Page 2 of 3 [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

ZenDen
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2016, 6:26 pm

Jacoby wrote:
You're brother sounds like he led an interesting life, marching in Selma and being arrested for his beliefs are heroic but a hardships as well of course. He obviously saw a lot of injustice in the world, it really is impossible to know whats really going on in someone's head unless the person has the self-awareness to really know themselves and be comfortable & able to express it.

What I disagree with is calling cannabis a gateway drug since that implies there is an inherent risk when there is not which has given rise to this these evil draconian drug laws, the people you get involved with and become friends with influence your life far more than any drug or at least marijuana which I think makes a great argument against prohibition since by making it illegal you drive this product underground and outlaws naturally are willing to pick up supply where there is a demand. Addiction as I mentioned is both mental and physical, the mental is independent of the physical and really which is what is the hardest part of treating addiction so it really can anything as I said that controls your life at your detriment is an addiction.

I take it kind of personally since epilepsy is so prominent in my family and I wonder how much better off they'd be if they had been able to use cannabis when the seizures began, I saw hundreds of them growing up and wonder how much damage each one did. It's traumatic just seeing it, I can't imagine experiencing it. The epilepsy in my family fortunately seems be grown out of in their teens and maybe it's coincidence but what do teens often try? I think it is a very valuable medicine that is relatively harmless with many uses, it think it should be more common than Advil. It doesn't have to be an intoxicant, the people that actually use it the most don't get the effect at all.

My father was a functioning alcoholic growing up and I imagine probably from several hundred years of functioning alcoholics as it is just part of the culture of the people I was brought up around so I seen the destruction that alone can do. It's just a disgust really when I see cannabis so harshly punished and restricted whereas we literally celebrate drinking alcohol, I'd say I'd probably like my dad a lot better had he smoked rather than drank. Nobody can say alcohol is a medicine right? Believe it or not they did at one time, it was a pretty common prescription back in prohibition times.

" What I disagree with is calling cannabis a gateway drug since that implies there is an inherent risk when there is not But didn't you say a moment ago that certain people with certain "needs" (I believe your term was "Hole in the head") are very susceptible (because of the "hole in their head") and in fact can and DO "get hooked." If you had this particular "hole in your head", would you find out too late?

I'm happy you and I don't have that particular "hole in the head" but how many do? I believe your statement, without explanation, is too general and, since you show yourself to be a sophisticated user, could possibly mislead others. For many it IS a "gateway drug." You should say so to possibly help others.

I understand the benefits of weed (since '62) as medicine and understand it's intoxicating properties, and am pleased it does something good for you.

HOWEVER: I must take umbrage with your last paragraph. Tell the truth: Didn't you pay someone to steal a paragraph from my biography? Almost word for word. But a sad ending, here, in part as there was no understanding of a "functioning alcoholic" by the time my Dad applied at a Veterans Home and they told him they would put him through "detox" and have "restrictions" put on his actions. My Dad, who raised his family, served with the Navy and Marines in WWII, and who never missed a day of work in his life (maybe one) told them where they could stick it. It really effected and saddened him deeply, and had a big negative effect on the rest of what remained of his life.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2016, 10:20 pm

Has anybody noticed any effect on short-term memory or working memory? I occasionally hear that cannabis is supposed to impair it, and I've noticed a lot of Aspies report a short-term memory problem, so I was wondering if anybody has any personal experiences of dope making it worse. And if so, was the impairment temporary or permanent? Personally I never noticed any obvious difference, though as I used it all the time since I was in my 20s until a few years ago, it would have been hard to tell. I do have a short-term memory problem but I can usually recall what I think I've forgotten if I just keep calm and wait a few seconds, so it's not really like total amnesia.

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2016, 10:32 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
Has anybody noticed any effect on short-term memory or working memory? I occasionally hear that cannabis is supposed to impair it, and I've noticed a lot of Aspies report a short-term memory problem, so I was wondering if anybody has any personal experiences of dope making it worse. And if so, was the impairment temporary or permanent? Personally I never noticed any obvious difference, though as I used it all the time since I was in my 20s until a few years ago, it would have been hard to tell. I do have a short-term memory problem but I can usually recall what I think I've forgotten if I just keep calm and wait a few seconds, so it's not really like total amnesia.

My short term memory is s**t too, so I can't really tell a difference. When you're already at rock bottom there's no farther you can fall kind of thing, lol.

saxgeek
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2016, 10:34 pm

If you want to get messed up and totally ruin your health, then go for it.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2016, 10:53 pm

Aristophanes wrote:
My short term memory is s**t too, so I can't really tell a difference. When you're already at rock bottom there's no farther you can fall kind of thing, lol.

Reminds me of the poem:

"In my youth," Father William replied to his son,
"I feared it might injure my brain,
But now I am perfectly sure I have none,
I do it again and again"

But can you catch your "lost" memories by keeping calm, like I can?

Aristophanes
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2016, 10:54 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
Aristophanes wrote:

Reminds me of the poem:

"In my youth," Father William replied to his son,
"I feared it might injure my brain,
But now I am perfectly sure I have none,
I do it again and again"

But can you catch your "lost" memories by keeping calm, like I can?

Lol, no, that takes patience.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2016, 11:07 pm

saxgeek wrote:

I'm hoping for more specific, less sweeping answers than that. I was asking about memory effects. Though I can't rule out that some folks might indeed get "messed up" if they use it, I seem to have got away with it. My mind is at least reasonably sharp, as evidenced by my thousands of coherent posts on WP, and even my lungs still feel perfectly sound. I'm not thinking of going back to it, because its beneficial effects on my Aspie sensory issues wore off, but if they hadn't, I'd definitely consider it again. Especially with the advent of vaporisers and the possibility of eating it, rather than inhaling smoke. Though this isn't a recommendation to anybody else, it could be very person-specific, and you never know, I might die from a delayed effect tomorrow.

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2016, 12:00 am

I have found that it helps me be more relaxed and less irritated by everything. It can cause paranoia, but I don't really have huge issues with that.

Also, I noticed that my depression started improving around the same time I started smoking. I'm can't be totally sure, but I think marijuana played a significant part in that. It can change your perspective on things.

- Sherlock Holmes

L_Holmes
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2016, 12:05 am

Also, the memory thing is kind of true. But usually that's only if you're actually getting high, and even then it's not permanent. If you're only having some to ease anxiety, and especially if you're using the high CBD, low THC strands, I don't think that it would be a big problem.

But everyone reacts a little differently. The best way to find out is just to try it.

- Sherlock Holmes

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2016, 6:12 am

saxgeek wrote:

:lol:

friedmacguffins
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2016, 4:23 pm

It has a name and knowable effects, but most of the responses I am reading are "Reefer Madness" propaganda.

As the story goes, it got the name came from it helping reef fishermen steer their boats through sandbars, at night.

To the best of my understanding, ancient peoples might die, if they were not highly-intelligent, or could not withstand the rigors of outdoor living.

Can we say that, about most anyone, who we know, today? Not usually.

My mother told me, this morning, that most of her Home Ec class could not read the the directions on a box of instant cake mix and cook it.

Some people use drugs, to help them cram for tests, work on docks, fly airplanes, and build machines. (All real examples.)

https://www.yahoo.com/news/controversia ... 32312.html