Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Starfoxx
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2016, 6:03 pm

I like writing fiction because it helps me to make sense of things and is cathartic. What about you?

MaizeFlower
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

03 Jun 2016, 6:37 pm

The reason why I write is because no other medium is able to convey my thoughts correctly. I am able to draw as well, but my art is different than my writing. I find writing to be more engaging for me while drawing is more soothing and even meditative. I get a mental rush when I write and it makes me more satisfied than most things I do.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jun 2016, 6:41 pm

I can relate to the mental rush and feel like I have endorphins release when I've really polished a piece into something I like. Writing allows me to express ideas and feelings in a way that makes sense to me. I also do it because I feel I have to. If I don't write at least a little each day, I tend to get annoyed or uncomfortable. It's almost a bodily function, like if I didn't get enough sleep.

I think the catharsis comes from enjoying the proper arrangement of rhythm and vowel sounds (writing can be very musical), and also from putting emotions into images.

yogiB1
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

03 Jun 2016, 8:26 pm

I think of it as a means of cleaning up my brain. I write to process things that I'm going through. Writing gives me the ability to draw the clutter and overwhelming thoughts out of my head and organize them. I also write because it's something I'm passionate about. Whether it be a blog or a book, it's a very cathartic process.

queensamaria
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

03 Jun 2016, 9:22 pm

I love to write because it helps me relax and express myself.

butyouseemso

04 Jun 2016, 6:57 am

It's about taking yourself to another world. Or at least another version of reality. What if this happened? What if this didn't happen?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2016, 8:20 pm

When I write fiction, and I'm really cooking, I can feel genuine ecstasy. I give life to people who otherwise never lived, except in my head. That, and I can tell myself that I'm a genuine artist. :lol:

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2016, 4:46 pm

i used to be a really avid writer and am trying to slowly get back into it. I used to write poetry to help me vent and to sort of give myself better self awareness. it was like holding a mirror up to my mind and being able to see it's inner workings far better. Unfortunately I have a really hard time staying focused and edit things to hell. Which is what stopped me. Nothing was ever good enough because i was trying to hard instead of using it for me like it started. So I lost it and am trying to get it back.

PeachCastella
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Jun 2016, 11:38 am

because i have plenty of colored pencils on hand and listen to tears for fears

LittleLu
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

13 Jun 2016, 11:48 am

I like to write because it gives me a chance to metaphorically state what's on my mind without actually saying it out loud. I make a lot of my characters go through experiences or feelings that I have once felt in my life, or dread feeling or experiencing, and it's therapeutic. If I've recently had a fight with someone, I will model characters and situations after the real fight, and have them work it out. It puts things into perspective for me. I also have a huge love for linguistics, so it's my personal drug.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2016, 8:11 am

For me it's a way of using my imagination. Writing is like a mature version of playing. Instead of playing with a dolls house, I write about a made-up family.

Also I sometimes get into a certain movie or TV series, and that movie or TV series is so good and entertaining, that I feel I can't get enough of it, so I write my own version of it.

And lately I've been listening to creepypastas on the internet, and they have given me good story ideas if I want to write creepy stories.

When I write, it's usually either about normal family life, or creepy stuff.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2016, 10:21 am

Joe90 wrote:
For me it's a way of using my imagination. Writing is like a mature version of playing. Instead of playing with a dolls house, I write about a made-up family.

Also I sometimes get into a certain movie or TV series, and that movie or TV series is so good and entertaining, that I feel I can't get enough of it, so I write my own version of it.

And lately I've been listening to creepypastas on the internet, and they have given me good story ideas if I want to write creepy stories.

When I write, it's usually either about normal family life, or creepy stuff.

Creepy stuff! :thumleft:

xxZeromancerlovexx
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2016, 3:51 pm

I'm a little late answering this but here it goes. I write or at least used to because I can control what happens. I may not seem to be one but I'm actually a control freak and I enjoy planning and knowing what to expect. When it comes to real life I can only control certain things but in writing I can control every little thing in the plot and dialogue.

-Down, The Birthday Massacre

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2016, 4:03 pm

Because it makes med feel alive and focused.

Danae
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2016, 4:22 pm

It started with being a great reader, and then a movie buff. I love stories, atmospheres and characters, and have lots of adventures and daydreaming in my head, and strange dreams at night. It's merely make all that bag of illusions come to life. A good way to free yourself from it although it's not reality, and distancing yourself from and keeping a certain grasp on it. It allows me to use both analysis - observation and research - and intuition - connecting things a personal way and going with the flow.

"Ever since I was a child, I’ve never allowed myself to get too close to people. I’ve avoided emotional attachment. Perhaps I’ve been so afraid of death and dying that any connection just seemed like a bad thing, something that wouldn’t last." Dana Scully - Christmas Carol.

Hyperborean
Veteran
Veteran

23 Aug 2016, 4:29 pm

I write because I have to.