Page 3 of 3 [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2016, 1:52 pm

After nearly three decades of making myself live up to my family name, I've experienced burnout in January. I'm still recovering from that burnout. I do my own things and make myself happy now. I don't feel any need to please my family in that way, anymore.

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2016, 2:42 pm

It's an odd thing and it's difficult for me to explain but when I experience the burnout I can never seem to get back to where I was before it started.

I'll get up to a certain point and then I regress and completely withdraw. It is a really dangerous time for me when it happens because I am in danger of losing everything that I have worked hard to build up.

I think that's why it's import for me to know my own limits.

crazybunnylady
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Jun 2016, 2:47 pm

babybird wrote:
It's an odd thing and it's difficult for me to explain but when I experience the burnout I can never seem to get back to where I was before it started.

I'll get up to a certain point and then I regress and completely withdraw. It is a really dangerous time for me when it happens because I am in danger of losing everything that I have worked hard to build up.

I think that's why it's import for me to know my own limits.
I'm like this too, I'm scared to take on new opportunities and projects because I don't know if I'm going to be able to see them through. I'm more scared of burning out now because I don't have as much energy as when I was younger, but also because I have a lot more to lose now.

Diagnosed with Asperger Syndrome 15/06/2016

Jo_B1_Kenobi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

13 Jun 2016, 3:03 pm

Billywasjr wrote:
I experience this at work. I've been an actuary for 15 years and have left every company I've worked at after 2-3 years because of this. I took a new role with my current employer about 9 months ago and after just a few weeks I told my managers that "I don't know why this is happening, I can't explain it, but I'm just burned out." I spend the next few months looking for answers and it culminated with me diagnosed with ASD two weeks ago. I had no idea that the struggles I've had my entire life were due to a "disorder".

This has been my experience in the working environment too. After a year or two in a job I would get to a place where I wasn't really coping anymore. Like you I wasn't diagnosed for most of this so I didn't know why it kept happening. Now I've been diagnosed for just over a year. I feel like I'm coming out of the other side of it - understanding myself and my limits better. For me it has helped. I have a job interview this week which is a step down from the professional level I was working at before so I hope it fits better with my ability to work longterm. (The step down is more to do with increasing physical limitations due to physical medical conditions but I think having a little less responsibility will help wih the ASD too as I won't be expected to do so much.)

I hope your diagnosis is helpful for you and you are able to use this knew knowledge to make things better in your work. All the best!

Diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ICD10)

Billywasjr
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

14 Jun 2016, 9:16 pm

skibum wrote:
Billywasjr wrote:
I experience this at work.
Are you just burned out from your job? Or is your job hurting you because of your Autism? This, to me sounds different from what is called Autistic Burnout. This sounds like a normal kind of burnout where someone is burned out from a particular specific thing that is outside of them like work. It changes when you leave the work.

Autistic burnout is different. It affects your entire ability to function. I think of the word systemic because of how profoundly your brain and neurological system are affected, thus affecting every part of you. And it happens because of something within you, basically the effort it takes to sustain yourself. The only way to recover is to change how you are behaving, you have to stop trying to do the things that make you pass as NT that are not natural for your brain and body to do, and to give yourself the time it takes to heal in an environment set up for recovery.

skibum wrote:
Billywasjr wrote:
Are you just burned out from your job? Or is your job hurting you because of your Autism? This, to me sounds different from what is called Autistic Burnout. This sounds like a normal kind of burnout where someone is burned out from a particular specific thing that is outside of them like work. It changes when you leave the work.

Autistic burnout is different. It affects your entire ability to function. I think of the word systemic because of how profoundly your brain and neurological system are affected, thus affecting every part of you. And it happens because of something within you, basically the effort it takes to sustain yourself. The only way to recover is to change how you are behaving, you have to stop trying to do the things that make you pass as NT that are not natural for your brain and body to do, and to give yourself the time it takes to heal in an environment set up for recovery.

I have to admit, when I first read your reply, I was really not too happy. So I didn't reply right away because I don't want to get in cyber-arguments; that's the exact reason I quit Facebook!! But I'm over it now.

Anyway, what you said about stopping doing the things that make you pass as NT, that's exactly what's been causing me burnout. And I only "fake it" like this at work, hence work is the cause of my burnout. And the burnout I experience impacts me 24/7.

After having read several replies from software developers on this thread, and after having spoken to an engineer I know, I seems clear, and I agree completely, that going that route is a big investment that could likely lead to another poor fit. The one place I have had the most success was in academia; teaching in grad school and then teaching HS. So I'm considering returning to that route, and I'll continue iOS app development just for fun.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2016, 5:47 am

Do any of you feel like it's hard to relax at night after work, due to pressures during the day? And if so, what helps when you can relax? At work I try to mask less when I can, but that's not always possible. Sometimes in off hours I'm too used to feeling "on" or prepared for some interaction because of feeling that way at work.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2016, 8:29 pm

Billywasjr wrote:
skibum wrote:
Billywasjr wrote:

skibum wrote:
Billywasjr wrote:

I have to admit, when I first read your reply, I was really not too happy. So I didn't reply right away because I don't want to get in cyber-arguments; that's the exact reason I quit Facebook!! But I'm over it now.

Anyway, what you said about stopping doing the things that make you pass as NT, that's exactly what's been causing me burnout. And I only "fake it" like this at work, hence work is the cause of my burnout. And the burnout I experience impacts me 24/7.

After having read several replies from software developers on this thread, and after having spoken to an engineer I know, I seems clear, and I agree completely, that going that route is a big investment that could likely lead to another poor fit. The one place I have had the most success was in academia; teaching in grad school and then teaching HS. So I'm considering returning to that route, and I'll continue iOS app development just for fun.

Oh, ok. Thank you for helping me understand how it works for you. I hope you did not think I was trying to argue with you or invalidate how you are affected. I was just thinking that you were experiencing a different kind of burnout. I am sorry that I misunderstood. Thank you for helping me understand.

Sounds like going back into teaching would be a great thing for you.

Wreck It Ralph

ovpt
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Aug 2016, 12:20 am

Any pearls of wisdom on how to move fwd from burnout. My hfa attributes came on strong after a series a major stress events and seem to be worsening. Now it is very difficult to keep things together. I am disorganized, forgetful, and have less executive functioning than before. This has been a progression over the past 10 years and is now reaching critical mass.

Thanks

b9
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2016, 5:02 am

burn out does not really mean that you have overworked your circuits and can no longer operate efficiently in your current mode, burnout means that for some reason you have lost your enthusiasm to keep on the path that you were on.
that's what i think anyway m'lady.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2016, 5:04 am

ovpt wrote:
Any pearls of wisdom on how to move fwd from burnout. My hfa attributes came on strong after a series a major stress events and seem to be worsening. Now it is very difficult to keep things together. I am disorganized, forgetful, and have less executive functioning than before. This has been a progression over the past 10 years and is now reaching critical mass.

Thanks

gawd. how self absorbed. this is another persons thread.

ovpt
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Aug 2016, 9:35 am

my bad, i should start a new thread, not used to online posting and was desperate for some further advise.

and yes, i am self absorbed, i have aspergers, i am depressed, and going through a hard time. so be it.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2016, 9:53 am

Last edited by b9 on 26 Aug 2016, 9:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

26 Aug 2016, 9:54 am

ovpt wrote:
my bad, i should start a new thread, not used to online posting and was desperate for some further advise.

and yes, i am self absorbed, i have aspergers, i am depressed, and going through a hard time. so be it.

cool whatever. i wouldn't have a clue what to say and i don't really care anyway. just proceed normally