The Dino-Aspie Ex-Café (for Those 40+... or feeling creaky)

Page 1001 of 1006 [ 16087 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 998, 999, 1000, 1001, 1002, 1003, 1004 ... 1006  Next

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2019, 10:45 am

Nan wrote:
Jakki wrote:
Love this topic . Love info. Ty , am going to hope my wet cells are up to some demands , against a inverter , cold cranking hours what not, versus , surge draw . Am hoping to initially just try to support various .low amp draw 12 volt , 5 volt Dc applications . , batteries ,, might look at australias Red cell z wave batteries . Little pricey , but claims are impressive .
My system is based on some very old 14 volt in direct sunlight output . But as written before ,area only has solid sunlight in areas for panels, for approx 5 hours . Old aerospace panels. No amp output tested yet. And , am pretty sure 5000 watt inverter will suck wet cells dead in 1/2 hour probably . But am owning 300 watt also .. long term , am living in area requiring air conditioning , health requirements too .. big squirrel cage blower . Am , considering test out home made. Air con. unit as a by pass in the air ducting. ( Unit automotive condenser unit, aluminium . Finned high density ), running ice water through it . Or water and glycerin . Pumped through a portable auto motive refrigerator. 12 volt.
Possibly the squirrel cage motor maybe 12 volt car starter unit. My goal is to reduce inverter usauge as much as possible as system expands . Was hoping to use multiple peltier panels . But amp draw is not as good as hoped . Thank You for your patience with my going on about this.
And yes am soliciting criticisms ?? Please
(Considered multiple bottles of jack daniels for coolant, but temptation too strong)

Hmmm. Interesting. When I was a kid, before most homes had A/C, my dad made a chiller out of a bomber aircraft radiator. It lived in the basement, and a fan sucked air through it and up through the ductwork that the central heat used in the winter. The only downside was that every day we had to go downstairs and bail out the water that had condensed on it out of the tray it sat on, or it would overflow all over the floor. But it definitely cooled the house down!

Thinking back on it, I can't remember it being attached to the well or any other water source. But it must have been or else the air flowing over the vanes would have warmed up the water in the radiator and it would have no longer worked. But I don't remember well enough. (Its been well over 50 years now, unfortunately, and the memory is spotty back that far.)

Tyvm .. getting a automotive refrigerator might be serious amp draw..
You dad , sounds brilliant .

where ever you go ,there you are

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2019, 3:51 pm

Jakki wrote:
Nan wrote:
Jakki wrote:
Love this topic . Love info. Ty , am going to hope my wet cells are up to some demands , against a inverter , cold cranking hours what not, versus , surge draw . Am hoping to initially just try to support various .low amp draw 12 volt , 5 volt Dc applications . , batteries ,, might look at australias Red cell z wave batteries . Little pricey , but claims are impressive .
My system is based on some very old 14 volt in direct sunlight output . But as written before ,area only has solid sunlight in areas for panels, for approx 5 hours . Old aerospace panels. No amp output tested yet. And , am pretty sure 5000 watt inverter will suck wet cells dead in 1/2 hour probably . But am owning 300 watt also .. long term , am living in area requiring air conditioning , health requirements too .. big squirrel cage blower . Am , considering test out home made. Air con. unit as a by pass in the air ducting. ( Unit automotive condenser unit, aluminium . Finned high density ), running ice water through it . Or water and glycerin . Pumped through a portable auto motive refrigerator. 12 volt.
Possibly the squirrel cage motor maybe 12 volt car starter unit. My goal is to reduce inverter usauge as much as possible as system expands . Was hoping to use multiple peltier panels . But amp draw is not as good as hoped . Thank You for your patience with my going on about this.
(Considered multiple bottles of jack daniels for coolant, but temptation too strong)

Hmmm. Interesting. When I was a kid, before most homes had A/C, my dad made a chiller out of a bomber aircraft radiator. It lived in the basement, and a fan sucked air through it and up through the ductwork that the central heat used in the winter. The only downside was that every day we had to go downstairs and bail out the water that had condensed on it out of the tray it sat on, or it would overflow all over the floor. But it definitely cooled the house down!

Thinking back on it, I can't remember it being attached to the well or any other water source. But it must have been or else the air flowing over the vanes would have warmed up the water in the radiator and it would have no longer worked. But I don't remember well enough. (Its been well over 50 years now, unfortunately, and the memory is spotty back that far.)

He was one of "us". He also "tinkered" with stuff a lot.

Memory is coming back now... there was a barrel of water and a tube that went through it and into and out of the radiator. Convection moved the warmer water out and sucked in cooler water from the barrel. Yeah. That seems right....

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

05 Oct 2019, 5:51 pm

Nan wrote:
Jakki wrote:
Nan wrote:
Jakki wrote:

He was one of "us". He also "tinkered" with stuff a lot.

Memory is coming back now... there was a barrel of water and a tube that went through it and into and out of the radiator. Convection moved the warmer water out and sucked in cooler water from the barrel. Yeah. That seems right....

Am diligent , but fatigue situation has me wondering if will get to that point,
Work in spurts . From lotsa coffee, 3 hours functional and needing to lay down for days at a time . Electric bills are seriously high these days . Makes one wonder if much electricity is getting pumped back into grid ..why are rates still going up .. sighes.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2019, 10:39 am

So... 4pm Sunday has come and gone. It has been cool (good for photovoltaics) and sunny (also good for photovoltaics). I've been looking at what I'm generating, and I'm more than impressed! I've been getting something like 1.5kw from the panels, which means nearly 60% efficiency.

I've also discovered that lots of the segments on the solar inverter's LCD display are not working. That makes it rather hard to read! At first I thought I was only getting 500w, but all the segments for the digit before that are dead.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

06 Oct 2019, 11:08 pm

lau wrote:
So... 4pm Sunday has come and gone. It has been cool (good for photovoltaics) and sunny (also good for photovoltaics). I've been looking at what I'm generating, and I'm more than impressed! I've been getting something like 1.5kw from the panels, which means nearly 60% efficiency.

I've also discovered that lots of the segments on the solar inverter's LCD display are not working. That makes it rather hard to read! At first I thought I was only getting 500w, but all the segments for the digit before that are dead.

Ahh the secret life of dead segments,,,,?

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Oct 2019, 2:12 am

lau wrote:

Impressive!

lau
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2020, 4:42 pm

Since I got it in August, last year, I've loved my Nissan Leaf. Electric vehicles work.

I got a bit underwhelmed with the range. A hundred miles is pretty OK, but just a bit irritating at times.

The satnav is five years out-of-date, and they want £95 to update it. Stupid.

Even though it has four cameras, giving a 360 degree view around the car, that's pretty useless in poor weather. I managed to wreck my front bumper on a concrete planter.

Well, I've gone a bit self-indulgent. I get my Tesla 3 in just under a week.

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2020, 5:22 pm

oooooooooooooooooooooo

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2020, 5:27 pm

אני עדיין לא יודע מה אני אעשה מחר

אמרתי לג׳וש אתמול שאני רציתי לנסוע לפורט אנגלס)

וויקטוריה. אי וונקובר. קנדה

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

CarlM
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2020, 7:39 pm

lau wrote:
Since I got it in August, last year, I've loved my Nissan Leaf. Electric vehicles work.

I got a bit underwhelmed with the range. A hundred miles is pretty OK, but just a bit irritating at times.

Even though it has four cameras, giving a 360 degree view around the car, that's pretty useless in poor weather. I managed to wreck my front bumper on a concrete planter.

I have a 2019 Chevy Bolt EV and my aspie daughter has a 2016 LEAF. Good to see another EVer here. Maybe a Tesla will be next for me too.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

13 Feb 2020, 10:19 pm

lau wrote:

yaay congradulations......

lau
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2020, 4:47 am

Kiprobalhato wrote:

אני מצטער, אבל אני לא עושה עברית.

:D

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2020, 8:42 pm

lau wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:

translation to english requested please?

CarlM
Veteran
Veteran

14 Feb 2020, 10:32 pm

Jakki wrote:
lau wrote:
Kiprobalhato wrote:

translation to english requested please?

Google Translate did a good job on this Hebrew :D.

Kiprobalhato: I still don't know what I'll do tomorrow
I told Josh yesterday that I wanted to go to Port Angeles)
Victoria. Vancouver Island. Canada

lau: I'm sorry, but I don't speak Hebrew.

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

15 Feb 2020, 5:33 am

Yep. https://translate.google.co.uk/

It seems we all like to have a little extra attention, doesn't it? :wink: :wink:

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

16 Feb 2020, 12:40 am

Nan wrote:
Yep. https://translate.google.co.uk/

It seems we all like to have a little extra attention, doesn't it? :wink: :wink:

:idea: