Half blind Asperger faced with installing Windows 10!

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Mr. Mag00
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Jun 2016, 9:31 am

I feel like a robot who crashed on this strange planet Earth, and is stranded here, RUNNING WINDOWS 8.1!! !! :)

I didn't really know where to post. I thought maybe there'd be someone in this forum that might have the patience to help me move some stuff from my C: drive to my D: drive... and then do an "almost" clean install of Win 10.

I donno where to turn!

It was recommended that I use a program called MACRIUM REFLECT to move the files and apps. I tried to do my "workaround" for the fact that my brain has very little RAM... (and I can't deal with too much data at once), by asking little questions to get me to the next step in performing the task at hand. But the responses didn't refer to my question at all. They just pointed me toward tutorials explaining the whole purpose of MACRIUM. I get this all the time. Responses often begin with, "It's simple."

MACRIUM REFLECT is a rather complex program for backing up files and apps. (Or it SEEMS complex to me, only because I don't know how to use it)! It automatically backs up changes made on your system... and "blablabla..." Yes! I need to back up my system... but right now I just wanna prepare my computer for an "almost" clean install of Win 10. One tutorial talks about a simpler way to get what is almost the same as a clean install.

I think I'm gonna try that method.

I wanna use my C: drive, (a small SSD), for the OS plus games. But my wife continually saves stuff to that drive. So I wanna move that stuff to the D: drive before wiping the C: drive when I do the install of Win 10.

Can anyone help me with this, (in a way that I'll be able to understand?) Or direct me to where I might find that kind of help? Is there a simpler program that will move files and apps from one drive to another? I'm so exhausted I don't even know what question to ask anymore! :(

Fogman
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2016, 8:14 pm

I am not a Windows user, but backing up files is easy enough; open the directories that you want to transfer in the file manager, highlight the files and hit the Control key and the 'c' key simultaneously. Then open the directory or drive you want to save the files to and hit the Control key and the 'v' key simultaneously. This will copy and paste the files from one directory to another. --No complex third party applications are needed to do this.

That being said, the last version of Windows that I used regularly was XP. With XP, if you had to wipe your drive and start over again, you had to reinstall all of the programs and applications after your reinstall. Win7 was much the same in this regard.

With Win8 and the introduction of 'apps', I am sure this is much the same, but I'm not sure if .net based apps are transferrable, or if you have to download and reinstall them, much as you would with regular programs and applications.