severity of condition vs severity of autism

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Zylon
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

15 Jun 2016, 5:13 pm

The term "autism" is not yet defined as a definite condition entity. Therefore, people like me who have a severe condition (relative to this environment) may have their symptoms unaligned with the symptoms most associated with autism (using the term "autistic spectrum" does not change this situation at all). Seen through the criteria of autism alone, I may seem "high functioning" or "mild", however, my autistic-like condition is not at all high functioning or mild. In other words, the severe parts of my condition are not centered on the defining autistic traits, but what they are centered on is yet not in the DSM or ICD, but are similar to autism (split off from the environment with different instincts from NTs).
(If you want more personal information about my condition, you may see my blog zylon2.blogspot.com)

Marybird
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2016, 2:10 pm

Zylon, I enjoyed reading your blog, it is very interesting.
I also have short term memory problems and it is difficult for me to memorize things and has impacted my vocabulary and ability to express myself as well as my performance academically.
I have lived my life more in my own mind rather than interacting with the world.

What you wrote about having memories of early infancy is not surprising.
It may have something to do with the fact that people with autism have extra synapses due to a slowdown of normal brain pruning processes during development, and early memories are more degraded by brain pruning processes, which causes of infantile amnesia.

Quote:
Adult networks that undergo synaptic pruning actually lose the ability to retrieve the earliest memories.

In humans, this phenomenon is known as "childhood amnesia," in which memories before the age of 5

are hazy, and those before 3 are almost completely inaccessible. This amnesia emerges from the

networks because the earliest memories are stored in a highly distributed fashion, relying on many

different neurons, while later memories are stored in a more sparse format. Therefore, early

memories are more degraded by the pruning strategy because of sheer probability: more neurons

participate in their representation, so they are more easily affected by changes to the network.

My memories before the age of 2 are hazy and my memories between the ages of 2 and 5 seem more real then memories of my school years and young adulthood, as if they could have happened yesterday.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2016, 2:32 pm

My earliest memories are from when I was two. I remember nothing before that. My mom thinks I only have memories from the videos I have seen of me as a baby. She even told me you don't start to remember things until you are at least five and then she tells me while we were in Europe that she remembered being at Niagara Falls and she was two and she remembers she had to walk and it was like some cave they were in at the falls. She gets separated from her family and sees a guy she thinks is her father so she goes up to him and grabs his hand and the woman standing next to the guy comments how cute it is and my mom got scared and started to scream and my grandfather yelled "Mouse, get over here." Mouse was my mom's nickname because she was very quiet. She even described how uncomfortable she felt because the hat was too big and the boots went up her legs because they didn't have her size and the coat was big too so it was hard for her to move. I was surprised my grandparents didn't carry her and she told me times were different then. So she could remember before five years of age and she didn't believe me when I told her of some memories about our old house we lived in. :?

My youngest brother's earliest memory is being in a pool and there is a dolphin at the bottom of the pool. He was one and two then because we were all in Hawaii that year for 17 days and it was for my mom's birthday and my grandparents were down there and one of my dad's relatives. Cousin or uncle I don't remember. Two of my dad's brothers were down there too and one of their partners.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.