Would You Vote For A Nontraditional Presidential Candidate?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2016, 4:27 pm

I know this article is from last summer, but what do you think? What type of nontraditional Presidential candidate would you vote for if you viewed that person as a good fit to be President?

http://www.businessinsider.com/poll-gay-atheist-muslim-president-2015-6

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2016, 4:44 pm

In the last election a Mormon almost won, but lost to a Black guy with a Muslim sounding name.

All three of the leading candidates in this election were rather "nontraditional" in important ways: a woman, Jewish guy, and a guy with no government nor military experience.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2016, 4:57 pm

I'd vote for the most non-traditional kind of president possible: a constitutionalist. :mrgreen:

There Are Four Lights!

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2016, 4:58 pm

I'll go with President Benson 8):

I wonder if he could get elected as President in the US, though... After all, it's difficult to consider him a "natural-born citizen" when most of his natural parts have been replaced...

yelekam
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jun 2016, 6:15 pm

Would I vote for a nonconventional candidate? If I regard a candidate to be decent, qualified, and find their policy positions largely agreeable than I will vote for them, whether they are conventional or not. If I consider them the best candidate for the job I would vote for them whether they are strait, gay, bi, asexual, cis gender, transgender, Christian, Mormon, muslim, jewish, atheist, pastafarian, nuerotypical, autistic, etc...

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2016, 4:08 pm

yelekam wrote:
Would I vote for a nonconventional candidate? If I regard a candidate to be decent, qualified, and find their policy positions largely agreeable than I will vote for them, whether they are conventional or not. If I consider them the best candidate for the job I would vote for them whether they are strait, gay, bi, asexual, cis gender, transgender, Christian, Mormon, muslim, jewish, atheist, pastafarian, nuerotypical, autistic, etc...

I agree. A candidate's personal background should be irrelevant when compared to experience in government.

gingerpickles
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2016, 4:19 pm

I want a strict Constitutionalist... tempered by a real love for and understanding of America.. the whole animal, not just the favorite parts.

after that fiscally conservative.

Other criteria are not as important

Actual candidate?... they could be a dog but if they could type their opinions and offer real solutions? I'd vote.

Oh that Poll? If they identify first as anything else before American. I don't want them. Hopefully a citizen.
I don't care about their biography talking points (rich/poor , smooth/rough. educated/uneducated (Though I hope they can point europe on a map "what about Poland?" sexual orientation I frikin don't want to know unless it is criminal, race, creed, )
I also do not want an Islamist (political muslim) or attorney. We have a Law branch already. President is supposed to come from the people of which Attys make up most our govt instead of simple Legislators and Judges.

Last edited by gingerpickles on 11 Jun 2016, 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2016, 4:21 pm

If the candidate's only consideration for the presidency is being "non-traditional" in some way, then I would cast my vote for another candidate.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2016, 4:35 am

Its a inane question.

Because no one is going to respond to it by publicly saying "why YES! I am bigoted jerk, and I would never vote for any member of these following groups...., but I would consider voting for an exceptionally qualified member of these detestable groups:....."

Even if you are reluctant to vote for Black lesbian women Muslims (even if they belong to the NRA) you're not gonna to state that in public.

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2016, 6:00 pm

As the incumbents remaining are all real characters, the most boring candidates are now third-party. There is no traditional choice, of which I am aware.

In any case --

Quote:
The Bat, the Birds, and the Beasts

A GREAT conflict was about to come off between the Birds and the Beasts. When the two armies were collected together the Bat hesitated which to join. The Birds that passed his perch said: “Come with us”; but he said: “I am a Beast.” Later on, some Beasts who were passing underneath him looked up and said: “Come with us”; but he said: “I am a Bird.” Luckily at the last moment peace was made, and no battle took place, so the Bat came to the Birds and wished to join in the rejoicings, but they all turned against him and he had to fly away. He then went to the Beasts, but soon had to beat a retreat, or else they would have torn him to pieces. “Ah,” said the Bat, “I see now,
“HE THAT IS NEITHER ONE THING NOR THE OTHER HAS NO FRIENDS.”

I am neither one thing, nor the other.

Perhaps, the whitest kind of minority member.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2016, 7:38 am

friedmacguffins wrote:
As the incumbents remaining are all real characters, the most boring candidates are now third-party. There is no traditional choice, of which I am aware.

Yes. Thats about the size of it. All three remaining choices (Bernie, Hillary, and Donald) are each characters. The bland candidates are all gone.

So...we Americans can all be proud of the good news...that ANYone can become president nowadays!

And we Americans should all be terrified at the bad news...that ANY one can become president nowadays! :lol:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2016, 8:18 am

naturalplastic wrote:
So...we Americans can all be proud of the good news...that ANYone can become president nowadays!

And we Americans should all be terrified at the bad news...that ANY one can become president nowadays! :lol:
This is the best of times, this is the worst of times; this is the age of wisdom, this is the age of foolishness; this is the epoch of belief, this is the epoch of incredulity; this is the season of Light, this is the season of Darkness; this is the spring of hope, this is the winter of despair; we have everything before us, we have nothing before us; we are all going direct to Heaven, we are all going directly the other way ...

(Apologies to Charles Dickens.)

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.