Profile pics - dating profile

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2016, 10:16 am

OK so I'm feeling interested enough to give dating another shot and I am not so much worried about what to write on my dating profile; What really concerns me are my photos.

I can't look at the camera properly, I don't know how to smile, I am noticeably shorter than my peers in group shots (even though I'm 5ft 8!!), and I'm generally uncomfortable around the camera/far from photogenic. I feel my profile pictures play a big part in setting me back, and that women read my profile and think "well he earns money and sounds ok maybe he'll look better in person" or "he looks weird I can't be seen dating a guy like that".

Perhaps my overall view on the types of people that use dating sites is highly cynical, and maybe it's "wrong" of me to want to ask this but... I want my photos to look nice and for me to appear "normal" :lol: can any of you help provide tips on how to take better photos?

I'm begrudgingly going to link to a couple of recent ones.
http://i63.tinypic.com/29xyr92.jpg - Jun 2016
http://i61.tinypic.com/fbklev.png - Aug 2015
http://i61.tinypic.com/2qcgp55.jpg - Jul 2015

I'll probably respond after a few posts. And a quick headstart for the lazy suggestions -
-I'm extremely modest, so even if I wen tot gym more and I got a six pack I'd never do a shirtless pic. I don't even like showing my legs!
-It takes a considerable amount of effort to look a the camera properly without pulling a face or looking uncomfortable.
-Getting pictures of myself conquering Everest, or wrestling a bear might be a little difficult on my current budget but I do know some great Photoshop artists.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2016, 10:50 am

You look okay. Nothing wrong with the way you look. You look sort of sporty.

You look like a man of Indian or Middle Eastern descent.

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2016, 4:30 pm

You look calm in your pics.

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2016, 7:02 pm

I'm usually calm, my line of work requires it!

Seems my recent pic wasn't as bad as I thought. Got a few visits and a message within an hour of making a profile. Unfortunately they are from another continent so there is very little to come of that.

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2016, 1:25 am

Just one of the 90% of guys that girls interact with and whom they find too regular looking.
The flaw is in the extreme imbalance of genders in dating sites, not in you.

cavernio
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2016, 2:05 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:
Just one of the 90% of guys that girls interact with and whom they find too regular looking.

explain
Quora.com says gender balances are near 50% for dating sites in terms of people ON them.

Poor motivation

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2016, 2:30 am

The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

Regular....looking? :cry:
I could wear a hat :P

The_Face_of_Boo
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2016, 2:36 am

cavernio wrote:
The_Face_of_Boo wrote:

explain
Quora.com says gender balances are near 50% for dating sites in terms of people ON them.

It's all marketing lies, dating sites probably include inactive female members in their statistics to balance things out.

That's in order to create an indirect Network effect https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_effect - if the perceived number of females is good then that would attract male members to pay for the dating site.

That's for the same reason why there are plenty of fake profiles portraying as women.

The old Okcupid had a side stat widget showing the online now numbers of women, and of men; the count of online men was always much higher - why else do you think they have removed it in the new template?

I will tell you why: because the board members of Okcupid probably agreed in a meeting that this widget is creating a negative network effect, and it's discouraging male members to stay or even to pay for premium; therefore they have decided to remove it altogether.

A feature like that on a popular site doesn't disappear just like that, without a business reason behind it.

Anyway, where is that source in Quora? Quora is just a discussion board.

Last edited by The_Face_of_Boo on 11 Jun 2016, 3:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

TheSpectrum
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2016, 2:53 am

There's definitely not as many women as I remembered in my area on OKC now.
In fact, very few have been on recently even within 25 miles..and my city has over 250k people.