Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

luvtaread
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Jun 2016, 10:47 pm

So I am curious. Can anyone describe what language based thinking is?

I understand the sensory/picture thinking because that is how I think. But I have never had anyone describe what language based thinking is or what it is like.

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2016, 2:13 am

I've wondered that too. I'm just posting to bump the thread and make it easier for me to find again.

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

DrePhoton
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Jun 2016, 5:15 am

Im language thinker. When im planning for something or repairung things im having monologue inside my head about things i see and things i need to do. example if i see bird or something and i start to wonder where its going i will "speak" to my self about the probabilites where its going. Its really hard to explain how i think. :)

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2016, 5:33 am

DrePhoton wrote:
Im language thinker. When im planning for something or repairung things im having monologue inside my head about things i see and things i need to do. example if i see bird or something and i start to wonder where its going i will "speak" to my self about the probabilites where its going. Its really hard to explain how i think. :)

I do something similar. Most thoughts for me are language, I think. But I will also think in pictures at times. For example, I may need to say someone's name and I picture them but can't remember their name at that moment. Do you also think both ways?

Tiankay
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: 3rd Street on the right, just after the event horizon...

04 Jun 2016, 7:00 am

im a mix of language & picture thinker. In my head, there is this endless monologue that starts when i wake up, and stops when i fall asleep. And even then it doesnt really stop, in the rare event i remember my dreams it goes on there too. Everything i see, everything that happens, my head has something to say about it. I truly wish that it would shut up for some time but i doesnt. But i also think in pictures, memorys, imagination ahead, it all works in pictures. They just flash up before me. My 2 oldest memorys date back to when i was a baby and couldnt even speak, so its only the picture of it. Im also pretty good at visualising things. Like walking/driving paths of people/cars, it s abit like these rearview parking monitors, but in my head. Or how technical things look inside...

Peace
TK

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jun 2016, 8:16 am

Does this picture thinking concept also include sound, touch, smell, ET see? Or do people primarily think visually and not in other senses if they are sensory thinkers?

I have my internal monologue. I can also imagine what people might say in certain situations, hearing it in their voice, not mine. In memory, I sometimes recall their voices saying things. I think of how things feel in my hand, sometimes of smells and tastes.

luvtaread
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Jun 2016, 9:22 am

I think the picture thinking also includes sounds, smells and such. I often recall pictures with how the memory felt, smelt or how loud. I also have vivid memories of when I was very young (a baby) and people looking over the edge of the crib at me, so that is obviously a visual memory.

I suppose I also do the internal monologue. Especially when I am doing something difficult I will talk myself through it, either in my head or aloud. I also tend to wake up with a song stuck in my head. Doesn't always have to be a song I heard recently, something in my dreams must trigger it.

Thanks guys! I have a much better understanding now. There is always such a plethora of information for visual based thinking but not as much about NT thinking.

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2016, 1:46 pm

I have that monologue too, but it turns off regularly. When it's off I usually just have a song playing in my head while I think in images.

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art