Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

enz
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2016, 8:03 pm

I was talking to a girl on tinder who's profile hinted at her being 6 foot tall

So in the middle of the Convo I asked her if she was 6 foot, she said yes and then I said "that's cool I thought you would be short" she stopped replying

I didn't mean it as an insult, a tall and pretty girl is hot

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2016, 10:23 pm

Yes. its just one woman.

You will face hundreds, if not thousands of rejections online.

Buck up and move on.

enz
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2016, 11:06 pm

Why did I mess up? For next time

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2016, 11:15 pm

I'm just curious, the question "Are you 6 feet tall" has two answers, yes, or a no.
What response or reaction would you have for each of the two answers? If she said "no" would you stop messaging her? Would you instantly lose interest?

IMO it was not a useful thing to ask.

enz
Veteran
Veteran

13 Jun 2016, 11:26 pm

r00tb33r wrote:
I'm just curious, the question "Are you 6 feet tall" has two answers, yes, or a no.
What response or reaction would you have for each of the two answers? If she said "no" would you stop messaging her? Would you instantly lose interest?

IMO it was not a useful thing to ask.

No I wouldnt lose interest. In my mind I was being less predictable with that question

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2016, 1:47 am

enz wrote:

She clearly stated on her profile that she was 6ft. Then you said, "I thought you would be short" when she confirmed it.

That's not logical. It comes over as a bit crazy or like you're trolling. I'd have been like, nope, this one is crazy or not very clever and stopped talking to you.

Plus a 6ft tall woman is going to be pretty sensitive about her height anyway. She was probably teased at school.

In future don't draw attention to things people are probably sensitive about.its kinda like saying, is your nose really as big as the photo. She says yes and you say, I thought it would be smaller.

enz
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2016, 2:06 am

Actually how she said it in her profile I wasn't sure if she literally meant it.

But yeah it probably was a sensitive subject

izzeme
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2016, 2:24 am

6 foot is extremely tall for women, it is best to not put too much (or any really) attention to it in the online phase

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2016, 2:30 am

I can see some benefits in it. There's a chance we might agree on driver's seat adjustments. :lol:

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2016, 5:50 am

hurtloam wrote:
enz wrote:

She clearly stated on her profile that she was 6ft. Then you said, "I thought you would be short" when she confirmed it.

That's not logical. It comes over as a bit crazy or like you're trolling. I'd have been like, nope, this one is crazy or not very clever and stopped talking to you.

Plus a 6ft tall woman is going to be pretty sensitive about her height anyway. She was probably teased at school.

In future don't draw attention to things people are probably sensitive about.its kinda like saying, is your nose really as big as the photo. She says yes and you say, I thought it would be smaller.

This is good advice.

She is probably also tired of people mentioning her height. I can understand why you (OP) may have wanted to ask. Some people lie about things like that on dating sites. I've had people argue with me about my age because they didn't think I was 33. I wouldn't lie about that, but they've talked to other guys who did. Unfortunately, this kind of exchange will probably never be received well by the other person, even if your intent is innocent. If someone can't accept my age, why speak further? I'm not going to have a good relationship with someone who thinks I'm a liar and a kid. This woman probably felt that you were too focused on trivial details and not her as a person, even if you didn't intend that. Best to just meet in person and see if their profile information was accurate that way.

GiantHockeyFan
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2016, 6:45 am

As a very tall person, I cannot tell you how annoyed I get when someone opens up with my height or calls me "tall guy" even after I provide my real name. Its as if am defined by something I have no control over.

Its as if you messaged someone of African descent and asked "are you really black?" Its insulting and objectifying even if you did not intend it that way.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2016, 7:11 am

Next time, just don't mention the person's height. That's all.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2016, 10:41 am

Well if she implied she was 6 feet tall on her profile, she probably doesn't understand why you'd have thought she would be short. I mean did you actually think she was short or did you just say that to say something? It kind of appears you ran out of stuff to say and that is all you could come up with...or maybe she just didn't know what to say to that.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

14 Jun 2016, 10:48 am

enz wrote:
Actually how she said it in her profile I wasn't sure if she literally meant it.

But yeah it probably was a sensitive subject

That doesn't make any sense why would she imply it if she didn't literally mean it? If someone gives an indication of their height on the profile chances are they are being serious not trying to give false impressions.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

14 Jun 2016, 4:24 pm

She got the impression when you said you thought she'd be short that you were interested in her because you thought she was shorter than she was. She figured you weren't interested in her sense you were so concerned about how tall she was.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition