Can "Neurotypical" Stims look the same as Autistic stims?

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Elizabethp78
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Jun 2016, 3:56 pm

Hey guys,

So I've posted on this forum once before asking about a certain stim that I recently realized I have been doing all my life. Ever since I was a little girl, I will wiggle my fingers back and forth (sometimes both hands) at random times. I've figured out that I do this mainly whenever I'm happy/satisfied with something lol.

Anyways, this has been the only stim I have been able to recognize in myself throughout the duration of my life. Also, I have pretty much no other typical aspergers/autism traits in me. When I learned that was I was doing with my fingers every now and then was a "stim" often found in those with autism, I freaked out. I had never once seen myself as autistic - and no one else had either. I never do this stim in public, it is only when I'm alone. Since learning about this 3 weeks ago, I've completely stopped this stim. I still feel the urges however. The urges come on multiple times throughout the day, but I'm able to resist them. I think it's probably important to note that i suffer from pretty bad anxiety (only for the past couple years,) and this anxiety is causing me to obsess about this and also feel more tension when I have an urge.

Anyways, I've lived a pretty average life, and have never caused anyone to question if I had any type of disorder. I talked to my parents recently about this, and expressed my concern with this stim. They laughed it off and said of course i'm not autistic - they said everyone does little quirky things at times - which I know to be true. This brings me to my main point. So everyone stims - both autistic and neurotypical... but according to what I've read online, my stim doesn't look like a neurotypical stim. In fact, I've seen autistic children wiggle their fingers in the way I do! I guess my main question is - can a neurotypical stim look like an autistic one? Even if that person has no other autistic/asperger traits?

Just looking for some answers. Thanks :)

ImeldaJace
Veteran
Veteran

16 Jun 2016, 5:44 pm

I'm not sure about your situation in particular, but in general yes, Neurotypicals can have the same stims as autistics. For example, clicking a pen, finger or foot tapping, and swinging your leg are all things that many neruotypical do but they are also stims that autistics do.

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2016, 1:40 am

My mom (who is NT in the sense that she's not autistic, but she does have ADD and a few autistic tendencies) stims sometimes, doing things like rocking back and forth and picking at her skin occasionally. I do that stuff a lot more, but it still does look quite autistic even though I'm the only person in the family with autism.

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2016, 3:21 pm

It might be helpful to read up on autism in females. It's a little different than in males. I would read posts BY autistic females and see if you relate to them. I mean, you would a little bit anyway. I'm neurotypical and I'm always relating to things on WrongPlanet, but not in a deep way like autistic people seem to when reading about other people's experiences.

You could also try taking the RAADS-R self-assessment to give you an idea. I have my own scores saved if you would comparison scores for someone no where near the autism spectrum.

As to your specific question- I've lived with autistic people since I was nine, and when I was working I always had several autistic co-workers. I'm pretty familiar with stimming. Yes, some of it translates over. I'd have to see this wiggling to know what you're talking about. Finger-FOLDING seems to be an autistic thing. Drumming seems to happen for both autistic and neurotypical people. Flapping also is an autistic thing, but again, what's the difference between wiggling and flapping? It can be hard to tell.

Pacing is something that both NTs and aspies/auties do. Requiring a routine or exercise to relax can also be something that could go either way. I think you just need to read up on this a little more and do some more investigating.

And try not to freak out. It's not bad either way. It's always good to find out more about yourself!

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

17 Jun 2016, 4:55 pm

I would not stop just because it might be an Autistic type of stim. Whether it is more Autistic or more of an NT stim, what does it matter? If your body needs to do it and it brings you comfort just do it. There's no stim police. No one will be upset at you if you enjoy a good hand flap whenever you need it. Don't resist the urge; it's not a sin. If your body is craving that movement it's because it is helpful to your body. It doesn't matter if you are NT or Autistic or anything else.

And if you happen to have some Autistic traits, there is no need to freak out over that. You are and will be the exact same persin you always have been and if you have the traits now you pretty much have always had them. You might not have noticed before but they were always a part of you. So you are still you. No need to freak out. :heart:

Wreck It Ralph

TheAvenger161173
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

17 Jun 2016, 5:28 pm

I have a similar stim. I usually do it in busy places or if I'm waiting around. Caught myself doing it today in the supermarket.

Schlumpfikus
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

18 Jun 2016, 1:02 pm

I can just say I got to try out 'stim toys' during a vocational training once and everyone in the group found them super :D