Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2016, 10:35 am

Hi:
I recently had been invited to a party and I decided to turn it down because I am learning to understand my limits when I am under stress. Sometimes I have outbursts which I am learning to control. I said yesterday in the online invitation on Facebook that "I will sit this one out." The person celebrating their birthday felt that it was mean to say it that.

Was I in the wrong?

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2016, 10:42 am

You are not in the wrong.

However, saying that you will "sit this one out" may imply to the person making the invitation that you are not interested in attending their party, but you might be interested in attending someone else's. The the person will likely infer that you gave an intentional insult, and he or she may never invite you anywhere, ever again.

(Over the years, I've learned to think like an NT. This is just one example of that way of thinking.)

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2016, 10:46 am

It's not what you said it's the way that you said it.

"Thank you for the invite, but I can't make it. Have a nice time." would have been more appropriate. It tells the truth, that you are not going, but also shows you have no ill will toward the person.

I'll sit this one out is very dismissive.

DataB4
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2016, 10:52 am

Perhaps since you've already said what you said, you could tell the birthday person the truth about parties in general, the way you told us. If you try to minimize it, they may say, "Lots of people have that problem."

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2016, 11:50 am

We did talk it out and I mentioned that I had been having a lot of stress and didn't feel like losing my cool and I think they understood that.

SilverProteus
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2016, 5:00 pm

hurtloam wrote:
It's not what you said it's the way that you said it.

"Thank you for the invite, but I can't make it. Have a nice time." would have been more appropriate. It tells the truth, that you are not going, but also shows you have no ill will toward the person.

I'll sit this one out is very dismissive.

This.

hurtloam
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2016, 5:01 pm

Summer_Twilight wrote:
We did talk it out and I mentioned that I had been having a lot of stress and didn't feel like losing my cool and I think they understood that.

That's great. I'm glad things worked out in the end :)

lidsmichelle
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2016, 5:24 pm

I can't say much since I myself am super sensitive to phrasing and tend to think the worst - but yeah phrasing can change perception of what you're saying, regardless of how you meant it.

I usually just apologize, explain why I can't be there, and tell them I hope they have fun. Usually works for me. The apology is especially important if you're backing out of a social obligation that you agreed to at another point.

Sometimes I'm really fascinated by how phrasing and even how you speak can convey entirely different meanings to people, whether it was your intention or not.

Herein You Will Find Various And Numerous And Innumerable Hexes, Curses, Words In The Old Tongue To Cleave A’Twain Friend, Foe, Family Alike. If You So Choose. Money Hates Me, God Hates Me, My Wife Hates Me, My Own Hands Hate Me. But Thats All Beside The Point. The Point Is That My Time Here On Earth Runs Short. Im Not Dying But You All Are. Im A Glass Of Wine. Nothing Beats A Glass Of Wine. When The Kids Arent Home And Your A Mother Theres A Glass Of Wine There. A Glass Coffee Table And I’m A Glass Of Wine. Stressful Day When The Kids And you're Husband Then Glass Of Wine. Dark Chocolate Indulge. Petty Indulgences. When you're A Glass Of Wine And Let The Body’s Hit The Floor. When Your Glass Of Wine Is Running Short And You Say Heck What Of It. Why Dont I Have Another. Bartender I Am A Glass Of Wine. Bottoms Up And The Devil Laughs. The Bartender Remembers When It Happened. They All Remember When It Happened And If They Knew That You Dont Remember Then They Would Know That Something Is Awry Here Or So They Would Think. Something Would Be Amiss Or Smells Fishy. So Theyre All Relating There Stories Of Where They Were When That Event Happened And The Eyes Move Clockwise About The Room Where We All Share Our Glass Of Wine And Suddenly The Clock Ticks To You And They Ask The Fatal Question That Destroys Your Reputation, The Question You Could Never Answer, The Dead Giveaway: Where Were You When The Bodies Hit The Floor

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2016, 8:02 pm

I sent them a text message and mentioned the reasons before saying " I will sit this one out."

animalcrackers
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2016, 11:14 pm

Fnord wrote:
However, saying that you will "sit this one out" may imply to the person making the invitation that you are not interested in attending their party, but you might be interested in attending someone else's. The the person will likely infer that you gave an intentional insult, and he or she may never invite you anywhere, ever again.

This never would have occured to me -- it's good to know. (It's also kind of depressing....so much can be read into what seem like totally harmless words.)

Love transcends all.