People not believing you when you are telling the truth

Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

XenoMind
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2016, 1:14 am

Once when I was a child I fell down and hit my arm badly. It hurt a lot and I went to complain to a class teacher and a school doctor, but nobody believed me that it's something serious, and they told me to stop making things up. My parents did the same later. It took several days of whining before I was brought to a trauma center and doctors found out that my arm was broken.
Do things like this happen to you often?

edited: my arm, not a hand

Last edited by XenoMind on 25 Jun 2016, 2:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

slw1990
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2016, 1:28 am

That sounds awful. I don't usually have a problem with people thinking that I'm lying, but people don't always take me seriously or listen to me.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2016, 9:20 am

Is this a one time thing or do people think you're lying often?

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2016, 9:29 am

I always got accused of rudeness as a kid. Sometimes I didn't understand why. More rarely, I just didn't care. Most of the time, I didn't know how to control my outbursts and annoyed tone of voice. That was a tough one for the teachers, and no one helped me to control it beyond the basics, "Take a deep breath" and "Think before you speak." I actually tried following this advice literally, but the long pauses were too much, LOL. I don't know for sure, but I felt like no one believed any of this.

XenoMind
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2016, 9:40 am

SilverProteus wrote:
Is this a one time thing or do people think you're lying often?

It happens quite often that people don't believe nothing I tell. That's quite ironic as I never lie unintentionally and very rarely intentionally. It's even more ironic that people usually believe me when I do lie.

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2016, 9:45 am

Wow, you must feel terribly misunderstood. I can only imagine what this does to someone chronically. Do you have any idea why they misunderstand all the time, or is this a total mystery?

the_phoenix
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2016, 10:10 am

People often don't want to hear or believe the truth.

"No one is more hated than he who speaks the truth."
~~ Plato

GGPViper
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2016, 4:33 pm

It may be due to flat/blunted affect - something which is fairly common for those on the Autistic spectrum.

If there is a disconnect between your facial expressions/body language and the message you are trying to present, then people may have a hard time distinguishing between honesty and dishonesty.

This is why I prefer to keep communication in writing.

AnaHitori
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2016, 5:42 pm

Yeah, my mom always thinks I'm lying when I'm not.

lidsmichelle
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2016, 9:24 pm

I get accused of lying all the time and it upsets me so much because I rarely lie and I hate being accused of things I didn't do. I'll get to the point of tears sometimes when I'm trying to convince someone I'm not lying because I'm so frustrated.

Herein You Will Find Various And Numerous And Innumerable Hexes, Curses, Words In The Old Tongue To Cleave A’Twain Friend, Foe, Family Alike. If You So Choose. Money Hates Me, God Hates Me, My Wife Hates Me, My Own Hands Hate Me. But Thats All Beside The Point. The Point Is That My Time Here On Earth Runs Short. Im Not Dying But You All Are. Im A Glass Of Wine. Nothing Beats A Glass Of Wine. When The Kids Arent Home And Your A Mother Theres A Glass Of Wine There. A Glass Coffee Table And I’m A Glass Of Wine. Stressful Day When The Kids And you're Husband Then Glass Of Wine. Dark Chocolate Indulge. Petty Indulgences. When you're A Glass Of Wine And Let The Body’s Hit The Floor. When Your Glass Of Wine Is Running Short And You Say Heck What Of It. Why Dont I Have Another. Bartender I Am A Glass Of Wine. Bottoms Up And The Devil Laughs. The Bartender Remembers When It Happened. They All Remember When It Happened And If They Knew That You Dont Remember Then They Would Know That Something Is Awry Here Or So They Would Think. Something Would Be Amiss Or Smells Fishy. So Theyre All Relating There Stories Of Where They Were When That Event Happened And The Eyes Move Clockwise About The Room Where We All Share Our Glass Of Wine And Suddenly The Clock Ticks To You And They Ask The Fatal Question That Destroys Your Reputation, The Question You Could Never Answer, The Dead Giveaway: Where Were You When The Bodies Hit The Floor

XenoMind
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2016, 10:15 pm

DataB4 wrote:
Wow, you must feel terribly misunderstood.

Hell yes.

DataB4 wrote:
Do you have any idea why they misunderstand all the time, or is this a total mystery?

I think that GGPViper got a point.

sunspie
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Jun 2016, 10:31 pm

this really bothers me, mostly because i feel as if my friends don't trust me, and i'm more their friend than they are mine.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

25 Jun 2016, 11:37 pm

I was accused of lying by my teachers because I was thought to be a troublemaker because of my Aspie quirks & being bullied alot & the bullies ganged together & accused me of starting it. One time my dad had a meeting with my principle because a boy claimed I grabbed his penis in a fight(I may have accidentally but I believed at the time that I did not). I tried to explain my side & my dad asked if there were any witnesses & the principle said she didn't think he would lie. I was claiming something different at the time so my crappy principle was basically accusing me of lying due to believing him.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jul 2016, 4:20 pm

GGPViper wrote:
It may be due to flat/blunted affect - something which is fairly common for those on the Autistic spectrum.

If there is a disconnect between your facial expressions/body language and the message you are trying to present, then people may have a hard time distinguishing between honesty and dishonesty.

This is why I prefer to keep communication in writing.

The fact that those on the spectrum usually don't like to maintain eye contact also doesn't help. It makes them look rather shifty to an NT.

XenoMind
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2016, 5:38 am

SilverProteus wrote:
The fact that those on the spectrum usually don't like to maintain eye contact also doesn't help. It makes them look rather shifty to an NT.

The irony is that the real liers never look shifty.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2016, 5:53 am

XenoMind wrote:
SilverProteus wrote:

The irony is that the real liers never look shifty.

Good liars don't. ;) But most people are not good liars, and often give out signs that they aren't telling the truth.