Page 1 of 2 [ 31 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

klausnrooster
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Nov 2016, 8:33 pm

Nothing as fancy as previous posters. A set of functions for the command line that take input and write or retrieve data from a SQLite database. Originally to practice implementing tagging, the use of db triggers, and wrapping SQLite functionality generally; it became my go-to note-taking app. I've been using it for years as my reliable memory and journal. Implemented in TCL, then Python (2.7 and later tweaked for 3.5), and REBOL. On Linux it changes font colors for better readability. Works on Windows but no font color manipulation. I carry it all around on a USB stick everywhere I go.

Ganondox
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2016, 8:57 pm

I did a thing.

Through other people's eyes

Autism FAQs http://www.wrongplanet.net/postt186115.html

saxgeek
Veteran
Veteran

19 Dec 2016, 3:57 pm

I've ported my Minecraft clone to the Wii and Gamecube. Console homebrew is just so awesome!

Source code can be found on GitHub: https://github.com/camthesaxman/cubecraft

saxgeek
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2017, 6:35 pm

I just made another update with a fancier title screen and the ability to save.

madscientist132
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

01 Jan 2017, 10:39 pm

I'm actually working on mine. it is called Wakame Board, and it is actually a single board computer pretty like Raspie 3.14, Beagle Board, etc. i wish i could add a video of it, but still at this point and despite my best efforts, it is yet nothing more than an Altium Workspace awaiting to be built for the very first time ever. I had write a post about it asking if someone else could see my development as i'm aiming towards keeping it under gnu lgpl so it can get better with time as gnu/linux does thanks to public collaboration.

I am not trying to start a new computer enterprise in a garage with it, but rather, to have a working pcb diagram that can be built and used wherver could be necessary. I am from latin america and i can safely tell you that my part of the world needs massive hardware and software developments.

If you wish to learn about Wakame, please look here:

https://www.openhardware.io/user/475
https://github.com/temporaryuser132/wakameboard
sites.google.com/site/wakameboard - yet under development

Should someone have interest on taking part of this project, it seems to require Altium Designer 2009 as that was what the computer where i work on it has. It may feel like ready to build and probe, but altium itself claims around 65 details to solve.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2017, 3:21 pm

My first computer was a palmtop on a docking base. It had microcassette storage, a paper tape printer with 24 columns, like the 1-line display, and 2k memory after a $100 upgrade. It only ran a quirky but compact version of BASIC, so I had to learn programming. I'd gotten it because my programmable calculator was too slow.
The first program I wrote includes a wonderfully compact mass of code I copied for triangle calculations, but is mostly concerned with structural analysis. It is limited to round shapes or beams that can be described as rectangles in cross section, including Z channel on skin, but is very quick on both original input and test variations. From the material stiffness and volume it extrapolates the weight, as well as giving the strength and deflections under common loading conditions. It did all the calculations for a pioneer in vehicle suspension through chassis flex. http://www.compositesworld.com/columns/ ... le-history

The other program I still miss greatly is a quick, multi-register timekeeping program that used to tell me where the days went. I'd really like to find modern replacements for both, or maybe re-write them on a spreadsheet. Any suggestions?

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

26 Mar 2017, 3:42 am

I made a little forensic toy to detect and store files created by their sha256 hash to detect files created, like scripts, malware and such, i also have a way to store these files in a hidden forensic container. Right now it's only a proof of concept, but i have ideas for it if anyone should want such a feature.

Another thing i have been working on is to integrate interactive visualizations in .NET so you can use visualizations made in D3, Vis JS or whatever to interact and do selections from a dataset, then pass that parameter to .NET and do a query against a DB, then if you want to, update the visualization.

I needed something like this to make data exploration much simpler for analysts when doing threathunting for cyber security. The important part is the textbox at the top of the window in the video showing events from user interaction, not the visualizations.

And finally, i made a piece of .NET code that detected clicks and interaction in standalone web browsers so you can use visualizations that just wont run in the .NET environment in the same way as above, except you cannot send data back and update them interactively.

AdamWhite
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Jun 2017, 12:53 pm

I still remember that back then when I was in highschool, I took a c programming course and joined a club. We had a project about calculating the probability of winning in a Lotto. We would prompt the users about the total number of choices and how many numbers they would choose. Then the program will calculate for the probability automatically. That was extremely fun. And not long ago, I was working on a game called "SIMON". Basically, it's a program that flashes different color of lights to test the short term memory of the player.

Muziek
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

29 Jun 2017, 11:33 pm

I have coded/programmed only one big finished project. It was a music sequencer. It was programmed in the fundamental computer language, giving instructions directly to the cpu and hardware devices for most things. It had four 8 bit audio channels. The GUI looked very much like todays MIDI-editors. It had a recording feature, that allowed you to record very short samples, eg a kick-drum or a snare etc. At least equally important, I remember a elementary "wave form editor" too. I almost sold it to a software publisher, but unfortunately I hadn't coded my music program flexible enough to incorporate some small additions the publisher wanted.

As a musical term for sure, "the '80s" imply the late '70s and early '90s. You can think of them as tapers of this golden decade.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2017, 11:48 pm

Gosh, I just realized I was coding back in '74. I got an order for a "computer" for a kid's TV show that was just a box with flashing lights, run by a small gearmotor driving a gang of rotary switches. They expected random flashing, but I made the machine play tick-tack-toe with itself.

AngryAngryAngry
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

01 Jul 2017, 11:46 pm

Ichinin wrote:
* In 2006 while i was working as a teacher, i showed decompilers to my students and while i was doing that i wrote a tiny program to show that you could subvert or crash the decompiler just to screw with the reverse engineer :)

That is awesome, can you give any indications how this works?
Is it something that just prevents the compiler from opening or translating the code properly??

Butterfly88
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2017, 11:46 am

I can code basic web pages. I've made some nice ones. I like using photos as links.

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2017, 12:12 pm

Ichinin wrote:
Show and tell!
* In 2006 while i was working as a teacher, i showed decompilers to my students and while i was doing that i wrote a tiny program to show that you could subvert or crash the decompiler just to screw with the reverse engineer :)

Neither mine, nor a program, but the funniest school hack I ever heard of was by a student who needed a piece of paper from a crappy business school to get a new job. She actually knew far more than the teacher, who was really struggling, so things got really boring. Then, one day, during break, she swapped keyboard plugs with the computer across the table from her. Of course, the student returning to that unit complained to the instructor right away, and the two of them were increasingly puzzled by the "slow response" and random errors. They became alarmed when their screen began to complain about how hard they were hitting the keys, and kept trying to soothe it until the suppressed mirth across from them finally blew a seal after about five minutes.

fakkau89
Raven
Raven

02 Jul 2017, 9:14 pm

saxgeek wrote:
Right now, I'm working on a project to decompile and reverse engineer Pokemon Ruby and Sapphire. http://github.com/pret/pokeruby Since the Nintendo SDK has been leaked, we know which version of GCC was used to compile the game, so we are able to write C code that compiles exactly the same as the original rom. It's very interesting.

how can i use github, I have the github desktop app but I have no idea how to use it, or the site for that matter.

Aaron Rhodes
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

04 Jul 2017, 9:51 pm

I'm currently using visual studio for coding, and I've been using a basic 2D graphics extension to add some visual to the programs that I write. The extension is called graphics magician, and I found out that a former professor at my college was the one that developed it. I used what I learned through my mathematics courses to code a program that can generate 3 dimensional objects, and I'm currently trying to incorporate perspective into the generated images. I added the ability to rotate the images and I've added a zooming function.

I've also put a lot of time into making a program that generates Mandelbrot and Julia sets, and I'm making very little progress on finding a way to generate them much faster. My favorite part of programming is that you can take very simple code to generate very complex fractals. What I'm really interested in is finding more practical ways of incorporating fractal generation into programs.

I have a lot of works in progress, such as a snake game and a rubik's cube, but most of the others are just experimental and serve more as a challenge or as a way to test my curiosity. I've barely scratched the surface of what programming has to offer, but the best part is that it gives me a way to actually use what I've learned over the years in a more practical way.

Ichinin
Veteran
Veteran

05 Aug 2017, 7:54 am

AngryAngryAngry wrote:
Ichinin wrote:

That is awesome, can you give any indications how this works?
Is it something that just prevents the compiler from opening or translating the code properly??

Well, you can do this in a few ways.

* Check the process list names for "dbg"
* Check the parent process PID and enumerate if it is ollydbg or idapro
* Check IsDebuggerPresent API call, it probably wont help much nowadays.

Then when you find the PID, open process, enumerate threads and use suspend on them. Of fill the proc memory with junk that makes it crash. Or more fun - Createremotethread() and inject some fun shellcode :D

EDIT: This only works when someone initially starts a PE executable to see what it is doing, if someone is slowly stepping each instruction, they will see it.