How many hours of sleep do you take per 24 hours?

Page 1 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2016, 7:58 pm

TD, do you usually sleep for most of that 12-hour period, or just lie in bed? Could it be medication side effects, or depression, or something doctors might find, like thyroid problems or vitamin D deficiency? My understanding is that as people get older, they tend to sleep less and may have poorer quality sleep. Not sure how true that is?

Unfortunate_Aspie_
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2016, 11:06 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
........and are your sleeping hours unusual? If they're odd, do you know why?

I used to have about 8 hours or so, with a tendency to go to bed later than I thought I should which never really got bad. Now I've escaped the world of work, I often sleep much longer, typically 12 hours, and my bedtime and getting up time drifts later and later, though my motivation to stay in step with the rest of the world (to a degree) and possibly an internalised "early to bed, early to rise" ethic stop it getting completely ridiculous. When I was working I had little choice but to get up no later than 8.45am and to go to bed around 1am, and the job tired me out so much that I was usually able to sleep that "early." Now I've escaped the world of work I drift more towards 3am to 3pm, and it takes some will power to stop it getting any "worse." But I never take naps in the daytime, I just can't fall asleep. Are these just normal tendencies or do you think it's something to do with autism? I live a fairly stress-free life these days, and I try not to overwork, though I find it hard to stop myself from "playing hard," once I get immersed in a task or special interest.

Sure as f**k not enough! Example, in the past two days I have gotten 5/6 hours of sleep so yes about 2/3 hours per night, I'm doing the slash because I'm not too certain how quickly I feel asleep after I looked at the clock. It may have taken more than the usual 30-45 mins to fall asleep.
This is a bit extreme, but normally only about 5hrs. Sometimes it's habit sometimes I just can't make myself sleep.
And ever since I was a kid (very young like about 8years old) I would have nights where I wouldn't sleep a wink- stare at the ceiling all 8hrs and lay pateintly in bed not even anxious or thinking of anything no caffeine (my parents banned chocolate and of course coffee and tea and desserts for many years in part to help me sleep better oh and no soda lol) it was just pure wakefulness! :o
r00tb33r has a point too I'm one of the MANY adults that can't have milk : /. SUCKS! I miss it!! !!

0regonGuy
Veteran
Veteran

15 Jun 2016, 7:03 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
........and are your sleeping hours unusual? If they're odd, do you know why?

I used to have about 8 hours or so, with a tendency to go to bed later than I thought I should which never really got bad. Now I've escaped the world of work, I often sleep much longer, typically 12 hours, and my bedtime and getting up time drifts later and later, though my motivation to stay in step with the rest of the world (to a degree) and possibly an internalised "early to bed, early to rise" ethic stop it getting completely ridiculous. When I was working I had little choice but to get up no later than 8.45am and to go to bed around 1am, and the job tired me out so much that I was usually able to sleep that "early." Now I've escaped the world of work I drift more towards 3am to 3pm, and it takes some will power to stop it getting any "worse." But I never take naps in the daytime, I just can't fall asleep. Are these just normal tendencies or do you think it's something to do with autism? I live a fairly stress-free life these days, and I try not to overwork, though I find it hard to stop myself from "playing hard," once I get immersed in a task or special interest.

I sleep about six hours a day. Which is the same amount of sleep I have gotten most all of my life. If for some reason, I can't sleep the full six hours, I tend to need a nap at some point in the day. The nap usually pushes my next days sleep time, back some hours.

Being retired I don't have any sleep schedule. My natural sleep schedule seems to mostly be in the daytime though. I try to sleep early enough, so I can be up by noon, because sometimes I actually have appointments and other things I have to do in the daytime. But often I end up sleeping 9AM - 3PM or even later.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2016, 1:48 pm

DataB4 wrote:
TD, do you usually sleep for most of that 12-hour period, or just lie in bed? Could it be medication side effects, or depression, or something doctors might find, like thyroid problems or vitamin D deficiency? My understanding is that as people get older, they tend to sleep less and may have poorer quality sleep. Not sure how true that is?

Usually I sleep. It's only when my mind is racing with fascinating (to me) ideas or when I'm anxious that I can't sleep, and that's always just after I've gone to bed. In the mornings I tend to sleep on, and if I can't do that I get up. I'm not on any medications. I don't think depression is likely, though I've yet to find a good test of that. I've wondered if something medical is going on. One possibility I've noticed is that now I'm retired I might have been too successful in eradicating stress from my life, as a reaction to my stressful experiences when I was working - some people think that a modicum of stress is necessary to stay active and alert, and I've noticed that when I have to meet a challenge or two, I become more energetic, which I guess I wouldn't if it were a thyroid or nutrient problem. Thanks for your concern, by the way. I do tend to let things slide.

LH42
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

16 Jun 2016, 2:44 pm

It varies massively for me. It can be anything from twelve to none at all. The problem is that I tend to be at my intellectual and emotional peak during the later hours of the day, and I resent having to cut those periods short knowing that I'm going to be sluggish and emotionless when I wake up. However, I recognise the self-perpetuating nature of my predicament and I aim to have my sleep routine under control by the end of the summer.

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2016, 10:02 pm

TD, I think that even people with a certain level of depression, or those with thyroid/nutrient problems, might still feel energized at times. The way to know the difference would be their stamina throughout the day, week, month, ETC. and how hard they crash and burn out. The same could be true for people coping with all sorts of problems affecting energy levels.

I wish I could remember where, but I heard someone describe the will to live as the will and energy to fight entropy. The more unwell someone is, the less they fight entropy, and they eventually stop moving, thinking, ETC. A bit off topic, but fighting low energy levels made me think of it.

Scorpius14
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2016, 10:22 pm

If i have less than 7 hours sleep, i get insane amounts of anxiety even when I know my day isn't going to be full of stress.
If i have interrupted sleep but still manage to get in 9-12 hours sleep, i get a moderate case of anxiety and usually wake up with a headache.

My preferred sleeping pattern is from 10pm-8am, but currently it's at 5am-2pm. Leaving the afternoon for breakfast/lunch, and a tea in the evening if I feel hungry, but at my current habits, I just eat whenever i'm hungry and not sticking to any sort of schedule. I am on medication though to keep me alive, so i don't know if that makes a difference to sleep.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2016, 6:29 pm

DataB4 wrote:
TD, I think that even people with a certain level of depression, or those with thyroid/nutrient problems, might still feel energized at times. The way to know the difference would be their stamina throughout the day, week, month, ETC. and how hard they crash and burn out. The same could be true for people coping with all sorts of problems affecting energy levels.

I wish I could remember where, but I heard someone describe the will to live as the will and energy to fight entropy. The more unwell someone is, the less they fight entropy, and they eventually stop moving, thinking, ETC. A bit off topic, but fighting low energy levels made me think of it.

I think with me and the stamina thing, it's always been there when I've needed it. I don't think I've ever exactly crashed and burned, though I've often experienced weariness after a bad day at school or work (those were the times when I couldn't meet the expectations because I couldn't understand the subject matter - it was a combination of frustration, anxiety, self-loathing for being unable to do what those around me could do, and boredom). My worst experiences of weariness were in my teens, it's never been that bad since, though the usual thing is for people to become less enthusiastic and energetic with age. The way I see it, if people were boats, I would be a raft - unsinkable but my feet keep getting wet.

Mentally, my will to live has never faltered, and my brain seems to be running in hyperdrive mode all the time, generating way more ideas and insights than I can possibly catch and use. I've overloaded many people with my torrential thought-sharing.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2016, 6:42 pm

I usually sleep an average of 6-8 hours a night.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2016, 10:40 pm

About six, on average. Sometimes more, sometimes about 4. My body wants to wake after the 4/sleep cycle if I've had a stressful day or week and need to do fun things. Typically I sleep only four hours on Friday into Saturday, since I'm finally free of work for the week.

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2016, 11:51 pm

I usually get about 4 or 5 hours of sleep at night. I usually don't feel like talking to anyone the next day and sometimes have trouble functioning. Lately I've been falling asleep for a couple of hours while taking naps though.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2016, 1:52 pm

Quite a lot of us getting less than the recommended 8 hours then. I've been that way myself, but not very often. I tend to think it's down to stress and / or my brain refusing to stop. Sometimes my thoughts at such times are scared or angry (which gets my adrenaline going), other times they're just fascinating (to me).

Empathy
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2017, 8:27 pm

Somewhere between seven and nine, my period always prolongs it. Dry humidity and tooth ache makes sleep tricky.

SH90
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2017, 8:31 pm

On average (once I fall asleep) 5 hours... I do take 30-45 min naps though in the middle of the day.

Fern
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jun 2017, 8:59 pm

Since I was 5 years old I sleep exactly 7-8 hours a day normally. I can go as little as 5 before I get non-functional, but I don't think I've ever slept more than 10/day in my life, even when I'm sick.

JamiLynn
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Jun 2017, 9:45 pm

Overall, I usually get 6-8 hours of sleep. Sometimes I'll nap during the day, unless that nap becomes what I call a "hibernation" and sleep all the way until the next morning. A few times per month I may even get as much as 10-12 hours of sleep, but it all depends on my schedule and whether or not I have appointments or other reasons to wake up normally. One might say I use sleep as a coping-mechanism for life's stressful, tiresome moments.