Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 11:12 pm

Cernunnos wrote:
sinsboldly wrote:
Cernunnos wrote:
But sorry guys, we're probably not that sympathetic over here! Our petrol is currently priced at around US$7.30 per US Gallon 8O

oh, ok, now I feel so much better :roll: as I drive 48.28 kilometers to work and back, making it a 96.56 K trip all around. I live in the huge Western part of The States in the Pacific NorthWest and we have a lot of ground to cover.

How far do YOU drive to work, etc?
Merle

sinsboldly,

Cernunnos wrote:
I wasn't slagging off Americans - what I said was done in a light hearted manner but obviously didn't come across like that.

wow, you gotta tell me what 'slagging off' means. . .

Cernunnos wrote:
Shutting up now, as it seems whatever I say on these forums at the moment causes consternation.

oh, goodness, Cernunnos, not a problem, I wasn't being that harsh either, but I guess it didn't come though that way either. I though I was being very accomodating, converting to klicks, too!

Merle

janicka
Veteran
Veteran

07 May 2007, 5:15 pm

There's an article today on MSN about it....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18492185/

Xenon
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2007, 3:29 pm

Fuzzy wrote:
Cernunnos, there is a gulf of misunderstanding about distance between North Americans and Europeans. We dont understand how tightly packed you are, and often you guys dont seem to understand how wide spread we are!

Heh. I live in Edmonton. Calgary is 300 km (about 185 miles) to the south. And I've gone on day trips to Calgary. (As in, go there in the morning, drive back to Edmonton in the evening.) We don't tend to think of that as a big deal.

The summer before my last year of high school, I went to spend a month with my grandparents in Germany. The town in which they lived was about 120 km (75 miles) from Frankfurt, where the big international airport is located. My aunt and uncle (who lived in the same town as my grandparents) came to pick me up. And the way they acted about travelling 120 km was like they were going up the Amazon or something.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2007, 3:49 pm

now, that's funny!

I understand about 'going up the Amazon' to get to places. I move to large cities and start driving around, to orient myself, and join strange clubs that meet in out of the way places. I get a phone call - go to such and such an address and bring a covered dish! So I rip off a Google Map or MapQuest of the address and off I go. Seems like I needed glasses for years and it never occurred to me to get any.
Anyway I drove for miles, squinting at every street sign I came to, having to get out and walk up to a house to see what the address was, and finally I find the house and I can be part of the choral group or the dungeon scene or what ever! I finally realized one day that other people did not have it quite so hard if they wore their glasses! So I got a pair, and it has helped immensely.
Once I find my way, I can usually find it again with unerring accuracy. I hadn't been back in my birthplace in Hodgkins Disease, KS, USA for over 30 years, but when my cousin got lost I could guide her back exactly to where we needed to go, because I hadn't forgotten since high school!

Merle

maldoror
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2007, 5:55 pm

Yeah, don't avoid driving because it's f*****g up the planet or causing expensive destabilizing wars, avoid driving because it costs half a paycheck to fill up your SUV. Stupid people.