who here is unaware of being stared at?

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

who else here is unaware of being stared at?
MEE! :o 28%  28%  [ 5 ]
NOT me. :| 28%  28%  [ 5 ]
I never thought about it. :scratch: 17%  17%  [ 3 ]
bring on the chocolate ice cream! :chef: 28%  28%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 18

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2016, 3:05 am

I keep reading that a primal human psychic sense [dating from when we were cavemen avoiding sneaky carnivorous animals] is to know when one is being stared at [without actually seeing the people or animals who are out of one's sight that are staring at one], but I've never experienced this. anybody else here not aware of people staring at them?

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2016, 4:21 am

I do have this ability, or i think I do (confirmation bias and all that).
I always thought that this was a "high sensitivity" thing, as it appears to me that the average human (NT) doesn't have this ability

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2016, 4:40 am

I can only tell when someone is staring at me when I see them doing it. But all the same I expect it when out in public.

Last edited by EzraS on 09 Jun 2016, 4:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2016, 4:41 am

i was in a discussion in mixed company [NT and aspie moi] about the phenomenon, and was met with incredulous questioning when I said I had never experienced this phenomenon, with the general sentiment voiced that "everybody experiences this, it is hard-wired into mankind from caveman days, only dense people/mental defectives were exempt from this etc." I mentioned that I was AS and they said words to the effect, "no wonder." I myself have stared at people as an experiment, from a hidden vantage point, and without exception they all, within a second or two of me commencing staring at them, whipped around angrily and stared back in my direction! I can only conclude from this that everybody except for me has some form of ESP in this regard. :huh:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2016, 5:29 am

I have that awareness. I chose the ice cream, of course.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2016, 7:12 am

I have this ability to feel if I'm being stared at without looking at them. But because of my social anxiety, I get paranoid and think that every person is staring at me (particularly other females). But before I had this anxiety, I still could feel if someone was staring at me or not.

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2016, 9:54 am

I've never given it any thought. But I have certainly been startled to see someone staring at me when I have looked up or turned around, so if I do have this ability at all, it doesn't always work.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

gingerpickles
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2016, 11:24 am

ice cream!

My answer is not there. I am hyper aware out corner of my eye and bellicose to catching stares. I don't go confront but I am like at road rage level of WTF U lookin at Arse! When I was the DD for friends I was definitely not the girl to ask out

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2016, 3:50 pm

all you folk gifted with this kind of ESP, IMHO you ought to be thankful you have it, as it is a key survival skill.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2016, 3:51 pm

Sometimes yes and sometimes no.

AnaHitori
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2016, 3:54 pm

I can tell when someone is staring at me. It really bothers me; I wish I didn't notice! So uncomfortable...

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2016, 4:00 pm

AnaHitori wrote:
I can tell when someone is staring at me. It really bothers me; I wish I didn't notice! So uncomfortable...

can you describe the feelings you get when being stared at? I've heard some describe it as a kind of dense pressure.

AnaHitori
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2016, 4:10 pm

auntblabby wrote:
can you describe the feelings you get when being stared at? I've heard some describe it as a kind of dense pressure.

I'm not sure if I feel a dense pressure, but I mostly just feel nervous or frightened.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2016, 4:13 pm

AnaHitori wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

I'm not sure if I feel a dense pressure, but I mostly just feel nervous or frightened.

you are so lucky to have that capacity. :wtg:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2016, 8:53 pm

Have heard the expression "I felt so-and-so's eyes on me!", and have long wondered what exactly that meant. What exactly are you "feeling" when you are "feeling someone's eyes on you"?

I dont consider myself exempt, because I can imagine "feeling someone's eyes" on me. I have probably experienced it. Though I dont recall specific incidents.

you're in a room with someone, so even if they are behind your back you know that they are still in the room. But they get strangely silent, but maybe you can faintly feel their breath coming at you. So maybe your mind unconsciously adds it up to conclude that they are staring at you. I dunno. Interesting question.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2016, 9:00 pm

in grade school was a reading assignment about this futuristic dystopia where some criminal was sentenced to the hating [I think it was Shirley Jackson who wrote it] where they led this convict into a big colloseum and put him in a box in the middle, and everybody concentrated their hateful stares upon him, and he burned slowly to death from all the hatred aimed at him, until he was but cinders on the ground.