Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

JanusOne
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jun 2016, 5:49 pm

greetings all,

i once read something that has and continues to help me personally about forgiveness.

to forgive is to set a prisoner free, and then realize that the prisoner was you.

in my case and my life, i realize that my mind wanted to keep the pain and hurt current and wanted to identify with it. once i started forgiving myself for the attachment to others and their wrongs, emotions, etc... i was able to start forgiving and was set free!

with peace,

JanusOne :D

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2016, 8:25 pm

Good words shared.

Thanks all who can share their experience.

One or two or more can argue opinions. Ones experienced is also personal but real. Experiences shared are appreciated.

When my mom died I was angry even at God.
Also the tobacco companies, my mom and me remembering purchasing them for her when I was younger.

Forgiveness has been one of the keys to my growth.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2016, 2:36 am

Forgiveness - sure, absolutely. Forgetting - absolutely not.
I've seen the bitterness that results from holding onto every single thing ever done wrong to you in life, and it's not pretty. Like that quote - "holding on to anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die."
And it can be like a poison, that bitterness. I know someone who is still constantly repeating the "slight" when someone let their child play in the driveway. This was four years ago. Instead of just simply letting it go as something that happened once that annoyed you, and moving on.
On the forgetting though - that would be neglecting to take heed of the lesson you learned, and open yourself up for it to happen all over again. I have relatives like this. I forgive them what they've done, but I always make sure I have an "out" when with them because I know they're capable of abuse, and thus, I keep myself safe.