Why are some people such hard skeptics about some things?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

K_Kelly
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2016, 4:16 pm

Why are some people such hard skeptics about things that seem to be happening before our very eyes? Like my parents, they are very hard skeptics, especially my dad, whenever I try to let him know what's on my mind, by his intimidating tone of voice, I read he reacts like a screaming loud-mouthed bigot half the time, even though he wouldn't say that he was. At least mom seems to try to be more subtle and calm.

I talk about everything with my parents, but it's hard to talk about my fears of superi-intelligence, robots taking every single job available, obesity epidemic, global warming, etc. because they are such strong skeptics, almost to the point of bigotry. It seems that they are stuck in their ways forever and I can't change their mind. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to "cure" me of these fears.

It's so hard, which is another reason why it sucks to live with them still.

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2016, 4:36 pm

it definitely sucks to feel misunderstood. I wish I had an answer to give you that would make your father calm down. Some people get way too angry.

The thing about fears is, they're possibilities. There are intelligent people on both sides of the AI doom/AI utopia debate, and people in the middle. We've got climate change happening, and there's debate about whether things will get better and what the people of this planet will do in years to come. Maybe there's someone out there, but I don't know anyone who knows all the answers. As individuals, we unfortunately don't have that much power to change policy either, although we can advocate. We can only do what we can do.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2016, 8:14 am

With the climate change skeptics, it seems they would rather denial because acceptance means there must be action, and change, and that action may inconvenience them or alter their way of life, when they prefer it how it is. That seems to be what it boils down to in most I have spoken to.
Other times hostility is out of a fear that you might be right. Maybe he's scared of super intelligent robot apocalypse too :wink:
But good luck trying to work out the real motivations for others' behaviour out!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2016, 8:25 am

Don't think of us skeptics as party-poopers.

Think of us instead as designated drivers.

Superior intelligence? Half of the people in the world are of below-average intelligence, and they make at least half of the decisions. They are the ones you should fear!

Robots taking over all of the jobs? Only the jobs that don't involve creativity.

Obesity epidemic? Eat less; exercise more; problem solved.

Global warming? Stop using carbon-based fuels, reduce the global population, or both.

Better yet, forget about these "global" issues that you can do little to nothing about. Focus instead on personal issues, and you'll find that your own little world eventually improves.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

seaweed
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2016, 10:48 am

skeptics of what?
i'm skeptical that the obesity epidemic would be fixed if everyone actually did "eat less, exercise more". the big food corporations and their governmental allies want people to think it's all their own fault, yet still maintain a low enough level of easily accessible information so that people keep buying into their sickly sweet s**t. and the diseases which come from it (heart disease, cancer, diabetes, etc.) are often co-morbid with obesity but not exclusive to it, because it's not just the amount of food but also the type of food. thinking about it makes me imagine people as maggots...ugh

tangent aside, skepticism is cool because it creates an inquiry. i'd argue that if your parents are skeptical of everything you say about the things you've mentioned above without having a proper discussion with you about them they're not being good skeptics.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2016, 11:26 am

K_Kelly wrote:
Why are some people such hard skeptics about things that seem to be happening before our very eyes? Like my parents, they are very hard skeptics, especially my dad, whenever I try to let him know what's on my mind, by his intimidating tone of voice, I read he reacts like a screaming loud-mouthed bigot half the time, even though he wouldn't say that he was. At least mom seems to try to be more subtle and calm.

I talk about everything with my parents, but it's hard to talk about my fears of superi-intelligence, robots taking every single job available, obesity epidemic, global warming, etc. because they are such strong skeptics, almost to the point of bigotry. It seems that they are stuck in their ways forever and I can't change their mind. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if they tried to "cure" me of these fears.

It's so hard, which is another reason why it sucks to live with them still.

I think that "skeptic" is the wrong word. I think that you mean "close minded". A "skeptic" is someone who questions things- and wieghs the evidence. Sounds like your parents dont dialogue with you, nor actually think about the issues you're talking about. They just scream at you.

Everyone with strong beliefs (including I) are defensive of those beliefs. But it sounds like your folks are excessively closed to even talking about any intrusive ideas. Dont know why.

As an aside I have to ask: what do you mean by "fear of superior intelligence"? Do you mean "artifical intelligence"(ie computers taking over)? Or what?

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2016, 12:11 pm

Your Thread-Title would be more accurate if worded...

"Why are some people such Extreme Fundamentalists/Dogmatists against some things?"

You will get different answers depending on whom you ask. Here are some of the various answers I've encountered:
* Deep-Rooted or Rigid Belief-Systems
* Beyond their Current Mental-Capacity to Understand
* Spell-Bound by Religious-Beliefs
* Hypnotised by Cultural-Belief (essentially the same as the line before this one)
* Huge Emotional-Investments Into Believing That Such Things Are Impossible (i.e. : Cognitive-Dissonance)
* May be Related to Traumas From Living Through the World-Wars & They Rather Not "Believe" That it is Repeating
* Mind-Control Devices/Methods/Systems (Now You Get to Have Fun Being Called a Conspiracy Theorist Lunatic)
* High Volumes of Sin That Prevent Them From the Ability to Recognise Truth/Reality/Fact
* Related to Above : They Are "Karmically" Required to be Deceived Due to Past Complicity to Deception Upon Others
* Organic-Portals (Now We Get to Take Being a Tin-Foil Hat-Wearing Lunatic Conspiracy Theorist to a Whole New Level)
* ...Lizard People, Matrix, Mass-Hypnosis, Mind-Control, Propaganda, etc., etc. (Essential Same as Previous Line...)

Alright, now that I have covered most-all of the answers from so-called Reasonable to so-called Insane, a lot of it can probably simply be boiled down to a form of Thought-Pattern called Group-Think. Some people have "Figures" whom they look up to a lot, and if said "Figure" (i.e. : what would be equivalent in their mind to their ideal role-model) believes X, then they, too, will also believe X. The word "Figures" can also be synonymously exchanged with Idols, Authorities, Experts, Credible Sources, Books, Scriptures, Government, Gurus, (Cult-)Leaders, etc.

I even had students in the past who said to me before : "If that's what you believe then that's what I believe."
For the record, you do not need to convince your parents of anything, let them "happily" believe in their paradigms.
Like stated before, the best you can do is to work on yourself, just get on with your life & prepare as necessary.
I might recommend learning about how to generate your own electricity, how to grow your own food, etc.

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2016, 1:17 pm

Ban-Dodger wrote:
Some people have "Figures" whom they look up to a lot, and if said "Figure" (i.e. : what would be equivalent in their mind to their ideal role-model) believes X, then they, too, will also believe X. The word "Figures" can also be synonymously exchanged with Idols, Authorities, Experts, Credible Sources, Books, Scriptures, Government, Gurus, (Cult-)Leaders, etc.

Judging by your post history, however, random videos on YouTube are apparently exempt from this litany of unreliable sources :roll:. How convenient.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jun 2016, 5:33 pm

Feel free to show me what "random link-generator" I must be using to make them so apparently random. ;o
You are certainly free to believe that they are random even when they are specifically related to those threads... :mrgreen:

GGPViper wrote:
Judging by your post history, however, random videos on YouTube are apparently exempt from this litany of unreliable sources :roll:. How convenient.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2016, 8:02 pm

Fear?

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2016, 8:08 pm

Ask a different but related question and see where the thought trails take you:

Why are some people so completely gullible about some things?

There Are Four Lights!

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2016, 8:10 pm

Darmok wrote:
Ask a different but related question and see where the thought trails take you: Why are some people so completely gullible about some things?
Careful there ... using reason and logic will make you a target for abuse!

:wink:

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.