Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

mjc27
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Jun 2016, 6:47 am

I was reading about long-term and short-term memories about Aspies. Then, I remember an event which happened yesterday wherein I told my mom about an event in our lives which happened a long-time ago. It seems my mom can't remember it from happening. But the problem is right now, I can't remember what we were talking about yesterday and what event I was referring to. I guess I need a triggering factor in order for me to remember everything I guess.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2016, 1:05 pm

I can relate to this. My longterm memory can be astonishingly good, although there are some gaping holes in it. My short term memory is impaired. More accurately, my "working memory" is impaired, i.e. I can hold an idea in my head quite well as long as I don't have to think about anything else, but as soon as that happens, pop! out goes the first idea. Often if I stay calm I can retrieve it, and like you if I'm prompted or reminded then that's very helpful. Also, like you, my memory of the previous day's events is often impaired. It impacts badly on my functioning, especially if I'm working with people who don't appreciate all this, which they usually don't. It sucks.

ArielsSong
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2016, 1:16 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
I can relate to this. My longterm memory can be astonishingly good, although there are some gaping holes in it. My short term memory is impaired. More accurately, my "working memory" is impaired, i.e. I can hold an idea in my head quite well as long as I don't have to think about anything else, but as soon as that happens, pop! out goes the first idea. Often if I stay calm I can retrieve it, and like you if I'm prompted or reminded then that's very helpful. Also, like you, my memory of the previous day's events is often impaired. It impacts badly on my functioning, especially if I'm working with people who don't appreciate all this, which they usually don't. It sucks.

This describes me very well. I have clear memories going right back to being 1 year old and I can recall so many things from my past very vividly - exact scenes, my exact location, exact occurrences. This is both good and bad. I'm glad that I remember so much about my own past, but I think I also overestimate what others can remember - I've often been told that I could 'write a book about my life', and people think I'm making things up because I have a 'story for everything', but I guess it's just that I have so many memories that I always dig out something relevant and can describe it in detail. Additionally, I think I let things get to me too much because I remember them so well. If I do something that I later look back on and feel bad/guilty/ashamed about, no amount of convincing from my husband will ever make me believe that everyone else will forget what I did because it 'wasn't a big deal'. And I guess that's because I know I'll never forget it, and I assume that everyone else remembers these small instances as well as I do. Husband might be right, and other people might forget these relatively insignificant moments.

My working memory is useless. I can sit and think back over previous days and work out what I had for lunch, for instance, but remembering things that I need to do just does not happen. I can keep one thing in mind, like ToughDiamond says, but if I get distracted by absolutely anything else then it's gone. That can be frustrating. Husband might ask me to remember to do something, and if anything else happens before I get around to doing it, then I've got no chance.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2016, 1:17 pm

My long term memory could impress many, but my short term memory is another story. :x

It can annoy the crap out of me than someone I kept bugging about repeating things for me all over again.
I don't have enough patience for myself regarding to this, nor become dependent by carrying a notepad with me all the time.
The only thing that I could compensate on this is deduction, yet it doesn't work 100% at the time. And oh, not to mention the lack of filter that I might missing information, or end up being misinformed by mishearing and end up misremembering things.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2016, 5:42 pm

The curious thing is that when I took a working memory test three times in quick succession, I scored poor on the first attempt, average on the second, and very well indeed on the third. Like a tennis player who tries to just scrape the net on the first two shots of a serve, to limber up or "get their eye in" ready for their third attempt. Similarly, my test skill has no "transfer value" in everyday life, where one rarely gets three tries at anything.

http://idioms.thefreedictionary.com/get+eye+in

mjc27
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Jun 2016, 7:46 pm

I can relate with all of these experiences. I can also do different kinds of puzzles but if the puzzles involves the memory, I suck so bad. I remember this online contest which I would like to join. But the problem is I need to pass their only requirement pass their "simple" memory challenge. Eight items I need to remember. Remember the arrangement. Click the start below. They juggle the items. Then I can't remember the right sequence anymore. I thought of an alternative to do things and I tried to associate each item with the letter it starts with and if there is a duplication the first two letter it would be. The problem with this one when I click start I find out that I'm having problems processing each one and in the end, I end up forgetting most of the letters also. So I resorted to writing the letters in a piece of paper. I felt I cheated this way. Btw, the challenge is time constrained.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jun 2016, 9:30 pm

I have a poor long term memory according to my medical reports. That was how I got diagnosed with ADD. I can't listen for long periods of the time and then remember but my short term memory is fine. But yet I can remember incidents that have happened and events from long time ago.

As for working memory, I cannot be told to do things and then be expected to do them later because I forget about it. I had this problem at work and the office clerk didn't want to remind me about it and thought I should write it down. Yeah I did but then it wouldn't occur to me to look at my note pad because it's in my shirt pocket so how am I going to remember to take it out and look at it? Also he would sometimes show me how to use something and then he would expect me to remember how to do it a month later. But yet if I did it in my routine every day, I wouldn't have a problem remembering it. I just have a hard time remembering when it's not something I normally use. I used to beat myself up over this because of my memory being so bad but then I learn in my local support group this is part of having Asperger's. Just another symptom I have. And yes I do remember having this issue at work and I have a poor long term memory?

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Mustangboss429
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

12 Jun 2016, 6:56 am

My long term memory with specific things can be amazing (e.g being able to name the make and model of every car I see off by heart and memorising peoples car registration plates). My short term memory on the other hand leaves a lot to be desired.