Toucan
Toucan

22 Jun 2016, 10:36 pm

Who else here has been told that?

johnnyh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jun 2016, 7:58 am

Myth: IQ scores and intelligence are the same thing.
Fact: No, they are not. “Intelligence” is a general mental ability representing the global capacity of the individual to act purposefully, to think rationally, and to deal effectively with the environment.[3] These are the areas that people with Asperger’s Syndrome, and high-functioning Autism or PDD-NOS are impaired.

-Johnnyh

Aniihya
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2016, 9:26 am

Johnny, that is incorrect. IQ is a measure of processing abilities aka fluid intelligence, while acquired knowledge is crystallized intelligence. Aspies and HF Auties are on average actually of average processing ability, while tending to be below average in social intelligence and all over the place regarding EQ. Additionally I must point out your hypocrisy, admitting yourself to be of lower intelligence while acting like an expert. That is literally the definition of the Dunning-Kruger-Effect.

Kiriae
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2016, 9:53 am

I am often told: "Use your intelligence somewhere else." or "You are smart enough to do/understand that, you just don't want to/pretend not to". I guess that's the same thing.

EmmaHyde
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jun 2016, 2:47 pm

I've been told by my family "Why do you make such stupid mistakes when you are so smart " or "Stop being lazy, you're too smart for that." Or "We taught you better how can you be dumb?"

-------
Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 175 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 59 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)
++++++

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2016, 4:16 pm

Long

I believe mistakes can be if great value.
What I learn and more importantly how I react( both externally and internally) is a great barometer of my well being.

Doing "better" in this area had led to less meltdowns in frequency and size.

I am amazed at what was once silly has become part of my Dr. Laugh programs.
These programs have been used for the fun of it as well as presentations for Department of Corrections, Mental Health, Alcoholic and Addiction Foundations and Spirituality retreats.

"If we can't laugh at ourselves, others will beat us to it."
At 20 I took a year off my work with people to intern a few years under a master puppeteer.
43 years later that time still pays dividends.

This writer was told by several clients that they couldn't tell when I was serious. I've learned to balance the silly.
I hope to add a Puzzle tie to my serious to silly tie collection. (Including the bright yellow Sponge Bob tie. Yes it is square on the bottom.

aja675
Toucan
Toucan

04 Jul 2016, 8:31 pm

People used to tell me this because I pretended to be stupid in front of them.

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2016, 8:38 pm

My wife used to ask me the same thing. It was when I couldn't understand something very "simple". I think it's a God's way of keeping this level one college educated guy.

AnaHitori
Veteran
Veteran

04 Jul 2016, 8:40 pm

Yeah, my mom will say things like, "You're so smart; I don't understand why you think this is so difficult..."

aja675
Toucan
Toucan

04 Jul 2016, 8:43 pm

aja675 wrote:
People used to tell me this because I pretended to be stupid in front of them.

Because I spent my teens on useless things, I'm now afraid of not being intellectual enough.

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2016, 7:00 am

During a lunch I made a comment about my 94 year old father in law. He and my wife genuinely laughed.

I then said
It's not just Autism
It's new material. (Or was it It's material!)

My wife then said, you should use that.
Later that day I had a chance and she was right. It could be worked into a routine. As all my material it has to fit the venue and the time in my program.

Silly and Sewiously yours
me...

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2020, 1:30 am

i know digital audio restoration but keep losing $#!+ all over the phuqing place.

huimaa
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 May 2020, 2:44 am

Yeah I can easily absorb new information and understand vast amounts of complicated topics, actually enjoy it but sometimes planning my days and household chores are very difficult to execute.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2020, 5:55 am

Able to join high IQ societies , but without the support I get I would struggle to maintain a healthy level of independence . Indeed at my last address I was getting almost no support(stepdaughter did what she could when she visited every 6 months or so) and on hindsight was self neglecting . I wasn't acutely mentally ill , and thus not seen as a priority .

CarlM
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2020, 6:30 am

I've certainly always seen myself this way. But, rarely has it so obvious that someone points it out to me. I think it's important to understand your strengths and weaknesses. This is a great place to get advice on what to do with that self awareness.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

06 May 2020, 8:07 am

Nobody told me that thus far

However it is correct