A question born of a depressed curiosity

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Yupa
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2005, 4:41 pm

I don't hate the world. I never have, and I never will. But the world and I are on slightly uneasy terms.
For some reason, I just simply don't understand other people. A lot of times, I don't really even understand myself.
Sometimes I feel clear inside and my head seems to be lifted of a weight, but is this happiness no more than, of all things, a form of blindness?
Sometimes I wonder if my plans for the future will be realized, or if circumstances, not necessarily circumstances I've created, will wipe them off my path, even if they are goals that I am intent upon achieving. Sometimes I wonder if my life's goals are nothing more than a mirage.
I wish for all who may read this to answer to me the question 'Are one's hopes and goals real, or no more than a series of comfortable illusions that we believe are real and achievable?' I ask you also to yourselves ponder this question.
(Cross-posted to http://livejournal.com/users/lord_daffodil )

Mashi
Developer
Developer

27 May 2005, 5:03 pm

I don't think theress an easy answer to your question, I'm afraid...

Ante
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2005, 6:20 pm

Deleted

Last edited by Ante on 09 Nov 2005, 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ElfMan
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2005, 9:25 pm

YES! I feel very confused and frustrated with the world at times...yet stangely fascinated and awed by it.

Elfman's daily 'poor me' message, brought to you by "It's All About Me" free to air frequency.
Thankyou for you subscription!

pizzaboss
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2005, 10:22 pm

The world can be frustating and cruel at times.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2005, 3:35 pm

Goals are not real at all until they are realized. Some are never realized. But the DETERMINATION is more real than the goals, themselves. This is what I would say one can depend on. Sometimes things don't work out as we had planned; sometimes they turn out better; sometimes they turn out worse; and sometimes they just turn out.

But I would say the most concrete and close one can get to achieving the reality of a goal is putting effort into the determination part of it. One simply has a better chance of it that way. You can't learn how to swim if you don't have the determination to get in the water.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

pizzaboss
Veteran
Veteran

28 May 2005, 5:59 pm

Determination is the key for sure.

SINsister
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2005, 11:50 pm

I wish I still *had* hopes and goals...they all died years ago, alas. :evil: :cry:

~Steve Jobs

Prometheus
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2005, 8:49 am

while we have little "control" over our lives I believe history has given each and every one of us choices in how we live our lives. Make your choices wisely, and you may find that one may be closer to accomplishing your dreams than you realize.

Postperson
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2005, 7:48 pm

Illusions are necessary!

SINsister
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2005, 2:08 pm

Postperson wrote:
Illusions are necessary!

:evil: I can't deal with "illusions" - anything but the absolute truth pisses me off... Feh.

~Steve Jobs

anbuend
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2005, 6:58 pm

This whole discussion seems to be taking place from a mindset that is different than mine, so I am not sure how to respond. I don't really set goals, I just do what seems to be necessary or right to do. I'm reasonably happy. Living for setting future goals seems alien to me. I know a lot of conclusions could be drawn out of these statements to view me as lazy and unmotivated, but that's not how I mean what I'm saying.