Sea Gull

20 Jun 2016, 11:28 am

Fish oil pills

CommanderKeen
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2016, 10:09 am

underwater wrote:
Sounds like your diet is really high on meat, fat and processed carbs, which means you'll need to replace a lot of it with vegetables and some fruit. The challenge is really learning your vegetables and how to prepare them.

As someone mentioned, stir fries are excellent. You can stir fry just about any vegetable, and in my experience, stir frying reduces the need for meat, for some reason. Eating brown rice with it makes a big difference from eating white rice. If you can afford it, quinoa is really excellent for keeping you blood sugar stable.

One thing you might have to keep an eye on is cravings. If you are used to having a lot of fast carbs, and you suddenly cut them out, you can get some serious cravings that can manifest as a wish for alcohol. Since that is something you struggle with, you need to be mentally prepared for it. Once it passes, you'll feel a lot better. Also, eating a varied diet reduces cravings.

Don't be too hard on yourself if it isn't perfect from the start. Some people function better with making dramatic changes in their life, others need to change one habit at a time.

Making my own granola helps me start the day in a good way. This recipe is full of nuts and seeds, which give you lasting energy and minerals. I cut out the dried fruit (too sweet) and use olive oil instead of coconut oil (cheaper and healthier): http://www.cannellevanille.com/gluten-f ... la-recipe/ It of course doesn't need to be gluten free.

This blog has very good and reliable recipes. The blogger used to be a vegetarian, so she's got good recipes with vegetables. She also focuses on using normal equipment and ingredients, so that the recipes are possible to make in a small kitchen. http://smittenkitchen.com/

This blog is a real gem. The blogger posts very seldom. She seems to be a mad perfectionist. However, her recipes are excellent and focus on a lot on vegetables that grow well in the US, so they might be cheaper than imported or California-based vegetables. You can get a lot of food from squashes :D Also, the roasted cabbage salad is simple and cheap: http://casayellow.com/

Sorry if I go on, as you can see this is a special interest :oops: . That said, I know quite a few people who wanted to start cooking, and they all said the same thing; they didn't know where to start.

Bon appetit!

There is nothing wrong with meat and fat, provided it's healthy fat. Fat isn't the enemy of health, in fact your body needs fat for proper hormone function. Processed carbs are a problem however.

CommanderKeen
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2016, 10:10 am

Vegetables are better than fruit, not that fruit isn't good.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2016, 10:15 am

CommanderKeen wrote:
There is nothing wrong with meat and fat, provided it's healthy fat. Fat isn't the enemy of health, in fact your body needs fat for proper hormone function. Processed carbs are a problem however.

I seem to thrive on quality protein and fat, with carbs only from veggies and some fruits (mostly berries) and no gluten. My doctor keeps marvelling at my annual blood test results and says they show me 20 years younger :D

For me, eliminating gluten really did wonders for both mental and physical energy.

CommanderKeen
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2016, 10:17 am

BenderRodriguez wrote:
^
I seem to thrive on quality protein and fat, with carbs only from veggies and some fruits (mostly berries) and no gluten. My doctor keeps marvelling at my annual blood test results and says they show me 20 years younger :D

For me, eliminating gluten really did wonders for both mental and physical energy.

I actually heard that animal organs are very healthy to eat, not that I'm going to eat a cow heart anytime soon.

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2016, 10:18 am

CommanderKeen wrote:
BenderRodriguez wrote:
^

I actually heard that animal organs are very healthy to eat, not that I'm going to eat a cow heart anytime soon.

Eating liver is very common where I live, and I like it a lot. It's also very cheap.

Edit: with organs, the way they are cooked is crucial and can make the difference from disgusting to delicious.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2016, 12:02 pm

BenderRodriguez wrote:
CommanderKeen wrote:

I thrive on pretty much the same diet - perhaps with more veggies.

I absolutely agree with you, CommanderKeen. I've been paying attention to the metastudies that show no positive health effects from having a low fat diet. That said, the quality of fat is important. Firstly, the ratio between saturated and unsaturated fats, and secondly how the fat has been treated. In the case of a diet rich in fast food, what you'll get is a too high percentage of saturated fats, and those fats, because they are heated and reheated at high temperatures, tend to be of lower quality and containing more carcinogens than if one were to replace some meat with wild fish, nuts/seeds and olive oil that hasn't been subjected to very high temperatures (keep in mind that a lot of olive oil isn't really olive oil - rape seed oil is also a good alternative).

I've been looking into which cultures actually manage to stay skinny even though they have a high standard of living, and technically should be ready to gorge. Both the French and the Japanese are pretty good at staying skinny. Part of that is that they eat small portions and don't overdo the sweets. Also they eat a very varied diet rich in fruit and vegetables and have very high standards for freshness. They also walk a lot. The big difference is that the Japanese diet is rich in seafood, whereas the French diet has always been high in saturated fat. Yet both countries manage to stay skinny and have long lives.

One thing that might be influencing weight gain in the industrialized world though, is that the fat balance in meat is being disturbed by feeding the animals soy and corn instead of grass.

Because research on nutrition is notoriously unreliable, I try to copy people who seem to know what they are doing rather than marry a scientific theory that might later be disproved. One thing nutrition research is clear on, though, is that our bodies are much more successful at extracting nutrients from real food than from vitamin supplements.

lidsmichelle
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2016, 11:42 pm

Buy and prepare dried beans, rice (try to go for non bleached rice), lentils, if there's farmers markets utilize those. Plan your meals around in season veggies.

I spend more money that I probably should on spices, but f**k it I want to enjoy my food, which means I always need to have a number of spices (I like to have cayenne, crushed red pepper flakes, smoked paprika, peppercorns to grind, cumin, sea salt, herbs de provence, cinnamon, bay leaves, and a good Cajun seasoning). But seasonings are what makes food good, so they're worth it lol.

I'd utilize Pinterest for recipes. You can find a lot of healthy, inexpensive recipes on it. I have tons of recipes pinned on there.

Herein You Will Find Various And Numerous And Innumerable Hexes, Curses, Words In The Old Tongue To Cleave A’Twain Friend, Foe, Family Alike. If You So Choose. Money Hates Me, God Hates Me, My Wife Hates Me, My Own Hands Hate Me. But Thats All Beside The Point. The Point Is That My Time Here On Earth Runs Short. Im Not Dying But You All Are. Im A Glass Of Wine. Nothing Beats A Glass Of Wine. When The Kids Arent Home And Your A Mother Theres A Glass Of Wine There. A Glass Coffee Table And I’m A Glass Of Wine. Stressful Day When The Kids And you're Husband Then Glass Of Wine. Dark Chocolate Indulge. Petty Indulgences. When you're A Glass Of Wine And Let The Body’s Hit The Floor. When Your Glass Of Wine Is Running Short And You Say Heck What Of It. Why Dont I Have Another. Bartender I Am A Glass Of Wine. Bottoms Up And The Devil Laughs. The Bartender Remembers When It Happened. They All Remember When It Happened And If They Knew That You Dont Remember Then They Would Know That Something Is Awry Here Or So They Would Think. Something Would Be Amiss Or Smells Fishy. So Theyre All Relating There Stories Of Where They Were When That Event Happened And The Eyes Move Clockwise About The Room Where We All Share Our Glass Of Wine And Suddenly The Clock Ticks To You And They Ask The Fatal Question That Destroys Your Reputation, The Question You Could Never Answer, The Dead Giveaway: Where Were You When The Bodies Hit The Floor

goatfish57
Veteran
Veteran

Location: In a village in La Mancha whose name I cannot recall

22 Jun 2016, 4:41 am

Finding a diet that works differs for most people. Healthy plant based fats, complex carbohydrates, plant based protein and animal protein all need to be balanced. The biggest problem I have is the time needed to shop, prep, cook and eat all the food I consume. It takes a surprisingly large amount of time. I eat 5 meals a day and it can get brutal.

Maintaining my weight has been an issue. Keeping a blood glucose friendly diet requires sacrifices. I can easily drop pounds without a thought. I do miss all the treats.

Not Diagnosed and Not Sure

For The Love Of All Cats
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Jun 2016, 10:45 am

Any tips on how to overcome the texture of some veggies? (Also how to just eat more veggies?) For example, I want to eat salad... But, the texture. I can't do it, and it makes me want to puke.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2016, 12:29 pm

For The Love Of All Cats wrote:
Any tips on how to overcome the texture of some veggies? (Also how to just eat more veggies?) For example, I want to eat salad... But, the texture. I can't do it, and it makes me want to puke.

Have you tried warm salads?

goatfish57
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2016, 6:16 am

Deconstructed salad

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2016, 6:26 am

goatfish57 wrote:
Deconstructed salad

That looks really delicious!

goatfish57
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2016, 6:33 am

Thank you, it is my breakfast salad.

Alexanderplatz
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2016, 5:17 pm

There's some stuff called Bulgur, Bulgar or Cracked Wheat. It might be a bit dearer than rice, but it is very filling and nutritional.

Buckwheat is even more nutritional.

Alexanderplatz
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2016, 5:18 pm

Get a bread machine and find interesting flours in wholefood shops