Page 1 of 3 [ 43 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

B19
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jun 2016, 8:36 pm

I can't remember a thread during my time here addressing the issues of AS people who are teaching academics. In fact I can't think of a single media article, speech, film, program, seminar or conference which has addressed the topic. Another first for Wrong Planet? This invisibility is a bad thing for everyone on the spectrum, academic or not. Why is there such a silence about ability and such screaming about disability and inability? (I know why, I do understand political agendas, it's a rhetorical question only).

The Third Glance is the only blog I have discovered that discusses the topic from the perspective of an academic insider.

The piece on why the writer there chose not to disclose was particularly poignant to me.

https://thethirdglance.wordpress.com/category/academia/

EmmaHyde
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

26 Jun 2016, 9:08 pm

This is an important subject to talk about as I am planning to go into the teaching field myself. I often get complimented on my work as an Instructional Assistant and how I do an amazing job/ have helped the students I work with so much. I do a lot of research in order to help the students I work with. I feel passionate about teaching the next generation about English/ I want to help future writers discover their potential.

I think, at least in the academic field, when one hears the word Autism, it conjures up (and for the longest time, it did in my mind as well) images of non verbal children having metal downs and needing intense one-on-one instruction to even form a basic sentence or to go to even write their names. And because of how the media is, there has been little to change that. So the idea of HFA/ Aspies is still something that the academic workplace has yet to embrace or even talk about, much less openly embraced.

-------
Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 175 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 59 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)
++++++

jbw
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

26 Jun 2016, 9:27 pm

Yes, a very important topic.

B19, have sent you a PM. Perhaps we should start actively doing something about this issue and the related issue of the deficit based paradigm, at least in NZ.

strings
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Jun 2016, 3:22 pm

B19 wrote:
I can't remember a thread during my time here addressing the issues of AS people who are teaching academics. In fact I can't think of a single media article, speech, film, program, seminar or conference which has addressed the topic. Another first for Wrong Planet? This invisibility is a bad thing for everyone on the spectrum, academic or not. Why is there such a silence about ability and such screaming about disability and inability? (I know why, I do understand political agendas, it's a rhetorical question only).

The Third Glance is the only blog I have discovered that discusses the topic from the perspective of an academic insider.

The piece on why the writer there chose not to disclose was particularly poignant to me.

https://thethirdglance.wordpress.com/category/academia/

Hello!

I've been reading on this site for a while, but having seen your posting here I decided to take the plunge and sign up. I'm in the academic world and teaching, so your post caught my attention. So many issues to talk about!

B19
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2016, 9:43 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

The academics engaged in teaching or research which I personally have interacted on WP are working in or have worked in sociology, neuroscience research, chemistry, maths and psychology. Given that I generally stick to discussions on this particular forum, there may well be many more I am not aware of who participate on other forums here, it would be surprising if there were not also academics here who teach things like computer engineering, or work in those faculties in other capacities. Philosophy and physics are dear to certain AS people too so it would be surprising if there weren't some representatives from those disciplines here also.

Perhaps other members can enlighten me further as to various presences on other forums?

arkatron
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jun 2016, 10:57 pm

I'm involved in and interested in academia. I find it to be one of the least AS-friendly environments, both in terms of structure and social environment. It unsurprisingly reflects the wider culture. Science is too mainstream to tolerate too much difference. It's like a vast corporation.

B19
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2016, 11:08 pm

It's become increasingly corporatised, no argument there. The commodification of education as a market product was the basis for that development and it has been going on for 30 years now. Governments wish to control academia much more now than at any time since the very first universities were opened by religious orders centuries ago.

Academic freedom is under threat in very sinister and underhand ways - at least in New Zealand, the only context in which I am able to closely observe this trend and the allied political agendas operating at various structural levels.

Though that's another topic altogether (and a huge one).

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2016, 11:56 pm

B19 wrote:
It's become increasingly corporatised, no argument there. The commodification of education as a market product was the basis for that development and it has been going on for 30 years now. Governments wish to control academia much more now than at any time since the very first universities were opened by religious orders centuries ago.

Academic freedom is under threat in very sinister and underhand ways - at least in New Zealand, the only context in which I am able to closely observe this trend and the allied political agendas operating at various structural levels.

Though that's another topic altogether (and a huge one).

Universities originally started as places where religious learning could take place to understand the meaning of existence. Esoteric spiritualists in ancient Athens, buddhist monks in eastern India and high priests in Alexandria Egypt started what were the earliest forms of academies of learning.

Today the original search has become a "little sidetracked" as universities are corporatised under neo-liberal governments and committees of human resource managers decide what can be funded and what constitutes research.

The ministry is certainly interfering with Hogwarts

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2016, 12:12 am

Overall, it seems to me that there is less acceptance of eccentricity within an academic context than previously.

There is more emphasis on getting along with colleagues because many academics must serve on committees now.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2016, 12:30 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Overall, it seems to me that there is less acceptance of eccentricity within an academic context than previously.

There is more emphasis on getting along with colleagues because many academics must serve on committees now.

Yes, the academics who choose to be on these committees are the ones who are now full time administrators. They manage human resources rather than teach or do research anymore....

johnnyh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jun 2016, 1:28 am

Certain academic jobs may not be suitable though for people with HFA or Asperger syndrome do to the high reliance on good executive function, generalizing one situation to the next, creativity, and many more, our lower intelligence levels and other intellectual impairments (see Autism Calgary myths about asperger syndrome) make it hard to acquire these kinds of jobs.

-Johnnyh

B19
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2016, 1:34 am

You really are functioning on WP as a "johnny one note" so far.. not trolling by any chance?

johnnyh
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jun 2016, 1:37 am

http://www.autismcalgary.com/what-is-asd/myths-facts/

Please read this and tell me what you find to be untrue.

-Johnnyh

B19
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2016, 1:39 am

Stop trying to derail this thread. Now.

VisInsita
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

28 Jun 2016, 1:40 am

johnnyh wrote:
Certain academic jobs may not be suitable though for people with HFA or Asperger syndrome do to the high reliance on good executive function, generalizing one situation to the next, creativity, and many more, our lower intelligence levels and other intellectual impairments (see Autism Calgary myths about asperger syndrome) make it hard to acquire these kinds of jobs.

Man on a mission... :)

B19
Veteran
Veteran

28 Jun 2016, 2:08 am

People who (annoyingly) try to discount your teaching competence, (and the unnecessary hurt they cause):

https://thethirdglance.wordpress.com/20 ... d-teacher/