"Smart at silly things but stupid at things that matter''

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2020, 8:09 am

I like this . It's about NVLD ,but I think also applicable to ASD.

Quote:
Maybe the most frustrating part is that the intelligent side of me is fully aware of the impaired side of me, but can do nothing to fix it, except talk a reasonably good game, I guess.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/gb/blog ... ght-person

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2020, 8:55 am

aja675 wrote:
"Smart at silly things but stupid at things that matter'' - Who else here has been told that?
I have.  Although it was easy to see that what the person considered "silly" involved computers, electronics, and science-fiction; and what the person thought that mattered was professional sports, drinking, and womanizing.

Most of the time, though, the same person would say, "For a smart person, you sure are stupid!"

Last I heard (pre-coronavirus), he was thrice-divorced and spending most of his time getting drunk while watching sports on TV, and complaining that people were playing too many computer games and watching too much Star Wars.

Sucks to be him, I guess.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2020, 10:25 am

Aniihya wrote:
Johnny, that is incorrect. IQ is a measure of processing abilities aka fluid intelligence, while acquired knowledge is crystallized intelligence. Aspies and HF Auties are on average actually of average processing ability, while tending to be below average in social intelligence and all over the place regarding EQ. Additionally I must point out your hypocrisy, admitting yourself to be of lower intelligence while acting like an expert. That is literally the definition of the Dunning-Kruger-Effect.

Why is that hypocritical?

Wreck It Ralph

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2020, 10:31 am

skibum wrote:
Aniihya wrote:
... I must point out your hypocrisy, admitting yourself to be of lower intelligence while acting like an expert. That is literally the definition of the Dunning-Kruger-Effect.
It isn't.

The Dunning-Kruger effect is a type of cognitive bias in which people believe that they are smarter and more capable than they really are.  Since you openly admit to being of lower intelligence, that belies any alleged belief on your part of possessing higher intelligence.  You don't have to be highly intelligent to quote intelligent sources -- there is no law that says you do.

Aniihya does not seem to know as much about Dunning-Kruger or hypocrisy as he would have us believe.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Last edited by Fnord on 06 May 2020, 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2020, 11:00 am

Fnord wrote:
skibum wrote:
Aniihya wrote:
... I must point out your hypocrisy, admitting yourself to be of lower intelligence while acting like an expert. That is literally the definition of the Dunning-Kruger-Effect.
It isn't.

The Dunning-Kruger effect is a type of cognitive bias in which people believe that they are smarter and more capable than they really are.  Since you openly admit to being of lower intelligence, that negates any alleged belief on your part of possessing higher intelligence.  You don't have to be highly intelligent to quote intelligent sources -- there is no law that says you do.

Aniihya does not seem to know as much about Dunning-Kruger or hypocrisy as he would have us believe.
Thank you for explaining. I was thinking along the same lines as you about Aniihya's comment about Dunning-Kruger. I actually find it kind of funny that Aniihya kind of illustrated Dunning-Kruger by implying that Jayro had Dunning -Kruger.

Wreck It Ralph

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2020, 11:01 am

skibum wrote:
Fnord wrote:
skibum wrote:
Aniihya wrote:
It isn't.

The Dunning-Kruger effect is a type of cognitive bias in which people believe that they are smarter and more capable than they really are.  Since you openly admit to being of lower intelligence, that negates any alleged belief on your part of possessing higher intelligence.  You don't have to be highly intelligent to quote intelligent sources -- there is no law that says you do.

Thank you for explaining. I was thinking along the same lines as you about Aniihya's comment about Dunning-Kruger. I actually find it kind of funny that Aniihya kind of illustrated Dunning-Kruger by implying that Jayro had Dunning-Kruger.
Thus also displaying some small measure of hypocrisy, himself!

:lol:

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2020, 11:03 am

I meant Johnny not Jayro. Site won't let me edit my post

Wreck It Ralph

skibum
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2020, 11:04 am

Fnord wrote:
skibum wrote:
Fnord wrote:
skibum wrote:
Aniihya wrote:
It isn't.

Thank you for explaining. I was thinking along the same lines as you about Aniihya's comment about Dunning-Kruger. I actually find it kind of funny that Aniihya kind of illustrated Dunning-Kruger by implying that Jayro had Dunning-Kruger.
Thus also displaying some small measure of hypocrisy, himself!

Wreck It Ralph

TimmyTurnerFan1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

13 Oct 2020, 6:03 pm

I've been given similar speeches, knowing more about silly things like trains, cartoons, and video games among other things but not knowing (or thinking or caring) about things like what we learn at school, people in Black History (Martin Luther King, Harriet Tubman, Malcom X, etc,) my Social Security number, my Grade Point Average, even spiritual things/things from the Bible (which I now care about but I won't talk religion!) I hated being talked to like that, it made me feel discouraged and guilty. Plus my stepfather insisted I watch the news and then tell him about it, which I either couldn't do or did try to do but couldn't give him satisfying answers, much to his frustration. I mean I could talk about trains, cartoons, video games, also tornadoes thanks to my parents having me watch the 1996 movie Twister, but couldn't/wouldn't talk about what I learned in school or place of worship. I cared little to nothing about those things. But I was reprimanded and discouraged so much and felt so much guilt, even worthless I had enough and tried to do better. I wanted my parents to be happier with me and I wanted the hurt to stop, although there were some things I still couldn't do or couldn't improve on. And I was sick of being downgraded because I knew more about things I was interested in but not what I should have known.

And sadly, there some answers I knew but was scared I'd be wrong so I wouldn't answer. I was once asked what was the longest river in the U.S. I knew it was the Mississippi River but I was scared I'd be wrong so I said nothing, making my parents think I didn't know. :( If I could go back and do that again!

And although I did want to be better, I was still interested in silly stuff and got distracted and didn't care as much about the more important stuff, only to suffer the same discouraging consequences! Thankfully I did get better.

My younger sister went through the some of the same things and she doesn't even have autism!

So I see what you're saying, at least i think and hope I do!

madbutnotmad
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2020, 6:17 pm

good at really cool things that boring people don't value
rubbish at really boring things that boring people do value

bad at worldly things
good at being cosmic outer worldly

we are in essence
other worldy

perhaps
simply
too cool
for the boring people
of this world

unfortunately
the boring people
do the "important" boring jobs
that make the complex unnecessary infrastructure of global capitalism system
and the supporting industries operate

that stop us all from being happy....

cosmic as we are
only we will even know
as the boring people
would never let
someone as cosmic as us
shine

TimmyTurnerFan1
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

14 Oct 2020, 12:25 am

madbutnotmad wrote:
good at really cool things that boring people don't value
rubbish at really boring things that boring people do value

bad at worldly things
good at being cosmic outer worldly

we are in essence
other worldy

perhaps
simply
too cool
for the boring people
of this world

unfortunately
the boring people
do the "important" boring jobs
that make the complex unnecessary infrastructure of global capitalism system
and the supporting industries operate

that stop us all from being happy....

cosmic as we are
only we will even know
as the boring people
would never let
someone as cosmic as us
shine

Nice one! I mean I did have trouble completely understanding this and got confused with which one was the "boring" people, us autistics or those that are not autistic?, but I think I can guess! I refer to non-autistic people as "normal people, "or at least I have!

But I agree, at least with some of that! It's a dogs life being an autistic person in a neurotypical-ruled world, or so the world seems that way! And the only world we can live and breath in!

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2020, 1:01 am

nobody cares what i'm good at, they only cuss me for not being good at what matters to them [sports, socializing, $spending$$$].