Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2016, 11:28 pm

Your case is acknowledged; I suppose I take a different approach to when people claim to believe or not believe something; basically, I tell them that belief does not change reality, for I can believe all I want that climbing to the top of the Empire State Building and jumping off the roof will cause me to sprout wings and I will suddenly fly, but no matter how much I believe that to be true, the belief does not change the reality;

Similarly, I have noticed a disturbing trend of New-Agers who seem to think that a disbelief in something will cause it to suddenly or magically disappear or vanish out of existence, like the existence of evil or psychotic people, such to the point where they think that things like The Holocaust or any form of eugenics will never happen or somehow cease to be a reality if everybody in the whole entire world somehow decided that mob-riot style witch-hunts do not actually happen to anybody... I suppose in that sense I get where you're coming from in terms of finding the beliefs of others potentially disturbing but, for the most part, I usually only mention my Empire State-Building example to people whom I may be speaking with in-person if I find them to be too dogmatic about something (not so much with on-line dialogue).

Fnord wrote:
People will still believe whatever they want to believe, however, even though their most fervent belief still proves nothing.

rdos
Veteran
Veteran

12 Jun 2016, 2:37 am

hurtloam wrote:
I think that when we each respond to this thread we need to say what exactly we think a soul mate is otherwise we'll end up with misunderstandings. I don't believe in one other person being our other half, but I would use the word soulmate to refer to someone. When I use that term I mean that I have a deeper or more comfortable connection/bond with them than I do with other people. We just "get" each other. We are happy together and it just feels right.

I think that can happen with or without eros love being involved. I have met more than one soulmate in my life. At least two were people I was definitely romantically attracted to, but that waned over the years, mostly because we don't keep in close contact, he is with someone else now and we are just friends, but we will always just get each other. The other one I didn't get to spend enough time with, but there will always be the ability to re-connect whenever we see each other. It just works.

Yes, that's how I view it too. There are degrees on it too. I've met a few women (it's always women for me) where we naturally and easily understood each others. One of them was very special in that area. As things proceeded, we mystically appeared to know exactly what the next step would be. Of course, this is most exciting when it happens with no conversation because with conversation there is always the possibility to talk about your preferences and what you want.

hurtloam wrote:
I have female friends who are soulmates too. Or "bosom friends" if you want to quote Anne Shirley.

Can you love more than one person? Definitely. But I don't know if most people can maintain a close relationship with more than one. I don't think it's about jealousy, I think it' more practical. Close relationships take time and energy. Some people don't even have enough time or energy to cope with one close intimate relationship let alone plural relationships.

For me, they are usually on very different stages. I'm not sure if I can be polyamory at the same stage or not. At least, I cannot be at the initial courtship stage (cannot obsess about more than one girl at the time).