this item can help calm down those with autism. Is there any similar sensation that I can experience prior to spending a small fortune on one of these?

StarTrekker
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2016, 1:18 am

Are you looking for ways to determine whether such weight would be helpful for you, or do you already know it is, and are looking for alternatives to a weighted blanket?

If the former, the easiest way to find out if you respond positively to pressure is to have someone squeeze you, or lie under heavy but soft objects like sofa cushions or a large pile of blankets.

If the latter, you could try a weighted vest, which is less expensive than a blanket, and has the added benefit of being able to be worn out of the house. If you can sew at all, it's very easy to make your own blanket or lap pad; just get two panels of fabric at whatever size you want your blanket to be, then sew squares into them and fill them with polyfil pelletes or other weights as you go. Youtube has several tutorials on the subject. If you can't sew, wrapping yourself tightly in a regular blanket can be effective too. Just spread it out on the floor, lie on one end, holding a corner, then roll yourself up in it as tight as you can.

Thanks to Olympiadis for my fantastic avatar!

B19
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2016, 4:56 am

There are many different threads about weighted blankets - see links to old ones at the bottom of this forum page by scrolling down the page, and there is another recent one in Random (viewtopic.php?t=309717). Unfortunately the search function at the top of the page isn't very efficient (at least when I try to use it) at locating previous threads about any particular topic anymore.

Wolfram87
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2016, 10:21 am

I've wondered from time to time how hard it would be to simply make such a blanket yourself. I personally suck at crafts, but I imagine that, with patience and some basic sewing skills, one could be assembled from a new or used duvet and x amount of chain from your local hardware store.