Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2016, 5:05 pm

Most things have come from here. Things I have read. Things I have learned and adopted.

1.) It's actually ok to cut the tags off my shirts. Yes, they bug the crap out of me. But, the rule is that you do not cut up clothes, remove tags off of beds and I am good at following rules. So, that helps a lot.

2.) I was having a bad time a couple of months ago. One of the suggestions was to put something of weight on my chest and abdomen. Well, I used to sleep on my stomach almost all my life until the acid reflux got too bad. So, I took a giant blanket, rolled it up and I hug it close to me when I sleep. It is most comforting.

3.) I keep my earphones plugged into my ears even with no sound. It helps with some sounds. But, it is one layer of buffer between me and the world.

4.) Just knowing has put some things into motion that may finally help. And, that may allow me to finally move forward productively and make better decisions for the future.

So, the are a few other things I may add as I think of them. It's been a lot happening these last few weeks. A bit of a jumble as I have been forced to get out of the house more than I have in 2 years. So......

But, wanted to say thanks for those who have chimed in and offered suggestions to myself and others.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13
Aspie Quiz -- 186 out of 200
AQ: 42
AQ-10: 8.8

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2016, 5:43 pm

Sure....No problemo, Man!

(even though I never offered those sort of suggestions :wink: )

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2016, 5:53 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
Sure....No problemo, Man!

(even though I never offered those sort of suggestions :wink: )
Yeah, but you always had other insights. While not a set of suggestions, your input was always appreciated :)

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

Unfortunate_Aspie_
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2016, 7:51 pm

I completely agree with this list.
I forgot where it was mentioned- but there was a thread that talked about weighted blankets, and had some links, and I clicked and got one I liked, and OMG I am honestly amazed at how comforting it has been for me.
Honestly, having a very heavy weighted blanket that I sleep with not only cut down my "how long it takes me to fall asleep" time, but I wake up feeling more comfortable and just happier. I LOVE my weighted blanket. It's about 18lbs, but I like the weight and I sleep with it every night just about. I find it so comforting. Like- more comforting than hugs, or sleeping with someone or my dog (latter two usually take up lots of the bed/move around, and my dog likes to hog the bed (she's rather large) and step on me when she gets off :lol: as much as I love her... :) ). It has been a came changer! Another thing that has helped as been being okay with not being hyper-social. I had lots of guilt about this about not picking up on everything. I would be hyper-vigilant and analyze this s**t out of everything 24/7, but now I'm okay with loosening up a bit on this, and I feel much better for it.

I'm always on the look out for more and new ways to improve my well-being! (cause I know I need it- slowly but surely :mrgreen: )

josh338
Raven
Raven

09 Jun 2016, 8:24 pm

I used the earphone trick just a few hours ago to reduce the level of the blaring TV in a waiting room. It didn't keep it from driving me crazy but it wasn't as bad (didn't want to drown it out with music since I had to be able to hear my name when it was called).

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2016, 8:44 pm

Unfortunately, I cannot sleep on my back. I snore enough as it is, it is horrible if I am on my back. But, with my weight, leaning into the blanket is like feeling the weighted blanket. I think that when I get a bit of disposable income I will purchase a nice 'body pillow'.

It would hold its shape better. The blanket needs to be 're-rolled' daily to get that 'push' into my abdomen.

I've also started to mark my routines and how disruption affects me. Basically figuring what triggers there are and other things.

OH! hahahahahaha....I now get my seams on my socks all aligned properly now. I always thought I just had to 'tough it out' as I'd been instructed as a kid. Some of those minor things that had been beaten out of me, I am allowing and then trying to figure better ways to release that pent up frustrations...i.e. stimming and 'fidgetyness' and other terms that were glowing applied...ants in the pants and other gems.

But now, I am figuring things that work as stimming in public without being so self conscious about it. Amazingly, most people don't notice if I stand and sway. I find ways to do the hands without being too noticeable.

Just a lot of minor adjustments. A long way to go, but some things are getting better.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

B19
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jun 2016, 10:22 pm

Wrong Planet made the biggest difference to me as a person on the spectrum. I learned more here than in a thousand books, blogs, articles, and claims derived from experiments, and above all I learned of the varieties of autistic experience from the perspective of those who knew that experience best.

Unfortunate_Aspie_
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2016, 12:24 am

zkydz wrote:
Unfortunately, I cannot sleep on my back. I snore enough as it is, it is horrible if I am on my back. But, with my weight, leaning into the blanket is like feeling the weighted blanket. I think that when I get a bit of disposable income I will purchase a nice 'body pillow'.

It would hold its shape better. The blanket needs to be 're-rolled' daily to get that 'push' into my abdomen.

I've also started to mark my routines and how disruption affects me. Basically figuring what triggers there are and other things.

OH! hahahahahaha....I now get my seams on my socks all aligned properly now. I always thought I just had to 'tough it out' as I'd been instructed as a kid. Some of those minor things that had been beaten out of me, I am allowing and then trying to figure better ways to release that pent up frustrations...i.e. stimming and 'fidgetyness' and other terms that were glowing applied...ants in the pants and other gems.

But now, I am figuring things that work as stimming in public without being so self conscious about it. Amazingly, most people don't notice if I stand and sway. I find ways to do the hands without being too noticeable.

Just a lot of minor adjustments. A long way to go, but some things are getting better.

I completely agree. It really is the minor things. Instead of "toughing it out" like everyone insisted (really- who the f**k cares if I cut out tags on my clothes or have all the same socks or eat a grilled cheese sandwich everyday or whatever!) I can just do what makes me comfortable. There's so much freedom in that! And really... it just doesn't matter- not affecting or harming anyone! so it shouldn't be an issue really; it's just different.
Also- those body pillows are great I like those too. I'm teaching myself what my triggers are and how sounds and such affect me, and just respecting that. Makes life so much... easier! :D

ArielsSong
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2016, 3:06 am

So pleased that you're finding ways to adapt to make life easier for you! :D

Almost two months since your diagnosis, now, too.

I think the biggest change that's made a difference to me since discovering about autism, is that I now use sunglasses quite frequently indoors - especially when watching TV or using a computer.

I always attributed my inability to work for long stretches of time or to watch a whole TV show as a lack of focus, but I've since discovered that a lot of it is light sensitivity that I didn't realise I had.

I still have focus issues, but I can now get through an episode of a show much more easily, and sometimes two!

goatfish57
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In a village in La Mancha whose name I cannot recall

10 Jun 2016, 5:51 am

I am glad that you are doing better. All of your insights into the process of diagnosis has been very informative. I wish you the best of luck.

Not Diagnosed and Not Sure

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2016, 6:16 am

Thank you. I don't come here as often as I used to. But, that's more about my not wishing to engage in arguments as I, and others, are want to do. So, I peruse and only try to comment when I have something positive to add. That has a made a difference too.

Long story overall, but the upshot is that I am now seeing a new therapist. Nothing bad happened with the other one. Just some really odd things (good things, but really, really odd though) have been happening and it caused a change in therapists.

So, in the intake with some clown at one location, he did that thing where they sorta 'go after you'. Let me give you a for instance:

Me: I have Asperger's and...(trying to explain communication issues and focusing on current issues)

Idiot: Well, we don't have anything to do with that. That's a lifelong condition and we're only interested in the damage done while in the Navy.

Me: Shut down beginning.....

Idiot: Other meaningless question....

Me: Well, I'm only eating about a rice bowl to half a rice bowl of food a day....

Idiot: How long has this been oing one?

Me: About two years.

Idiot: Well, you're still a big guy......

Me: WTF? Shut down implemented....condition alert; do not get the security involved....remain quiet...get home....

So, I go to this therapist for intake yesterday and unfortunately she got a good dose of the built up resentment and me being really stressed about possibly getting more of the same.

And, it was also predicated by the Navy sending me to a psych eval once. Told the guy things (and this was after an attempted suicide) and this was his reply: "Everybody has a sad story. Suck it up and quit malingering. Go do your job."

I did get to tell this woman that and that I am not filled with faith that things would be different. She did adapt her approach and did get things moving quickly as far as setting up new appointments. So we shall see. She did the intake, but is also going to be my therapist. And, I have a psych doctor appointment already.

I told her about the meds and that I was beginning to like the 'drunk feeling' I got from two of them just a bit too much. The combo of those two drugs actually have a narcotic like effect in me. I like it a bit too much. She asked who the doctor was that prescribed the meds. Told her I hadn't seen a doctor yet. She started to say something about getting a prescription and I interjected that she was an LPN.

So, some progress. I just wish they would stop question if something happened when I tell them things. I wish they would focus on why things happened. Ask who prescribed if I didn't see a doctor. Don't start to ask me questions about what their methods are or why they do things the way they do. I'm just telling what happened.

But, there is hope.

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

Unfortunate_Aspie_
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2016, 7:40 pm

zkydz wrote:
Me: Well, I'm only eating about a rice bowl to half a rice bowl of food a day....

Idiot: How long has this been going on?

Me: About two years.

8O 8O 8O That's not very much.... also that's a long time. I hope you're okay- but I completely understand that sometimes that's what you can manage... and it is what it is.
When I get really bad about it- I just stop eating and can only really manage liquids.... worst I had it- all I ate was chocolate- for 2 weeks straight.... and laid in bed catatonic except for the chocolate- I would eat that :lol: sounds so weird when I think about it.
I didn't go to class or move or anything- I went AWOL, but I was alone it my room so lol it was okay- no one freaked out much :)
But looking back on it- I realize how unhealthy it was!
But sometimes I can't fight it. :o
That hasn't happened in a long while- not like that at least.

However, glad to hear things seem to be on the up and up for you ! ! It's the little things, and having people that listen to you. I hope you get both in spades!!

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2016, 8:39 pm

It is the little things. Schedule keeping. Things like that. Somebody who will listen. Taking care of those minor iritants that plagued me so much without really understanding those things.

And, some things are looking up. Some are just hanging, waiting for resolution.

As for the diet: I do drink copious amounts of milk. And, I have been doing some supplementing with either Nutrament or Ensure. Something that packs in some extra punch. Today, I have only had one sandwich with a slice of deli ham and swiss cheese and a handful of doritos. And, lots of milk.

What's worse is that if I don;t smoke any pot, I have no appetite at all. I'll go days without eating and never feel hungry. It is not healthy at all....

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2016, 8:48 pm

Great list!

Google maps on iPhone. Here's why: I have a good sense of direction, even a superior sense of direction. The difference for me is that being geographically lost is a massive trigger for me! I cannot deal with being lost. Now, nobody can know directions to all specific places, of course, and virtually everybody relies on maps/directions to some degree. Just having this app has consistently 'saved' me lots of unnecessary stress.

zkydz
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2016, 9:04 pm

I'm kinda paranoid about using those type of services. But I will map it on the home computer and then take a pic with the phone of the map. And, I also write explicit directions. And I take the time I am supposed to travel and double it at minimum.

I can;t stand to be late. That is something that just drives me bonkers. I mean batcrap crazy. And other people being late? Ooooooooohhhhhhh :wall: :wall: :wall:

Edit: Oh, and I had one small yoplait key lime yogurt. So, one sandwich, a handful of doritos and a yoplait yogurt and large quantities of milk...bovine wine....white gold......in British tea......

Too bad you can't hear the banjo and guitar playing the rest of the theme song.....

RAADS-R -- 213.3
FQ -- 18.7
EQ -- 13