Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Angnix
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2016, 4:34 pm

Stress unravels me to the point where I am on the edge... so i talk to mental health and I actually get "don't you still have bird guides?" from someone I haven't talked to before. It's in the computer system I like birds to an extreme amount. So I got her into a convo and bored her. Aspie or no aspie, the presence of a special intrest doesn't mean that person can't get depressed! She said I was okay, do my bird stuff... what I really need is either a life circumstance or med change...

Avatar: A Shiny from the new Pokemon Pearl remake, Shiny Chatot... I named him TaterTot...

FINALLY diagnosed with ASD 2/6/2020

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2016, 7:28 pm

It's really easy for people to just tell us "do your special interest, you'll feel better" without concern for whether we even have a special interest (I don't... there are others who don't) or whether there is a deeper problem that does actually need to be addressed, as in your case.

You need to let her know in no uncertain terms that you have problems and they need to be handled, not avoided by sinking into a special interest. If she's bored, that's too bad; it's her job to help you with this.

Dennis Prichard
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Jun 2016, 7:54 pm

Conversation is about levels of interest, if you can't say things that stimulate another person's interest true communication can't be realized.

Now this might seem like common sense what I just said, however there is no theory of language that deals with this "common sense".