A puzzling situation...how to break the ice with this woman?

Page 3 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2016, 7:05 pm

There's always a socially acceptable way to make you look like a creep no matter what you do or refrain from doing. Even if you think it's impossible, a determined neurotypical will effortlessly achieve that goal.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2016, 12:25 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Her reaction was due to a sudden ego boost but that doesn't necessarily mean she likes the guy.

Did you see them togother all the time afterward?

Chronos wrote:
Brianruns10 wrote:
No luck, the opportunity hasn't made itself manifest. Which is fine. Frankly I find that talking to women just isn't worth the risk of embarassing myself.

It's not really unusual for neighbors in the same building to introduce themselves to other neighbors. If you did get up early and introduce yourself on the way out, there would really be nothing unusual about that, and if she acts like you are a creep in response to a socially acceptable introduction, then she is the problem, and you should have no cause for embarrassment.

You could say something like "Hello! I'm Brian. I live on the (whatever floor). I see you down here a lot and I just wanted to introduce myself."

If she responds poorly then you know she has problems, but chances are, she will respond in a socially acceptable manner.

I'm fairly certain the way she reacted was indicative of actual attraction due to her physiological response. I think she had had a thing for him and perhaps he picked up on that. She seemed very excited about the whole thing. I could not say whether I saw them together thereafter or not, as they would not have stood out from the crowds to me, however she gave him her name without his asking, and made no attempt to get away from him. It was clear she was very attracted to him.

Chronos
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2016, 12:27 am

Spiderpig wrote:
There's always a socially acceptable way to make you look like a creep no matter what you do or refrain from doing. Even if you think it's impossible, a determined neurotypical will effortlessly achieve that goal.

I disagree. Rather, I think some people will act like you are a creep no matter what you do. These people tend to be either the nervous type, or bullies, or because they have poor communication skills and don't know how to politely tell you they don't want to interact with you, and you have to accept that some people have issues that you have no control over.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2016, 8:58 am

You are too logical - I have seen that same reaction (lit up like a christmas tree is so accurate) on girls before and they still said no to the guys.
I have seen female friends all lit up for all day because some guy asked them out even tho they rejected them for various reasons.
ie. He sounded weird, it was out of blue... etc.

This reaction certainly indicates a positive thing for the girl but it doesn't indicate necessarily anything meaningful for the guy.

Spiderpig
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2016, 9:18 am

To sum up, the ice isn't meant to be broken.

The red lake has been forgotten. A dust devil stuns you long enough to shroud forever those last shards of wisdom. The breeze rocking this forlorn wasteland whispers in your ears, “Não resta mais que uma sombra”.

TomS
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Jul 2016, 9:23 am

I would swing her around a few times to gain momentum before hitting the ice. But I think there are better tools for the job.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2016, 9:55 am

Spiderpig wrote:
To sum up, the ice isn't meant to be broken.

Well, snowman... breaking ice isn't good for you anyway.