I used to smoke. 9%  9%  [ 8 ]
Yes, but weed. 12%  12%  [ 11 ]
No. 57%  57%  [ 51 ]
Total votes : 90

Aniihya
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2016, 8:25 am

I used to be one of those constant meltdown screaming auties until I started smoking at age 18. What easened the decision to take up smoking was that I was having a heavy depressive episode around that time. I had stopped twice for several months, but everytime I turned into a wreak with daily meltdown and creeping depression. Is it just me or may nicotine affect auties in a way that could help with coping? I am in no way advocating taking up smoking but taking nicotine, eliminating its addictive traits and turning it into a medication that may help more effectively than current antidepressants. Is anyone else a smoker and seems to avoid meltdowns or shutdowns better than in the past? (By the way, a nonsmoker or ex-smoker nagging in the thread is forseeable. Ex-smokers often seem to be people who get irritated very quickly when people talk about smoking.)

VisInsita
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

27 Jun 2016, 9:05 am

No. I don't smoke.

saxgeek
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2016, 9:08 am

It's great if you enjoy dying of cancer. I'm not that stupid, so I don't smoke.

Aniihya
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2016, 9:38 am

And BRAVO! The first person to typically state the obvious! Do you feel proud of yourself because you are smug and constantly worrying about your health? Well you dont know that at five cigarettes a day my chance of getting cancer is increased by a mere five percent versus someone who smokes a pack a day and having an 80 percent increase in chance of lung cancer (or 70 percent for throat cancer). Luckily I will be dead due to an autoimmune disorder by age 50 and will have lived a very fulfilling life avoiding depression and frequent meltdowns before death gets me because of HIES. So do you got anything better to do than let out a smug comment about something everyone is aware of or do you actually have any constructive dialogue to contribute?

Ps: Rationalizing smoking with stupidity is a logical error due to point of view. For someone who values their health over all, it would be stupid, however for someone who values over things over health it would just be another decision that may effect the quality of their life positively or negatively. So if you care about your health so much you should drink alcohol, soda, etc, and not eat greasy foods or sweets. A life with so many restriction sure must be crappy, especially if you may become a boring fart just for the sake of your health. Meanwhile I smoke, drink once a month, go bungee jumping, paragliding, like gooey butter cake and enjoy online debate.

Last edited by Aniihya on 27 Jun 2016, 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2016, 9:46 am

A 5-percent greater possibility of cancer is not something I want to live with.

I don't smoke because I don't like smoking--no other reason.

I'm not "smug" because I don't smoke.

Aniihya
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2016, 9:55 am

Kraftiekortie, it wasnt in regards to nonsmoking. My comment was a response to saxgeeks comment. The way the opinion "smoking = stupidity" really itched me due to stating an opinion as if it was a fact. I have no problem with nonsmokers. I have a problem with people stating the obvious for the hundredth time because they cannot engage in constructive debate. If he had just stated that he prefers to not smoke due to health concerns, it would have been fine with me.

LittleLu
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

27 Jun 2016, 10:12 am

We all have our coping mechanisms. Smoking can be therapeutic. I don't do it personally and never will, but a lot of my family does, and has been smoking for years. My grandma is 76 and has been smoking since she was young.

I personally use other means of coping with meltdowns, but I do have an avatar on IMVU who smokes constantly, lol. No harm in digital cigarettes.

C2V
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2016, 10:23 am

Well, here's one ex-smoker who's not going to bust your balls about smoking.
Smokers know it's bad for you. This is not a mystery. It's individual choice to smoke and reap whatever consequences there may be.
I used to smoke late teens / early twenties because it was the only thing I could think of to do at parties besides stand in one spot and literally do nothing. I was going through a phase where I tried to be normal.
Hit mid-twenties and it became very obvious I was never going to be normal, so I stopped going to parties and thus, stopped smoking (everything).

arkatron
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

27 Jun 2016, 10:24 am

Smoking is well-known to reduce stress and improve cognition among other benefits, so I'm not surprised it has helped you. It's unfortunate that society is so inconsiderate in its condemnation of smoking.

Aniihya
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2016, 10:30 am

Arkatron, Lu and C2V, thank you for being considerate.

saxgeek
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2016, 11:38 am

It's just that smoking is one of the worst things you can ever do to your health. At college, I have to breathe second hand smoke every day and I'm fed up with it. Not to mention the enormous amount of litter caused by people just tossing their spent cigarettes on the ground. I don't understand why anyone would even start such a thing. How is it worth it? When you get older, you'll be hacking and coughing and dealing with breathing problems.

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2016, 11:49 am

I hate smoking, or, as I call it, abusing your lungs.

Tiankay
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

Location: 3rd Street on the right, just after the event horizon...

27 Jun 2016, 11:54 am

Used to smoke, now i exclusivly vape. I may smoke a cig at a social event or something but in the end it comes down to "less then a pack a year" from "1 big pack a day" so its ok. Im free...

Peace
TK

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2016, 12:24 pm

saxgeek wrote:
It's just that smoking is one of the worst things you can ever do to your health. At college, I have to breathe second hand smoke every day and I'm fed up with it. Not to mention the enormous amount of litter caused by people just tossing their spent cigarettes on the ground. I don't understand why anyone would even start such a thing. How is it worth it? When you get older, you'll be hacking and coughing and dealing with breathing problems.

Absolutely right. I tried a few when I was a teenager, because I gave in to peer pressure, but I never got hooked on it. I just smoked a few over the course of a couple of weeks, and then moved on with my life. Didn't think anything more of it. Most of the others, however, still smoke to this day. :roll:

I know smokers will try to argue against my opinion on smoking by saying ''oh other things you take in to your body can be just as dangerous as cigarettes, like sugar''. I'm sorry, but cigarettes are still more deadly. I have an anxiety disorder, but I take antidepressants what help with my anxiety outbursts. Yes, also smokers will probably say ''oh antidepressants can be just as dangerous as smoking, they contain chemicals that could be harmful to your body.'' Um, no. They're not going to cause me to have an irritating ''smoker's cough'' later on in my life, and breathing problems.

Smoking seems to be a seriously must-do thing for most smoke-addicts. A smoker who is skint or in debt but still manages to be able to buy themselves a pack of cigarettes, probably rather buy cigarettes than much needed food. A smoker who complains about bad lungs but nothing in the world stops them from smoking. A smoker goes out in freezing cold weather conditions to have a smoke, but would not dream of going outside to do anything useful because it's too cold, but it is not too cold for a cigarette. A heavy smoker will just light up, completely oblivious to any non-smoker in the room who may not want to breathe in their smoke. Smokers are good people, but when it comes to smoking, some can be inconsiderate, selfish and ignorant.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2016, 12:38 pm

I've never smoked in my life. I don't like the smell of it.

AnneOleson
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2016, 1:22 pm

I smoked for around thirty years. My husband and I both quit nine years ago. I used a nicotine inhaler to help quit, so there might be something to the idea as nicotine as an assist for ASD. I sure think cigarettes and all of the paraphernalia are great for stimming. Play with the cigarette, the pack, the lighter. Light a smoke when you had to talk on the phone .....