Page 1 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 2:39 am

I was forwarded the following message:
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Don't pump gas on MAY 15th

In April 1997, there was a "gas out" conducted nationwide in protest of gas prices. Gasoline prices dropped 30 cents a gallon overnight.

On May 15th 2007, all internet users are to not go to a gas station in protest of high gas prices. Gas is now over $3.00 a gallon in most places.

There are 73,000,000+ American members currently on the internet network, and the average car takes about 30 to 50 dollars to fill up.

If all users did not go to the pump on the 15th, it would take $2,292,000,000.00 (that's almost 3 BILLION) out of the oil companies pockets for just one day, so please do not go to the gas station on May 15th and lets try to put a dent in the Middle Eastern oil industry for at least one day.

If you agree (which I cant see why you wouldn't) resend this to all your contact list. With it saying, ''Don't pump gas on May 15th"
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Anybody know if this is for real or BS?

Iruka
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 May 2007, 2:58 am

Dunno, but I think its a good idea. Then again, I don't drive much. I only go to the pump about once a week, unless my family members or relatives are borrowing my car (in which case once a week turns into every other day).

Flagg
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 3:03 am

Count me in.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 4:12 am

There has never been a sucessful gas out. it would take over a week to affect prices, and they would adjust them upwards after to reflect losses. that data is entirely fictional.

Butcher
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 May 2007, 4:30 am

Plus you're not actually buying any less gas, you'd just be waiting a day to buy it.

lowfreq50
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 4:47 am

It's pointless. As a previous member pointed out, this does not change consumption. Only a change in the Quantity Demanded would affect price. In fact, it IS affecting price ... it is increasing the price as our QD increases!

Cernunnos
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 8:12 am

A few years ago there was a fuel blockade in the UK against the ever increasing tax on petrol. This was a lot more severe action though and involved blockades of refineries. It did stop the government incresing tax for a short while, but being British that was our one stab at protest. The organisers could never draw as much support again.

But sorry guys, we're probably not that sympathetic over here! Our petrol is currently priced at around US$7.30 per US Gallon 8O

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 8:17 am

you guys don't get it, that info that Lyssa has is a year old, this year
it's not just ONE DAY to stop buying GAS,

it's not buying gas from SHELL or EXXON, again EVER

respectfully,

Merle

Last edited by sinsboldly on 04 May 2007, 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

alex
Developer
Developer

04 May 2007, 8:17 am

if you need gas, you can't really participate, however.

calandale
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 8:25 am

Eh, most people don't fill up
every day anyhow. But, it
does seem silly to buy it
on the surrounding days.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 8:49 am

Cernunnos wrote:
But sorry guys, we're probably not that sympathetic over here! Our petrol is currently priced at around US$7.30 per US Gallon 8O

oh, ok, now I feel so much better :roll: as I drive 48.28 kilometers to work and back, making it a 96.56 K trip all around. I live in the huge Western part of The States in the Pacific NorthWest and we have a lot of ground to cover.

How far do YOU drive to work, etc?
Merle

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 8:56 am

From the mouth of an urban myth debunker. Read and weep. Its bunk. All of it.

http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/nogas.asp

bizarre
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 9:32 am

I always buy the cheep no-name gas not Exxon or Shell.

MsTriste
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 9:36 am

Merle introduced me to Snopes a while back - I should have known to go straight to them to ask this question.

I LOVE that website. We're all so gullible (well I am, anyway) and it helps to know there's a place to go for answers.

Cernunnos
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 10:00 am

sinsboldly wrote:
Cernunnos wrote:

oh, ok, now I feel so much better :roll: as I drive 48.28 kilometers to work and back, making it a 96.56 K trip all around. I live in the huge Western part of The States in the Pacific NorthWest and we have a lot of ground to cover.

How far do YOU drive to work, etc?
Merle

sinsboldly,

I was not slagging off Americans - what I said was done in a light hearted manner but obviously didn't come across like that.

Shutting up now, as it seems whatever I say on these forums at the moment causes consternation.

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2007, 10:37 am

Cernunnos, there is a gulf of misunderstanding about distance between North Americans and Europeans. We dont understand how tightly packed you are, and often you guys dont seem to understand how wide spread we are!

My city, called Grande Prairie is 60 some sqr kilometers. The population is only 50 000! Its more than 10 km long and probably 6-7 wide. I was shocked at one point when I spoke to a UKer and his town was 50 000 as well, but he was crammed into not even half that size. There are some bedroom communities within 1/2 hour, but the nearest place with more than 10 000 people is more than 100 km away! Thats not atypical at all. There are about 4 major towns between here and the capital, Edmonton Alberta.

Edmonton, the capital, is a good 684 sqr km.. bigger than Chicago. Its population is only 3/4 of a million. Just over 1000 people per sqr km.

Alberta, the province, is 661,848 km² in area. Britain for example is only 241,590. Alberta has 3 000 000 people. Britain has in excess of 60 000 000. Alberta is 4.5 people per sqr km, while Britain is 248 per sqr km!

I cannot fathom how you live like that! On my street, there are 8 houses. And I am in the middle of a city! Less than 30 people probably live along a stretch of street that is 300 feet long. The houses are 24 feet back from the street, leaving a front yard. Back yards are at least the same deep, and yards are 30 feet wide. So in 720 sqr feet of property, live 2 people(in my case).

You did come across in a light hearted manner though. Dont worry about it.