Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Kitsune
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Jul 2004, 3:01 pm

If you want your site up, definitely don't go to www.phpwebhosting.com...my website has been down about nine times in the past two months for periods over six hours each.

Just today I went in and couldn't access it. I slipped behind the server to my phpMyAdmin control panel and saw stats along the lines of

350 requests 11 pages viewed.

Does ANYONE have any DECENT webhost with something along the lines of unlimited monthly bandwidth and 100+ megs of space?

synx13
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

19 Jul 2004, 10:53 pm

Kitsune wrote:
Does ANYONE have any DECENT webhost with something along the lines of unlimited monthly bandwidth and 100+ megs of space?

Well SOMEone's gotta pay for it. Either you, an intermediate, or the requester. If you have a big enough pipeline at your home (i.e. you pay your ISP for DSL/Cable) you might try setting up your own web server on your home computer. Or try a distributed data store. That'll allow you to pay for your hosting by donating some of your download bandwidth and disk space for others to host files on your computer, all in a mixed up sort of distributed way.

Otherwise... either find a really nice friend willing to pay for your webhosting (by sacrificing their "unlimited" bandwidth and disk space), or go purchase some yourself at... well I don't have any money myself so couldn't recommend a place. There should be sites out there that have a monthly surcharge to host sites on them, although in all fairness they should charge by the bits transferred since that is a web hosts's biggest expense and most precious commodity.

Some people will host your files if they are valuable enough to the web hoster's cause or theme.

Jimbo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Jul 2004, 1:25 am

I Own a webhosting company and frankly, it doesn't supprise me that your having problems. If the 9.95 price listing is what your pay for 200MB os storage and unlimited bandwidth, than their probably pretty hard pressed to meet their own standerds, and making very little profit while doing it. While, I'm sure I cannot meet your needs for the price range your expecting, i would be happy to tell you how to setup your own server at home. If you interested just post a reply.

Torley_Wong
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

23 Jul 2004, 5:31 am

Hey Kitsune, if you're looking for those specs but for free, I think it will cost you -- you may be able to find some really reasonable rates though. A place like SiteSled.com which I found recently, gives you 100 megs of space and 30 gigs of bandwidth a month I believe, but it seems to be kind of slow. There must be some other options out there. What's happening right now on the email front is that because of Gmail, all the major players are upping their storage too. Good for consumers . . . I hope the same sort of thing happens for web hosting, it really took a dive after the MP3 copyright scares. What do you need to host? :)

kevtufc
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jul 2004, 9:46 am

I've recently switched to 000k.com.

You get 128M of php & perl enabled space, MySQL database, and other stuff for *free*.

The only catch is it shows *you* adverts when you're on their controll panel. Your site doesn't have them, just the controll panel... granted, they are annoyingly huge pop-unders that come every few seconds, but use a pop-up blocking browser (I suggest firefox) and you're away!

However, you're on your own: there's NO SUPPORT AT ALL (unless you pay for it). But if you really mess things up, you could just forget it and sign up for a new one I suppose.