Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2016, 12:58 pm

Eden. Original Sin or Original Virtue?

---------
http://dish.andrewsullivan.com/2013/10/ ... -theodicy/
“Judaism preaches the Rise of man: and instead of Original Sin, it stresses Original Virtue, the beneficent hereditary influence of righteous ancestors upon their descendants’.”
---------
http://aynrandlexicon.com/lexicon/original_sin.html
From John Galt's speech, in Atlas Shrugged.
“What is the nature of the guilt that your teachers call his Original Sin? What are the evils man acquired when he fell from a state they consider perfection? Their myth declares that he ate the fruit of the tree of knowledge—he acquired a mind and became a rational being. It was the knowledge of good and evil—he became a moral being. He was sentenced to earn his bread by his labor—he became a productive being. He was sentenced to experience desire—he acquired the capacity of sexual enjoyment. The evils for which they damn him are reason, morality, creativeness, joy—all the cardinal values of his existence. It is not his vices that their myth of man’s fall is designed to explain and condemn, it is not his errors that they hold as his guilt, but the essence of his nature as man. Whatever he was—that robot in the Garden of Eden, who existed without mind, without values, without labor, without love—he was not man.
Man’s fall, according to your teachers, was that he gained the virtues required to live. These virtues, by their standard, are his Sin. His evil, they charge, is that he’s man. His guilt, they charge, is that he lives.”

Matthew 5:48 Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.
Gen 3;22 And the LORD God said: 'Behold, the man is become as one of us, to know good and evil;

Do you see Eden as our Original Sin or as our Original Virtue?

Regards
DL

gingerpickles
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2016, 3:39 pm

Original sin. The sin of disobedience. Any net value yielded is tainted and is not worth the sacrifice of immortality and a personal walk together relationship with the Creator.

Of course Atheists will give an opinion, and most will say it a Virtue, when they do not even believe >_<

*my view is from Christian belief as a Catholic
the Jewish view of my converted great grandmother also was Original Sin. Also we were cat out and forbidden to even see the tree of life lest we get life eternal after losing it. So not so sure sure where this guy gets his "info other than a book ABOUT religious books.
Woteva

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2016, 6:21 pm

Actress
Star of I dream of Jeanie

Man and WOman broke The Rule

Moses a basket case brought us 613 ish more laws.

Laws are they for the law breakers some call sinners

How (if any way) does your answer affect your life today?

Lots of questions a few answers.
I'm guessing this thread will be like others

Regards .....

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2016, 6:33 pm

gingerpickles wrote:
Original sin. The sin of disobedience. Any net value yielded is tainted and is not worth the sacrifice of immortality and a personal walk together relationship with the Creator.

Of course Atheists will give an opinion, and most will say it a Virtue, when they do not even believe >_<

*my view is from Christian belief as a Catholic
the Jewish view of my converted great grandmother also was Original Sin. Also we were cat out and forbidden to even see the tree of life lest we get life eternal after losing it. So not so sure sure where this guy gets his "info other than a book ABOUT religious books.
Woteva

Does sin not need evil intent before it is a true sin?

Do you see A & E intending to do evil when they had yet to learn anything about good and evil?

Would you say that the tree of knowledge is analogous to what we would call a grand school?

Would you deny your children an education the way God seems to have wanted to deny A & E?

Regards
DL

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jun 2016, 6:36 pm

drlaugh wrote:
Actress
Star of I dream of Jeanie

Man and WOman broke The Rule

Moses a basket case brought us 613 ish more laws.

Laws are they for the law breakers some call sinners

How (if any way) does your answer affect your life today?

Lots of questions a few answers.
I'm guessing this thread will be like others

Regards .....

With such answers. Very likely.

Regards
DL

Jo_B1_Kenobi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Jun 2016, 9:43 am

GnosticBishop wrote:

Do you see A & E intending to do evil when they had yet to learn anything about good and evil?

Would you say that the tree of knowledge is analogous to what we would call a grand school?

Would you deny your children an education the way God seems to have wanted to deny A & E?

Regards
DL

I see this as an act of disobedience too. With respect to God denying knowledge I see that as more of a timing thing. Adam and Eve were new, just made. You don't give a baby a plastic bag to play with as it might be dangerous, but when that baby is grown plastics bags are then useful. Adam and Eve were told not to eat that fruit and they went against what they were told and ate it anyway. But nowhere does it say that that rule about not eating that fruit would last forever?

Thanks, Jo

Diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ICD10)

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2016, 11:01 am

It was neither sin, nor virtue.

God makes a tree with forbidden fruit. But doesnt put it on a high mountain, but sticks the tree with nice looking tempting looking fruit right there in plain site right in the middle of the home he makes for his two creations. Doesnt put thorns around the tree. Doesnt put poisonous snakes around the tree to guard it. Indeed he sends a talking snake to talk them into partaking of the fruit. He knew Adam and Eve were gonna succumb and eat the fruit all along. We all know he knew that from the narrative because it so obvious. So lets all call it what it is "Original Entrapment".

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2016, 12:55 pm

Jo_B1_Kenobi wrote:
GnosticBishop wrote:

Regards
DL

I see this as an act of disobedience too. With respect to God denying knowledge I see that as more of a timing thing. Adam and Eve were new, just made. You don't give a baby a plastic bag to play with as it might be dangerous, but when that baby is grown plastics bags are then useful. Adam and Eve were told not to eat that fruit and they went against what they were told and ate it anyway. But nowhere does it say that that rule about not eating that fruit would last forever?

Thanks, Jo

You add to scriptures while scriptures tell you not to do so in order to justify God's command for A & E to remain uneducated and shun knowledge.

You use their immaturity while ignoring that God thought they were mature enough to reproduce way back in Gen 1.

Denying even immature children an education is quite immoral and that is what you are supporting.

Regards
DL

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2016, 12:59 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
It was neither sin, nor virtue.

God makes a tree with forbidden fruit. But doesnt put it on a high mountain, but sticks the tree with nice looking tempting looking fruit right there in plain site right in the middle of the home he makes for his two creations. Doesnt put thorns around the tree. Doesnt put poisonous snakes around the tree to guard it. Indeed he sends a talking snake to talk them into partaking of the fruit. He knew Adam and Eve were gonna succumb and eat the fruit all along. We all know he knew that from the narrative because it so obvious. So lets all call it what it is "Original Entrapment".

A good way to put it.

Unfortunately, what is obvious to you and I is not obvious to those indoctrinated by Christianity.

Regards
DL

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2016, 8:37 pm

Even though I am Catholic, I have often wondered what happened to Adam and Eve after they got kicked out of the Garden Of Eden. Can anyone explain?

LKL
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2016, 9:56 pm

My avatar is Raven stealing the sun, just one of many origin myths in which humanity (or an agent) steals fire/warmth/technology/intelligence from a jealous god(s).

I definitely think it's a virtue: it's a myth in which humans went from pets to creative beings.

CommanderKeen
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2016, 10:27 pm

I know this thread isn't about Christ, but skip to 1:22.

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2016, 6:17 am

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:
Even though I am Catholic, I have often wondered what happened to Adam and Eve after they got kicked out of the Garden Of Eden. Can anyone explain?

God murdered them by neglect by locking away the tree of life.

That murder is analogous to how Jehova Witnesses murdered some of their children by not giving them a needed blood transfusion.

You will not likely see it that way though.

Regards
DL

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2016, 6:18 am

LKL wrote:
My avatar is Raven stealing the sun, just one of many origin myths in which humanity (or an agent) steals fire/warmth/technology/intelligence from a jealous god(s).

I definitely think it's a virtue: it's a myth in which humans went from pets to creative beings.

I agree.

Regards
DL

GnosticBishop
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2016, 6:25 am

CommanderKeen wrote:
I know this thread isn't about Christ, but skip to 1:22.

Thanks for showing how Christianity did a lot of editing for their bible.

I hope you do not believe that Jesus was a real miracle working character as described in the bible.

That would be showing a mind lost to fantasy and the supernatural.

Regards
DL

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2016, 6:29 pm

AnonymousAnonymous wrote:

They lived quietly in Pasadena, and avoided all publicity.

Just kidding.

Just crack the Bible to Genesis 4. After the expulsion they begat a bunch of kids. Including a certain pair of brothers: Cain and Abel. Cain invented murder- by practicing it on Abel.Cain got expelled from the tribe. So the trouble didnt stop with the Apple fiasco. Then the Bible goes into the "begats"- all of that stuff about the linneage of the early partriarchs: each one lived a couple centuries before "begetting" their most famous son, and then each lived almost 700 years after that. Then the most famous son lived to be 200 and begat the next guy, and so on. This list of 900 year old guys begetting sons goes on for a long time in Genesis Five.

Then by Genesis 6, when humans are starting to seriously populate the world it gets REALLY wierd: The "sons of God" (who ever they are) get turned on by seeing "the daughters of men" and start to knock up some of the daughters, and the result is "men of renown".

Adam and Eve pass away finnally (each in their late 800's), but the human saga continues (Tower of Babel, Flood. Abraham, etc). Then Genisis ends and it time for Exodus.