Anyone else hate those survey people in shopping malls??! !!

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2016, 5:27 am

I've had a survey person block my path before. He was very insistant, and stood in my way. I had a bus to catch, but he was like "it won't take a minute", and started asking me my name and address and lots of other identity questions. The only thing I could do was run, but I didn't want to cause a scene. He wanted me to become a member of something I didn't want to.

I think that has put me off giving them the time of day. Now I just walk by and look uninterested.

leozelig
Toucan
Toucan

05 Jun 2016, 6:09 am

If someone stops me and asks me to do a survey, I just say no thank you. And if I'm feeling low, I might just look the other way when they try to talk to me and keep on walking. I know they're just doing their job so it doesn't really piss me off once I see them, I just move on.

People asking you for something when you're outside doesn't obligate you to respond. Maybe it's rude but I am probably already overstimulated just being outside. I live in a busy city so I am comfortable with ignoring people. It's just the way it is outside, people are there but you don't have to talk to anyone if you don't want to.

Mustangboss429
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Jun 2016, 12:24 pm

I just walk past and ignore them, pretend i didnt even notice them so that theres no need for me to communicate with them.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2016, 6:04 pm

I'm somewhere between mortified and smug, when the salesmen find a querulous or lonely person. Earplugs would be nice, but you deserve it. :nerdy:

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2016, 3:50 pm

I continue going my way whenever I see them.

Also, does anyone react in a similar manner whenever you see petitioners in your city's streets?

AnaHitori
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2016, 3:56 pm

I've never seen that around here, but they sound annoying. I like to be left alone, please.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2016, 4:26 pm

If I can get 10 extra bucks for taking a survey, I'd take it!

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2016, 4:27 pm

I don't exactly hate them because I have no trouble saying no to them, I mitigate any guilt by just focussing on how rude it is to approach strangers on behalf of capitalists. I feel I can cope with a life devoid of their freebies. It's good practice in politely saying no to people and (when I'm irritable) in being slightly aggressive. One day I might yank their chain by agreeing and then taking ages to answer each question, discussing them in great depth before committing to a response, and letting them gradually realise that my replies are getting stranger and stranger. But I'd have to have heaps of spare time, and I'm a busy man.

Last edited by ToughDiamond on 09 Jun 2016, 6:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2016, 4:27 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
If I can get 10 extra bucks for taking a survey, I'd take it!

My time is worth a thousand pound a minute.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2016, 4:37 pm

Today I came across one of those sales/survey people, a black man, and he smiled and said, ''you look like a friendly young lady, could you spare one minute?'' It was a weekday morning, no crowds, but I generally had an appointment in less than five minutes, so I stopped and smiled and said, ''no thank you, I've got to be somewhere and I'm running late already''. Because I was calm (because there was no crowds) and it was a sunny, hot morning, I was polite, as he was a nice friendly man.

But last Saturday, it was all a different matter. It was busy, there was crowds and crowds of people, I was feeling stressed and not in the best of moods, and these demanding salespeople were calling out to me, and it just added to my bad mood and so that was why I was a bit rude. Also I don't like being surveyed when it's crowded, because people probably walk by and gloat because I'm caught with the salespeople while they are walking by and don't have to stop. I do get self-conscious like that when I'm in crowds. I can't help it. I just like to get what I want and get home again, and I don't want to be bothered by anyone (unless I know somebody).

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2016, 6:54 pm

What's up with the sudden rise of survey requests these days?

Big data going verbal?

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2016, 4:22 am

Haven't really come across survey people, but I hate tin-rattlers, fundraisers, sales people, taste test things, political campaigners, anything that involves coming at me when I'm walking.
It's the social awkwardness on steroids. They come at you all chatty, but they don't want to chat, they want money. Their sole purpose for approaching is to try and force you into giving them money. Otherwise, they'd set up a booth or something and stay the hell away. It's all disingenuous and faked.
I will cross the street to get away from these people if I see them up ahead. Or if I see them in the shopping centre, I won't go in. Something about being come at like that makes me panic. Because I haven't worked out how to deal with the interaction in advance, they're just springing it on me.
Ugh. Hate it. But I know many neurotypical peoples who hate it too, whether they're just shy or think the practice is rude and pushy.