Positive experience of autism disclosure at a job interview

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Jo_B1_Kenobi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Jun 2016, 7:54 am

I am an experienced teacher of special needs children. However since I developed some physical problems I've been unable to teach, even part-time - it just puts too much strain on my body.

Last week I went for a Learning Support job - supporting some children with special needs just two hours a day. Since my last part-time teaching post I have been diagnosed with ASD so I wasn't sure how to deal with this. I phoned the National AUtistic Society helpline and the lady I spoke to gave me some really good factual information about whether I have to disclose or not. At the time I decided not to.

However, at interview, I felt bad about not disclosing because it seemed dishonest. I'm not a mega virtuous person or anything, but part of the ASD for me means that I can't cope with lies and deceit and not disclosing felt more stressful than I could manage. (Just so I'm clear, I'm not saying here that not disclosing is wrong or bad in any way, just that, because of the way the ASD manifests in me, I can't manage it.) So I disclosed at the end of the interview. I explained how being autistic helps me work well with children of this age group

- because it makes my thinking more concrete than most adults, so I can understand the children well and communicate easily;

- it means that I function really well in a structured environment like a school and so do the special needs children I will be working with so I can make sure that that structure is there, and stable, and helpful;

-and that, having had these difficulties myself, I have learned lots of ways to work around all sorts of problems and I can share that with them as someone who's done it herself. This really helps with some of the low self-esteem issues which children with SN can have.

Anyway, good news, I got the job!! !

[Edits - typos - oops!]

Diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ICD10)

ok
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jun 2016, 10:19 am

Congratulations! You're very brave disclosing your Asperger at the job interview - I have the done the same thing a few times, but it never lead me anywhere.

It's also very cool that you mentioned the positive sides of Aspergers related to your job. I'm amazed that you don't have a negative attitude towards autism after what happened in your previous job. I'm often trying to hide my Aspergers because I have very negative experiences with it - it lead me to depression, unemployment and getting fired, so I don't have a lot of good things to say about it.

Last edited by ok on 19 Jun 2016, 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

underwater
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2016, 12:12 pm

Congratulations!

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2016, 9:58 am

Congratulations! Great way to disclose! Tell them how autism would help their company!