What professions do you wish you can do but can't?

Page 2 of 3 [ 40 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Voynich
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

09 Aug 2016, 2:31 pm

Ichinin wrote:
Also wanted to be an astronomer, but i learned that it was more of a maths job than a "look at the skies and take pretty pictures"-job.

Same here. That set me back quite some time.

nurseangela
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2016, 2:39 pm

Pathologist.
Autopsies for homicides would be preferred.
I like a good mystery.

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 83 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 153 of 200 You are very likely neurotypical
Darn, I flunked.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2016, 3:37 pm

Investigative journalist. Hah!

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

09 Aug 2016, 7:44 pm

Hmmm, probably military or maybe pilot...

Honestly I would be happy just to have a career that actually pays a livable wage.

LookWhoItIs
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Aug 2016, 10:28 am

I wish I could be an engineer, but career testing told me it would be one of the worst possible jobs for me lol. I think it's because my spatial skills are so weak.

VegetableMan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2016, 10:35 am

Grifter! My sense of morality has prevented me from achieving that dream. But it's not too late!

Oscar Meyer Lansky

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2016, 12:06 pm

Ballerina or dancer or maybe a classical musician! Since i was a child i always wanted to dedicate myself to something related to art. I really admire people who are talented in these areas and devote their lifes completely to it. Oh and maybe a neurologist since diseases related to brain are very much still unknown..

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2016, 9:50 am

I wish I could work with animals, but I'm too allergic. It's what I made to do, it would be meaningful, but I can't. I had a practice period at a pet shop when I was 19, but I became really sick. I loved it there until I gave up due to the allergies. I couldn't even finish the two weeks I was supposed to be there. Of course, if I had lived somewhere that allows turtles, I could have worked with them and other reptiles, but I'm stuck here.

When I was 8 I wanted a kennel because I thought that meant I'd get to play with dogs all day.
When I was in my early teens I wanted to be a lighthouse keeper so I could help ships while not having to deal with people, and have lots of time to pursue my interests. Just a few years later every single lighthouse was automated.
In my early 20's I became obsessed with the military. I couldn't become an officer without either experience or high school so I decided to try again to finish school. The obsession passed. Just as well. Living on top of other people like that isn't for me. I'd also have to become more fit to meet the criteria, which I didn't.
In my mid 20's I wanted to be a pilot but I am too short, then an air traffic controller but I am not good at keeping calm during stress, so definitely not for me, as much as I would like to help guide the planes down. I'm also bad at understanding unclear messages, like those over radio, so another poor fit.
At times I have considered journalism, but I'm no good at writing when my heart's not in it, and most of it would bore me sick. Add to that that newspapers are in decline and that I am absolutely not fit to pester people with questions.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

Sigbold
Veteran
Veteran

20 Sep 2016, 10:15 am

Frisco wrote:
I wanted to be in the military more than anything as a kid. I enlisted in the United States Navy when I was 20, and my recruiter said I could enlist with Aspergers and that I needed to say no when asked if I had any potentially disqualifying conditions. Halfway through basic training, I was having trouble keeping up (constant sensory overwhelmness) and one of my drill instructors thought I should get a mental evaluation. They twigged on Aspergers quick, told me that all forms of Autism are a permanently disqualifting condition for service in the Navy, and sent me home. With that on my record, I can't sign up for another branch, so I'm out of any chance for a military career.

Sounds a bit like mine story when volunteering for the Dutch army when I turned 18. Alto I did not even pass the psychological examination, on the basis of my limited social skills. Alto my performance on the ability-test (read IQ-test) was impressive, since they told me it was impossible to finish it within the time limit you got for it unless you where an Einstein. So your answer would also be the one I have to give for the tread.

CatLady53
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

20 Sep 2016, 11:01 am

Everyone tells me I would be a great attorney but considering I am terrible student who is less than 10 credits short from a Bachelor's, law school is out of the question.