'What is the EU?' Tops UK google search.

Page 1 of 2 [ 30 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

0regonGuy
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2016, 5:01 am

alex wrote:
Drake wrote:
It doesn't mean voters did that. Especially if it was after it was done. Could be people who didn't vote and youngsters making up most of the numbers.

Actually most young people voted to remain.

I heard one guy from the UK, say that this proves there needs to be a maximum age of 50 to vote. Because after that you are no longer voting on things that will affect you, but rather things that will affect future generations. Not a bad idea really.

0regonGuy
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2016, 5:11 am

GoonSquad wrote:
pezar wrote:
The banksters and their globalist/NWO friends seem to be really really spooked by Brexit. They seem to be pulling out all the stops to "punish" the UK, including fomenting/creating internal divisions and pitting Brits against each other. I wonder if Trump wins in November and decides to flip the bird to the banksters what they will try to pull. Their media outlets have been constantly pushing the idea that the world is ending, while warning Americans not to vote for Trump.

So, this is how you will rationalize if Trump wins and wrecks everything.

God, I simply cannot believe some people's capacity for self deception.

Trump is wreckess and stupid. If he gets elected, it will be its own punishment.

I really wish all you Trump people could move to Texas and secede. Put Trump in charge and have at it. At least then, innocent people woudn't get hurt.

As it is, we'll all get what you guys deserve when it goes to hell.

The "Me" generation has already destroyed the middle class, waged war on the poor, minorities, and the mentally ill. It's no surprise they want to f**k everybody one last time before they die. Thats the way they have lived their entire self-centered lives. They aren't going to change now.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2016, 5:20 am

mikeman7918 wrote:
Ban-Dodger wrote:
Did the U.N. suddenly disappear or become the E.U. or something ? Another... ahem... Mandela-Effect ?

What are you talking about? The UN is still what it has always been: a world-wide international organization which tries to resolve international disputes without war. It hasn't gone anywhere, and although the EU is a part of the UN they are and always have been very different things.

United Nations (UN)

European Union (EU)

Yes. The UN is global, the EU, is just one continent. They coexist at the same time. And always have. The UN formed shortly after WWII, and the precursor of the EU , the Common Market, also formed on the heels of WWII. The common market became the EEC, which finally became the EU, over the same several decades that the UN also existed. No need to cue up the Twilight Zone music.

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2016, 9:06 am

I know a lot of people don't remember the world before it was globalized and wired, but haven't people read about it? Or read about Bretton Woods?

Or just imagine that 10 of us are travelling along together on various terrain. We're roped together. Now this can have some obvious advantages. No one will wander off and we can all go along at the same speed. Slow people are forced to go a little faster and faster people have to slow down, all for the good of the group. If one person sees resources, the whole group benefits.

But what if someone falls down? Or stops walking? What if a lion starts chasing us? What if a member sabotages the group?

This is what globalization does. It's an eggs-in-one-basket situation.

gingerpickles
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2016, 10:09 am

mikeman7918 wrote:
Ban-Dodger wrote:
Did the U.N. suddenly disappear or become the E.U. or something ? Another... ahem... Mandela-Effect ?

What are you talking about? The UN is still what it has always been: a world-wide international organization which tries to resolve international disputes without war. It hasn't gone anywhere, and although the EU is a part of the UN they are and always have been very different things.

United Nations (UN)

European Union (EU)

-_- Even I can see he is being cheeky about content of the article making it seem like the EU is all there is keeping war at bay, preventing the mass panic and chaos of anarchy and dogs and cats living together

hence the
Quote:
Another... ahem... Mandela-Effect ?

I know it took until well over 30 to catch and appreciate dry humor , but I still can catch it (not a fan of sarcasm usually since it can get mean). Come on.
@Ban Dodger... your posts need more emojis for clarification :roll:

gingerpickles
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2016, 10:27 am

0regonGuy wrote:
alex wrote:
Drake wrote:
It doesn't mean voters did that. Especially if it was after it was done. Could be people who didn't vote and youngsters making up most of the numbers.

I heard one guy from the UK, say that this proves there needs to be a maximum age of 50 to vote. Because after that you are no longer voting on things that will affect you, but rather things that will affect future generations. Not a bad idea really.

A better solution.... no voting til 30. Education without experience is like a self taught deaf violinist.

Looking back, you realize that everything would have explained itself if you had only stopped interrupting. ~Robert Brault, rbrault.blogspot.com

If you want to understand democracy, spend less time in the library with Plato, and more time in the buses with people. ~Simeon Strunsky

Mark Twain had a point...

TomS
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jun 2016, 10:35 am

I think the EU makes sense functionally, but always thought the great differences in the member countries would make success unlikely.

The UK never seemed to be 'all in' to begin with. So exit doesn't surprise me after sufficient crisis's within the union.

I have no doubt they will be fine after a period of readjustment.

The fate of the EU is another matter. I have no idea what will happen.

Someone mentioned the UN. It seems to me a increasingly irrelevant body politically. I think the USA's unilateral actions and disregarding of UN back in 2001-2003 seriously weakened it.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2016, 12:52 pm

gingerpickles wrote:
mikeman7918 wrote:
Ban-Dodger wrote:

United Nations (UN)

European Union (EU)

-_- Even I can see he is being cheeky about content of the article making it seem like the EU is all there is keeping war at bay, preventing the mass panic and chaos of anarchy and dogs and cats living together

hence the
Quote:
Another... ahem... Mandela-Effect ?

I know it took until well over 30 to catch and appreciate dry humor , but I still can catch it (not a fan of sarcasm usually since it can get mean). Come on.
@Ban Dodger... your posts need more emojis for clarification :roll:

Ahem...

1) Ban Dodger has a history of making dead serious posts about how the earth is really flat, as well as about his serious concern about the Mandela effect (which is that we switched to a different parallel universe once Cern was up and running, or something). So its not likely that he was making some kind of convoluted dig at the UN.you're reading reams of words into what he said that are not there.

2) IF...I repeat..IF...Ban Dodger was being facetious then his post would have made even LESS sense. If the rest of use failed to get his alledged joke then the fault is his for failing to deliver the joke, not with us for not getting it.

TomS
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jun 2016, 1:04 pm

Speaking of the Mandela Effect and CERN...

There was a Indie zombie film made by the engineers who work in CERN. They got permission to use the facillity and financed all themselves. Not too bad really (for a Indie) but the engineers also were the cast and thats not a natural segue.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2016, 1:13 pm

TomS wrote:

There was a Indie zombie film made by the engineers who work in CERN. They got permission to use the facillity and financed all themselves. Not too bad really (for a Indie) but the engineers also were the cast and thats not a natural segue.

Interesting. Was this film in English?

Did the zombies take over Cern?

TomS
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jun 2016, 2:37 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
TomS wrote:

Interesting. Was this film in English?

Did the zombies take over Cern?

Yes, in English. English actors predominated I think. (The rest of the world is not quite as Zombie crazy as US/UK).

In a way. CERN effects actually cause the outbreak and the main location of events is the labyrinthine tunnels that go on for miles. The makers said it was the tunnels that gave them the idea. They also use a control station for part. If you can accept the Indie level production/acting its worth seeing I think.

Its called 'Decay' and is on Youtube free.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2016, 8:24 am

gingerpickles wrote:
0regonGuy wrote:
alex wrote:
Drake wrote:

A better solution.... no voting til 30. Education without experience is like a self taught deaf violinist.

Looking back, you realize that everything would have explained itself if you had only stopped interrupting. ~Robert Brault, rbrault.blogspot.com

If you want to understand democracy, spend less time in the library with Plato, and more time in the buses with people. ~Simeon Strunsky

The quality of ANY form of government depends on the people running it.

A democracy run by fools is doomed... and age alone does not impart wisdom.

I'll say it again. Brexiters, like Trump supporters, seem to make decisions based on emotion rather than facts. That`s not good no matter how old you are.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2016, 8:50 am

SocOfAutism wrote:
I know a lot of people don't remember the world before it was globalized and wired, but haven't people read about it? Or read about Bretton Woods?

Or just imagine that 10 of us are travelling along together on various terrain. We're roped together. Now this can have some obvious advantages. No one will wander off and we can all go along at the same speed. Slow people are forced to go a little faster and faster people have to slow down, all for the good of the group. If one person sees resources, the whole group benefits.

But what if someone falls down? Or stops walking? What if a lion starts chasing us? What if a member sabotages the group?

This is what globalization does. It's an eggs-in-one-basket situation.

Here's the thing. Free markets always have and always will be as global as they can.

In 66 BC Cicero argued:
Quote:
it is not possible for many men to lose their property and fortunes in one city, without drawing many along with them into the same vortex of disaster. But do you now preserve the republic from this misfortune; and believe me, (you yourselves see that it is the case,) this credit, and this state of the money-market which exists at Rome and in the forum, is bound up with, and is inseparable from, those fortunes which are invested in Asia. Those fortunes cannot fall without credit here being undermined by the came blow, and perishing along with them. Consider, then, whether you ought to hesitate to apply yourselves with all zeal to that war, in which the glory of your name, the safety of your allies, your greatest revenues, and the fortunes of numbers of your citizens, will be protected at the same time as the republic.

https://en.m.wikisource.org/wiki/To_the ... _command#7

Western civilization has been globalizing for the last 2000 years. You cannot be part of the world, be a power in the world, without being part of the world.

The last great power to retreat into isolation was China in the 15 century. That didn't work out too well for them.

BaalChatzaf
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2016, 4:50 pm

GoonSquad wrote:
gingerpickles wrote:
0regonGuy wrote:
alex wrote:
Drake wrote:

The quality of ANY form of government depends on the people running it.

A democracy run by fools is doomed... and age alone does not impart wisdom.

I'll say it again. Brexiters, like Trump supporters, seem to make decisions based on emotion rather than facts. That`s not good no matter how old you are.

It seems the people who made the American revolution were also motivated by emotion. Reason would proclaim that making war against the worlds most powerful nation was not a good career move. In any case the pro-Independence people of the colonies never numbered more than 1/3 of the population.

GoonSquad
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2016, 6:37 pm

BaalChatzaf wrote:

It seems the people who made the American revolution were also motivated by emotion. Reason would proclaim that making war against the worlds most powerful nation was not a good career move. In any case the pro-Independence people of the colonies never numbered more than 1/3 of the population.

No.

The American revolution was driven by a bunch of highly educated, wealthy merchants and planters who had the luxury of sitting around discussing philosophy in the evening.

They already had economic power and they wanted political power.

If you want a revolution driven by angry poor people, look at the one in France.