Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

obsessingoverobsessions
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

22 Jun 2016, 2:35 pm

So I've recently learned about Schizoid PD and I seem to fit almost all, if not all of the symptoms. On the other hand, I seem to have most of the autistic traits too. It says that people with Schizoid PD don't have strong interests, whereas I have several very strong interests, which sounds more autistic, but I do have a really vivid fantasy world, which I've read is common in Schizoid PD...

My symptoms seem to fit into both, but I have some autistic traits that aren't in the Schizoid PD symptom list, and some traits that are in the Schizoid PD list that aren't autistic traits...

I really want to know the difference to make things a bit clearer.

My social skills are usually quite bad, but I can have days where I think I seem normal and I get very stressed out from talking to people or if too many demands are placed upon me. I tend to cope with stress (and I have a lot of stress) by retreating into my fantasy world or detaching myself from reality, and I easily go mute under stress too.

Sorry for rambling, I just want to get a clearer idea of what the difference is between both the disorders.

You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)

foxfield
Toucan
Toucan

22 Jun 2016, 3:26 pm

The key difference is that autism can cause a schizoid personality, but a schizoid personality cant cause autism.

Personality disorders usually have some root underlying cause, that can maybe be addressed with therapy. If you have schizoid/avoidant personality traits then this could be brought on because of difficulties due to an underlying autistic brain wiring. Or it could be caused by something else entirely, such as a difficult childhood.

Autism on the other hand is a neurological difference. Its not a defence mechanism and its not caused by psychological trauma (according to most people, anyway)

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

23 Jun 2016, 2:22 am

foxfield wrote:
The key difference is that autism can cause a schizoid personality, but a schizoid personality cant cause autism.
Schizoid Personality can NOT coexist with Autism so I don't think Autism can cause it.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

Rocket123
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2016, 2:52 pm

obsessingoverobsessions wrote:
So I've recently learned about Schizoid PD and I seem to fit almost all, if not all of the symptoms. On the other hand, I seem to have most of the autistic traits too.
I really want to know the difference to make things a bit clearer.

I wondered about this myself, before I was diagnosed with Asperger's a little over 3 years ago. At the time, I was not at all certain that I would be diagnosed with Asperger's. I kind of expected to be diagnosed with a combination of Schizoid PD, Obsessive Compulsive PD and Generalized Anxiety Disorder. There is a LOT of overlap between these conditions. I am amazed that someone can actually differentiate between these conditions.