I've got to try everything 37%  37%  [ 19 ]
Eh... don't care one way or the other 24%  24%  [ 12 ]
Nope, I'll stick with what I know 39%  39%  [ 20 ]
Total votes : 51

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2016, 1:06 am

A lot of aspies seem to avoid novelty when it comes to food, but I've seen that some are just the opposite. I fall into the latter category; I love to try new foods! They can be exotic, spicy, smelly or look terrible, but I want to explore them. It's an adventure for the senses. Fun fact: camel tastes like super-lean beef. :lol:

I was a picky eater as a child, but at some point I just got over that and now it's like I'm making up for lost time; probably part of the reason I take so long to order at restaurants... but at the same time, I'm very good at ordering things for people I know well. It's become a joke that if anyone can't make a decision I can just do it for them.

What about you? What are your experiences with this?

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2016, 1:16 am

I clicked on the middle one.

AJisHere
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2016, 1:28 am

babybird wrote:
I clicked on the middle one.

So, not too picky... but not about to try some durian?

Skilpadde
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2016, 2:32 am

I'm somewhere in the middle. I can enjoy eating the same things for a long time, but I can also tire of some foods, particularly bland foods.
I'm eager to try something new if I think it's something I am likely to like, or something that sounds exciting/tasty. But there are lots of things I would never consider eating, and there are foods I don't like. I cannot stomach foods with slimy consistency.

I have a tendency to not be particularly thrilled about a number of foods and it can be hard to come up with meals because there are only so many tempting foods. I am always interested if I find ways to spice them up, renew them, try them with a difference for the sake of variation. This would be especially with the foods that aren't favorites of course, I am unlikely to want to change anything about them.

I was a very picky eater as a child (although apparently there were times when I liked things that weren't expected), and I have come a long way since then.

love you and miss you, dear boy

Stop the wolf kills! https://www.thepetitionsite.com/takeact ... 3091429765

frag
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2016, 2:51 am

I like trying food that someone else has cooked. Even if I cook new types of food it still sort of tastes the same if I cook it. It must be some weird curse.

I like most food, but say I go for pizza I still tend to get the same type I usually get. But then again I probably have tried them all at some point in life.

I'm the opposite of picky. I'm almost pathologically unpicky.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2016, 2:54 am

While I do like trying new foods, I also like to stick with what I like. I've got to have my mac and cheese.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2016, 3:31 am

I'm still as picky as if I'm still a child. But not because I don't want to try new various tastes, it simply because my tongue doesn't agree with it. :|
Although many told me it's purely psychological, it's the closest thing I had for being sensory discomfort-prone. Perhaps it's just not easy for me to acquire new tastes.

Tried so many flavors, :lol: it's just my tongue rejects it most it.
I just learn more what flavor to anticipate, what I really like, what I 'can' chew and swallow, and which I can't or don't like.

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

EmmaHyde
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jun 2016, 3:32 am

I will say that I like to cook so I'm always trying new things out in the kitchen. But there are some foods I will not eat (avocados being one of them) unless it's in another food and I can't tell. (Like sushi or a sandwich)

-------
Your neurodiverse (Aspie) score: 175 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 59 of 200
You are very likely neurodiverse (Aspie)
++++++

Tiankay
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: 3rd Street on the right, just after the event horizon...

27 Jun 2016, 3:57 am

No i strongly dislike trying new foods. But i voted the middle because sometimes i still force myself to try something new. And sometimes i end up liking the things i try, so its worth it. But it doesnt happen often. I mostly eat the same things over and over again. If i decide to go out and eat at a restaurant, they know my order as soon as i open the door. I literally order "the usual" at the places i go to...

Peace
TK

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2016, 4:04 am

No, not very much.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2016, 4:22 am

not enough poll options, I will try SOME new things as long as they don't contain any of the forbidden ingredients, AND they are not too expensive.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2016, 4:46 am

at my age, i am aware of what i like and dislike, and i have a wide range of familiar foods that i enjoy, and i can remain happy with that repertoire.

some foods i am curious about like:

* royal jelly. if the honey is for the worker bees, and the royal jelly is for the queen, then i would imagine royal jelly to be much more luxuriant tasting than honey, but i am afraid that i am not willing to risk a prophylactic reaction to it as is reasonably common in a broad range of people.
it costs much more than honey i believe, but i can not find it available in quantities like a "jar full" so i can eat a spoonful of it to determine it's taste. i have only seen it as an ingredient in health style capsules.

the different sugars are of interest to me. i love the taste of condensed milk, and that is a lactose type of sweetness.
i would like to have a spoonful of 100% pure crystals of every type of sugar in front of me so i can compare their tastes. like sucrose vs fructose vs lactose vs levulose vs glucose vs dextrose vs all the possible other type os "ose's".

i will not try insects for any reason. i would never taste a spider or an ant or a cockroach or grubs etc like some of the eastern cultures enjoy.

i do not like the thought of eating reptiles or amphibians like frogs or alligator or crocodile or any type of lizard.

i may try different types of birds, but none that deviate far from the fowl variety.
i tried duck eggs recently because i always wanted to compare their richness to chicken eggs, but the yolks were gloopy and thick and tasted strange so i spat the first mouthful out and discontinued my investigation.

a curious situation in my case is that i very much like the taste of lambs brains. my mother prepared them one night and told me it was fish, and i delighted on their succulence and delicate taste, and my mother had a wry smile when she saw my reaction and told me thatthey were in fact lambs brains, and i suddenly lost interest and became disgusted that some of them were already in my stomach and i felt like vomiting due to the phycholoical resistance to the idea. i will never try them again but they do taste nice (when mashed and made into a patty that is fried).

so i picked the third option.

i do like to experiment with new ways of cooking foods. at the moment i am trying to perfect "deep fried scmabled egga", but i can not find the right type of oil or the correct te,perature to cook them at. it involves making scrambled eggs and then taking teaspoons of them and coating them in flour and immersing into a deep frier at 190C for about 1 minute to impart a crunchy and brown outer shell to the fluffy interior. whatever i have answered enough. i could go on for ever.

Outrider
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2016, 6:48 am

I have a strict diet as a part of my exercise and training program, so exploring the unknown makes me uncomfortable.

I can't calculate the nutritional content of new foods if it's just at a friends house or at some sort of event, and even restaurants it can be difficult to find out the nutritional content/calorie count or also might not have any of that oh-so-important extra details to me.

I don't just eat when I'm hungry and when I need to.

I eat specific foods, in specific portions at specific times, whether gaining or losing weight, so any sort of disruptions to my schedule are difficult to cope with.

Even when eating unhealthy, which I'll admit I do so more often than I'd like to, I stick with what i know, and this is actually ideal as I've read our stomach's gut bacteria gets use to whatever we eat so new foods, unhealthy or healthy, will taste strange to us.

This means because i've eaten healthy for so long, many unhealthy foods can make me sick, aside from a few unhealthy foods i have often enough that my stomach is still familiar with it.

Don't get me wrong, I'll try a new food occasionally, and when in a situation when having dinner at a friend's house or such, I'll suck it up and give it a try, but I have a very low chance of liking it, probably a 5% chance.

Sometimes I'll force-feed just to be polite, sometimes I just can't do it and try to politely reject ("I already ate, I'm good thanks.")

EzraS
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2016, 7:06 am

I don't usually like trying new foods. Unless maybe some new snack/junk food item.

Jo_B1_Kenobi
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Jun 2016, 7:19 am

No I don't.

Diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ICD10)

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2016, 7:52 am

I don't mind trying new foods once in a while--but I tend to stick to what I know.