Deltaville
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2016, 7:03 am

Fnord wrote:
Deltaville wrote:
Fnord wrote:
Deltaville wrote:
Einsteinmyhero, I am astonished that you assume the notion that all of reality can be confined to mathematics and physical laws. ...
It is no surprise at all that anyone would believe in myths, lies, and legends - parents fill our heads with this nonsense from infancy to adolescence. What is a surprise is that some exceptional people grow up and throw away their childish beliefs in favor of practical knowledge, which is presented badly in our schools and media. Practical materialists make a difference, and there are too few of us. The rest do not, and there are too many of them. Quoting verses from faith-based books as if they were somehow irresistible magic spells does nothing to convince us of their alleged validity.
Wish you could have been a little more tactful in making that statement.
Yes, but I could not have been any more truthful.
Deltaville wrote:
Show some respect.
Respect for what? A book? It has no feelings, being an inanimate object. Fallacious beliefs in myths and legends? Don't make me laugh. :roll:

People? Well, have a good evening, then. May you sleep safe and well. :D

So you say.

"Don't forget to floss." - Darkwing Duck

Grischa
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Jun 2016, 3:38 pm

Here's an attempt to combine a little bit traditional religion and sense for reality (inspired by the OP and an article of Alan Watts).

First traditional religion. In traditional religion God creates man. No idea why. Man is created to the likeness of God. No idea why. And it is Gods role to create paradise. No idea why.
Christianity goes a little bit further than that. In Christianity God himself did appear as a man and come to earth. This makes a little more sense. Though still incomprehensible. At least it makes more sense why he would come to earth, than creating and putting man on earth.

But in Christianity it was only as one man he came to earth and not more than that. The rest of the crowd are still creations. A more modern interpretation would allow us not to talk about the coming of God, first coming, second coming, but the "coming out" of God. The interpretation would be that God is appearing in every person. In this perspective it is not his task to create man, or to create paradise, but to come to earth as man to experience paradise. Because if there is no paradise, there can still be moments, experiences, of joy. Experiences from the type 'it feels as if in paradise'. And to experience suffering, for the sake of it.

Campin_Cat
Veteran
Veteran

18 Jun 2016, 9:05 am

Well, here's the thing that always throws me, whenever there's talk about math / science vs. God..... It seems as though people think things didn't exist before there was an equation / name given to them. I mean, look it..... Einstein is credited for the equation E=MC2, but that existed before he discovered it----and, the things (energy, mass, speed-of-light) existed before someone gave them those names; IMO, as with anything else, they were given a name / equation so that they could be recognized, henceforth.

No science is exact, and I believe we have only BEGUN to scratch the surface, on SO MANY things. When we "discover" something, it doesn't just THEN come into being----so, for instance, where does a 4-billion-old rock come-from, before we name it, and pronounce it's existence? E=MC2 existed before Einstein "assigned" it an equation, so how did it (and the individual elements) come into being?

Science and Maths are WONDERFUL because they give us answers, but, maybe not THEE answer----otherwise, Pluto would've never been "de-throned", for instance. Also, what if in another 100 years Neil DeGrasse Tyson is proven wrong?