Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2016, 11:40 am

You might disagree with me on this but quite often why are kids taught to hate there dads? Okay fair enough maybe a father is viewed as less important than the mother role but seriously why is there an 'undeserved' hate against fathers in families?

I don't get it? :?

BenderRodriguez
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2016, 1:01 pm

Where on earth did you get that idea from?! 8O

I've seen couples using their kids against each other, especially after a messy divorce (and custody battles can turn into a blood bath), but I haven't seen (or heard of) even one single case where kids were "formally" taught to love their mother and hate their father :?

Actually, the only people I've ever met who hated one of their parents were abused and mistreated by said parent.

Marcia
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2016, 1:22 pm

I agree with the previous poster that this is a really bizarre question. Where did you get this idea?

saxgeek
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2016, 1:35 pm

You could be thinking of the Oedipus complex, which means that children tend to be closer to the parent of the opposite sex. But I don't really think "Hate Against Fathers" is relevant.

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2016, 1:41 pm

This has been a major online discussion topic for many years. The cultural ridicule or marginalization of fathers (and males in general) has been going on for a long time. One of the cultural strategies of the radical Left has always been to undermine family structure, and targeting fathers for ridicule or as irrelevant has been a big part of that. Strong families always stand in the way of the expanding State (and we can't have that).

Search Google for "war on fathers" or "war on dads" you'll find lots of material.

Related is the "war on boys" -- this essay back in 2000 was a landmark:
http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/arc ... ys/304659/

There Are Four Lights!

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2016, 2:20 pm

Darmok wrote:
This has been a major online discussion topic for many years. The cultural ridicule or marginalization of fathers (and males in general) has been going on for a long time. One of the cultural strategies of the radical Left has always been to undermine family structure, and targeting fathers for ridicule or as irrelevant has been a big part of that. Strong families always stand in the way of the expanding State (and we can't have that).

Search Google for "war on fathers" or "war on dads" you'll find lots of material.

Why do cultures ridicule males in general? It's it because we oppressed women prior to the 1900s?

I live in England and my personal opinion is that men in some aspects are treated much worse in society than women these days.

mikeman7918
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2016, 2:44 pm

BenderRodriguez wrote:
I've seen couples using their kids against each other, especially after a messy divorce (and custody battles can turn into a blood bath), but I haven't seen (or heard of) even one single case where kids were "formally" taught to love their mother and hate their father :?

That actually happened to me after my parents divorced. For example: my mom told us that my dad has gender dysphoria and she had no reason to tell us this except that we were anti-LGBT at the time (which for me at least is no longer the case, one of my best friends is LGBT). She also used his political views to get us to dislike him, and a few times she basicly strait up said that he was a terrible person. She also made a big point that my dad was not allowed in her house, and after the divorce I didn't see much of my dad for a while.

To make a long story short that was the worst few months of my life and I live with my dad now. I actually resisted moving back with my dad, but realizing that we were being manipulated to hate him it gave me just the kick in the face that I needed to realize that I should start taking a more scientific approach to everything. I was a conspiracy theorist back then and now I'm not. My parents have finally gotten over it enough that they can be in the same building for a while.

In response to the OP: I don't know what your talking about. Before the divorce I actually liked my dad the most because he was less strict.

Diagnosed with Asperger's, ADD, and Generalized Anxiety Disorder in 2004.
In denial that it was a problem until early 2016.

Deviant Art

ASDMommyASDKid
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2016, 3:26 pm

Jamesy wrote:
Darmok wrote:

Why do cultures ridicule males in general? It's it because we oppressed women prior to the 1900s?

I live in England and my personal opinion is that men in some aspects are treated much worse in society than women these days.

I am not sure what this discussion has to do with parenting (aside from the dad part). You really are not being very specific still, and I do not know what you are referencing.

I live in the US and TV programs generally depict fathers as goofy (but usually fun) and mothers as shrill, party poopers. Typically it is done for laughs. Is this what you are talking about? I don't think mothers are depicted in a good light either, so to me it is just that comedy is "easier" when they use stereotypes.

As far as the whole gender thing that is really not related to the parenting forum, and I probably don't want to get into that quagmire other than to say I don't think there is a vindictiveness going on about prior bad acts of prior generations, though I do not agree that patriarchal attitudes and rules ended in the 1800s (Women could not even vote in more "progressive" countries and certainly women are still oppressed to varying degrees depending on where one lives-- None of that is pertinent to what you are asking, I don't think--but then I don't know what you actually are resentful of specifically.

Ban-Dodger
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jun 2016, 3:48 pm

Reverse-misogyny can be credited to one of those latter-waves of feminism. Clearly it's Definitely a Conspiracy aimed at creating Cultures of Anti-Men sentiments. Try being a Single Man in the State of Washington who gets dragged somehow into the so-called Legal-System. Washington and Oregon have got some of the absolute most Anti-Men cultures and attitudes in all of America. They also always automatically assume that all men are pedophiles, pigs, dead-beats, etc. Lots of boy are driven into pussification (i.e. : zero-confidence mama's boys) when they grow up in these cultures... especially when raised by a single mom. Boys who grow up in this culture end up hearing nothing but bad about men, how men are all abusers (yet the women stay with these men anyway because the sex is apparently too damn good to end the relationship), how very few good men exist and that they are all taken already, etc.

Tell you what, for a better idea of where all of these anti-men attitudes come from, look up the various descriptions of the various waves of feminism that have come into existence, and read all of the different opinions that you can find in relation to the descriptions of each of these different waves of feminism. You can even start with something like "waves of feminism explained" for your key-word search, and if you pull up any of the search-results on a platform like You-Tube, read all of the comments that others have made in response to get a bigger picture behind the existence of these Anti-Men Conspiracies. I used to think that Conspiracy Theories were ridiculous, but after being harassed by the Legal-System so many times simply for refusing to contribute to their extortions, that was more-than-enough to kick my ass into researching and finding out that absolutely everything about existence is rigged galore to the tee.

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2016, 11:58 am

Eh, the crap on TV is mostly stereotypes played for humor value and writers' convenience. You pretty much have to use some tropes when you have such a short period of time in which to tell a story/make a point/get some laughs.

All stereotypes are built around a grain (albeit sometimes microscopic) of truth. All parents, not just dads, have humorously inept moments. All parents, not just moms, have humorous overwrought and bitchy moments. Personally, sometimes my husband reminds me of Tim Taylor from that old show Home Improvement, and I remind myself of Grace Kelly from Grace Under Fire. We joke about being Peg and Al Bundy, I think because we're both insecure about turning into those caricatures.

Now, there is definitely some prevalent man-bashing in our liberal culture...

...and there's some prevalent woman-bashing in our conservative culture too.

I think reactionaries on both sides overplay it (other than the first few books-- and I've seen plenty of young guys get themselves into predicaments trying to show off-- I'm really hard-pressed to detect much misandry in the Berenstain Bears, or much real misogyny in Disney Princesses). But it is out there.

I don't mind media with an agenda. And whatever people do in adult media-- I might find it disgusting, but adults are adults and if they haven't developed the critical thinking skills to see thru it even if they can relate, that's their own damn fault. It does kind of tick me off when people use kids' media to grind an axe though (as opposed to making a point).

Darmok
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2016, 4:05 pm

It was interesting that this thread was just started, because here's a story in a recent New York Post that quantifies the increasingly negative portrayal of fathers in Disney films and shows over the past few decades:

http://nypost.com/2016/06/14/how-disney ... -for-dads/

"Every 3.24 minutes, a dad acts like a buffoon.

"That’s the conclusion of a small study done by a student at Brigham Young University after watching eight hours of the two most popular Disney “tween” shows featuring families. The results of the research — “Daddies or Dummies?” — are not particularly surprising.

"Are “Good Luck Charlie” and “Girl Meets World” any different from previous sitcoms like “Roseanne” or “Home Improvement”? A 2001 study by Erica Scharrer in the Journal of Broadcasting & Electronic Media found that the number of times a mother told a joke at the father’s expense increased from 1.80 times per episode in the 1950s to 4.29 times per episode in 1990."

There Are Four Lights!

BuyerBeware
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2016, 7:44 pm

I do absolutely believe that the media (and the society it reflects) is becoming progressively more disrespectful and crass.

Archie Bunker was revolutionary in his time. Today he's pretty tame and passé. M*A*S*H was scandalous in its day. It's family entertainment compared to China Beach, which in turn is family entertainment compared to some things on TV today. Married With Children was filth when I was a kid. OK, it's still filth, but there's plenty filthier without getting into the *ahem* adult channels.

I don't know that that represents misogyny and/or misandry, as such, so much as it represents a greatly decreased value for politeness and decorum (other than the whole false-respect PC crock).

I probably am not fit to comment on whether that's a good thing or a bad thing, as my personal lack of valuation for politeness and decorum is strung all over WP and for that matter the Internet at large.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jun 2016, 7:01 pm

Come again? I'm not sure what's being asked here.

maglevsky
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

26 Jun 2016, 1:26 am

Hi Jamesy

You're asking the wrong question in the wrong place.

Instead of asking why there is hate against fathers (i.e. assuming there is some "legitimate" reason for it), ask yourself how to deal with it. Are you a father? What kind of relationship do you have with your father? Is Parental Alienation happening somewhere around you? What can you do to protect yourself and your loved ones?

Read up & discuss these things in places where the problem is at least acknowledged and not actively denied as some in this thread have done.

You're still partly in denial yourself:

Quote:
Okay fair enough maybe a father is viewed as less important than the mother role

Fair enough? Seriously, what is "fair enough" about that? Pure sexism is all it is.

Have you heard of "gaslighting"? Make sure you know all about it and how to recognize it.
Good luck man.

gingerpickles
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2016, 10:11 am

@OP:
I think you have wrong statement for the issue you are bringing up. Very few people "HATE" either parent unless they were a dangerous trust breaking ahsshat.

Man bashing is a small sector of the gender of women... a vocal strident minority tho.

The court is not harsh against "fathers", it is harsh against the "loser"

The winner is the lawyer in all cases, btw.

Women are more likely than men to file first this past 50 years, it used to nearly a century be men leaving their wives for younger women or to avoid family obligation in days before child support laws.
Abuses of the laws are terrible but not as prevalent as those of us crying out over injustice would think ( I am a person that got short end. I simply had no atty at all and therefor was disenfranchised. I moved on. My kids know me, trust me and love me. It is enough.)
Family court is a branch of civil court, and it is not usually Constitutional in its rulings.
* When all else is equal; the one that files first is normally the winner.

**DV laws do favor women because the stats do have the majority of offenders as men. And equality feminist crap aside, we are still usually smaller and physically weaker in a physical altercation.These are abused. Ex Parte law is suspense of Due Process and should be abolished. It is creeping in to all manner of civil cases now.
(It was enacted to allow a abused spouse to not have to face the person they feared would intimidate them while starting the proceeding. But You are already more than equal when you have an atty filing anyway. Been some time since the two litigants were required in person ans not their proxies.)

In all honesty, I think today's women are equal enough to accuse in the open now while living at the violence shelter -_- (i've been there but didnt use that crap).

***the caregiver is the one that wins custody in 98% of cases. And even today, that is usually the female partner who has earned the lions share of that title (with exceptions of when it was a grandparent)

Once the divorce is done you really need to think of the kids.
Don't tolerate family interfering and get a civil neutral relation with your ex at least. Get trust for visitation to be well ordered and undramatic. Your kids will thank you or whichever parent is the "bigger man" They know who was playing it from under the table once they are teens.

And make no mistake, the agenda is to fracture the system of nuclear families in order to have our children raised by the government. If it suits them to bash women again , it will be done. The extreme way they see saw the politics instead of instilling blind justice that only knows the Constitution, not "feelings'; is a good indication that a solution is not what they seek with each "class nerf" but simply appeasing the louder voices.

randomeu
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2016, 4:26 pm

Jamesy wrote:
You might disagree with me on this but quite often why are kids taught to hate there dads? Okay fair enough maybe a father is viewed as less important than the mother role but seriously why is there an 'undeserved' hate against fathers in families?

I don't get it? :?

I don't know, i just don't like my Dad for some reason, he is way too clingy, hugs me too often and i don't like being touched, i just don't. he is also incredibly annoying making constant jokes at everyone's expense (including mine). he is way too pushy as well, like sometimes i skip meals because im simply not hungry, but whenever he is home he forces me to eat, like he will make me even if im not hungry saying i don't know when im hungry so i should and wont leave me alone about it till i do.

i dont know, i just generally can't like my dad, and im not sure why ive been sort of trained to do so, but i guess his hate is deserved really, as its justified in my mind

Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 174 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 30 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

Officially diagnosed 30th june 2017