Song Lyrics & Their Significance, If Any_

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2016, 1:40 pm

Forgive me if a similar topic/post exists. I hope it is acceptable to post this topic in the 'General Autism Discussion' forum. I am doing so, in case anyone thinks this phenomenon, if you will, is perhaps ASD related. Although, I am not, personally, as interested in knowing the answer to that, as I am, in finding out if others may experience the same.

This morning I had to meet with a work associate, and, as we walked into the foyer of our office, a song that has always captivated me, was playing and I made that comment, to which he stated that he thought it was nothing out of the ordinary and he could write something similar in a matter of a few minutes'. As we went our separate ways, to put our things away, at our desks, I thought about how nice it would be, to possess that same caliber of musical ability, as it would, personally, take me ages to write a song. Five minutes later, he handed me a short poem and said he 'just wrote it and it was virtually the same idea as the song we heard in the foyer'. I was at a loss for words, as I hadn't ever noticed, or payed attention to the lyrics of the song, and I was solely captivated by the musical composition, in and of itself. A few minutes into our meeting, I mentioned that it is the musical components of the piece that impacted me, as opposed to the lyrics, and that, I found it interesting that he had, instead, focused more on the lyrics.

I have never pondered this before, but, I am quite sure, if asked, I would likely not be able to explain the lyrical content of 99% of the songs I have listened to, even if I have memorized all of the words, and they are songs that I listen to, repetitively. I do not automatically process lyrics or their meaning, unless, on the rare occasion, where they perfectly intertwine, or co-exist with the music, for example, a song such as Space Odditiy, or, Life on Mars, by David Bowie, as well as some remarkable songs by David Sylvian, and a few older Genesis pieces. Otherwise, I don't think that I consciously hear song lyrics, at all, especially, if the music moves me to a profound degree, nor do lyrics ever play a role in the level of enjoyment I acquire from listening to music, whether they are lyrics I appreciate, or not. They hold virtually no meaning or significance to me, as part of a song, unless it is a case, as described, above. However, I can easily pull them out, when singing a song, as they automatically become stored within my subconscious mind. If a song is reminiscent of an experience I have had, it is always due to the connection between the experience and the music, as opposed to the lyrics. I never utilize song lyrics to express myself, but, I have frequently expressed myself through various pieces of music.

I am curious to know if there are others who have the same or similar experiences with regard to song lyrics, that I have expressed. I would, also, be interested to know if you are pulled in by the lyrics of a song, as opposed to the music, or, if both play an equally significant role in your musical experience/enjoyment. Thank you -

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2016, 1:45 pm

I only really started being able to hear lyrics when I was in high school.

To this day, I tend to concentrate on the music more than the lyrics.

I need something written in text (like an operatic libretto) in order to discern the lyrics.

The first song on the radio I was able to remember the (first verse) lyrics to was "Joy to the World" by Three-Dog Night. The one with "Jeremiah was a bullfrog." It was a big hit when I was 10, in 1971.

Of course, I could get simple lyrics like "Yummy Yummy Yummy I have love in my tummy" or "Sugar Sugar." But that's it.

ArielsSong
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2016, 2:13 pm

For me, the voice of the singer and the music are almost equal - I think, actually, the voice is slightly more important to me. Lyrics I do pay attention to, I learn lyrics to songs very quickly and really enjoy thinking about them (and singing along), but they're not why I appreciate music and they don't make me pay attention to it, particularly. They're far less important than a good voice, or good music itself.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2016, 2:36 pm

I believe this is pertinent to Aspergers/Autism because there are some people on the Spectrum who have difficulty understanding the spoken voice. This includes lyrics.

ArielsSong
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2016, 2:59 pm

Regarding lyrics:

I do find that as things happen in my life, I find that my mind has suddenly gone to a song (and it may be one that I don't like or haven't heard of in years, or may be a favourite or currently popular one) and is playing it in my head specifically because the lyrics match up to the circumstances that I'm in. And it's often an obscure reference, and I'm amazed that the mind can do that.

I can't think of a real life example right now, but it's like my mind has a catalogue full of all of the song lyrics that I've heard and will subconsciously go in and find relevant ones that tie in with my life at that moment, then start playing that song in my head until I realise why. It can be the smallest of things, too, not necessarily life's big events.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2016, 3:19 pm

That happens to me, too.

For example: If I feel something really violent is going to happen, the song "It's so groovy now, that we are finally getting together," by Friend and Lover, comes into mind.

The song is actually called "Reach Out From the Darkness."

marshall
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2016, 4:00 pm

I tend to listen to music with lyrics that don't have an obvious meaning. I just appreciate the imagery and emotions certain words and phrases evoke. Sometimes there is a "theme" but not everything ties neatly into any specific event or story.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2016, 4:15 pm

ArielsSong wrote:
Regarding lyrics:

I do find that as things happen in my life, I find that my mind has suddenly gone to a song (and it may be one that I don't like or haven't heard of in years, or may be a favourite or currently popular one) and is playing it in my head specifically because the lyrics match up to the circumstances that I'm in. And it's often an obscure reference, and I'm amazed that the mind can do that.

I can't think of a real life example right now, but it's like my mind has a catalogue full of all of the song lyrics that I've heard and will subconsciously go in and find relevant ones that tie in with my life at that moment, then start playing that song in my head until I realise why. It can be the smallest of things, too, not necessarily life's big events.

I do this, too. And I've always enjoyed lyrics. I have a hard time lucidly recounting the plot of a novel or telling a standard joke (i.e. "Two guys walk into a bar . . ."), but have always enjoyed (and received good grades for) analyzing artwork like this. I also love music like Steely Dan where the music and lyrics are inseparable. It bothers me when lyrics feel like an afterthought.

I definitely notice the music first (how couldn't you?), but unlike the OP I gravitated toward the lyrics at some point.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2016, 7:11 pm

Most songs I notice the vocals and sounds first then maybe notice lyrics later but with some songs the I noticed the lyrics immediatly

Songs I noticed lyrics right away

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2016, 7:31 pm

I listen to both the words and music.
Though I dont always understand lyrics of rock songs ("a mulatto, an albino, something or other, my labido).

Your friend was being a bit myopic to assume that you were talking about the lyrics and not about the music (you wouldve been myopic to assume the opposite).

Half of the songs on the radio are about some cliche theme like "I will always love you", or "I cant live without you" , or like that. They take you to the same destination youve been before, but take you there some distinctive way melodically (hopefully).

The fact that your friend said he could write the same idea only shows that either (a) he is good at plagerizing the very song in question, or (b) that the lyrics were not even trying to be original. .The lyrics were just the excuse to write the music.

HighLlama
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2016, 7:39 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Though I don't always understand lyrics of rock songs ("a mulatto, an albino, something or other, my labido).

"A mulatto, an albino / A mosquito, my libido."

He's saying, "Opposites attract and I'm horny." Just meant to be a funny way of mocking teen culture and rock lyrics.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2016, 7:41 pm

ArielsSong wrote:
Regarding lyrics:

At work when I have fallen into thinking that we are almost done counting the inventory of a big store, and learn that in fact that there is a LOT left to do...Karen Carpenter's voice often enters my head singing "We've only just begun...to SMILE....".

Indeed once a supervisor overheard me singing it under my breath, and he broke out laughing.

"...and having experiences that are new to us...together...together..."

The Brexit vote made me think of "please release me, and let me go", "Breaking up is hard to do", and a line from an Al Green hit "some people break up, only just to make up, I would never do that to you..."

Last edited by naturalplastic on 27 Jun 2016, 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2016, 7:43 pm

HighLlama wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:
Though I don't always understand lyrics of rock songs ("a mulatto, an albino, something or other, my labido).

"A mulatto, an albino / A mosquito, my libido."

He's saying, "Opposites attract and I'm horny." Just meant to be a funny way of mocking teen culture and rock lyrics.

Mosquito!

That's it.

Couldnt think of it. I knew that.

OH! THAT'S what that line is about. Opposites attracting. Interesting.

beakybird
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2016, 7:52 pm

I've always been a lyric person. Used to write a lot of poetry in my teens and early 20s because I wanted to be a metal vocalist. So naturally, lyrics and vocals are what I gravitate to most. I can love the vocals but hate the lyrics tho, which happens alot actually.

MadFialka
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

27 Jun 2016, 8:25 pm

For me lyrics are only as important as "do they not annoy me?" If I find them shallow or juvenile or dumb, I might be bothered enough to not want to listen. But I'm more about the music itself. How it sounds, and how it feels. There's a certain emotion music has to evoke for me to like it... Or maybe emotion isn't the right word. It's more a sensation... like, it's almost physical. It's a hard thing for me to put into words. Also, vocals are big. If I don't like a singer's voice or delivery, no matter how amazing a band is otherwise, I can't listen to them. Whereas I might enjoy a band I think is otherwise 'just okay' if I love the person's voice enough.

The only time lyrics stand out enough for me to say "I love the words to this song," where they actually enhance my enjoyment of said song, are when they're really weird and abstract and full of imagery. The Mars Volta would be a good example. Or I like ones that are raw and almost uncomfortably personal - like PJ Harvey's earlier stuff. It either has to be so out there it can mean whatever I want it to, or so in your face there's no mistaking it. Anything in between I don't find all that interesting, or won't really care about. Regardless, it's not what I notice first.

It's always weird to me when someone says "I really like this song" and then they go on to quote the words or talk about what it's about. Where I'm like "when that guitar part shifts, and his voice does that thing, I feel it vibrate up my spine and my chest hurts and there's this longing..." Well, I think it anyway. Out loud I'm like, "yeah, dude, this song is cool." :lol:

Britte
Veteran
Veteran

27 Jun 2016, 9:42 pm

*kk - Interesting that you did not hear the lyrics until you were in high school...
I remember hearing the song: Joy To The World, when I was in kindergarten, I believe. Thanks very much for all of your input!

*ArielsSong - (I like your name) Indeed, 'the voice of the singer and the music are equally as important to me', as well, because, I am unable to obtain pleasure from a song, if the singer has an unpleasant voice. Where you and I may differ a bit, is the lyrics, automatically become stored in my memory. I do not try to 'learn' them, per se. Perhaps this is why I do not possess the ability to recall the meaning of a song's lyrics, in most cases. I have an eidetic memory, although, I can't say there would be a connection with words, but, maybe there is, within an aural context, anyway. I do have absolute pitch, and apparently, a large percentage of those with absolute pitch, also possess an eidetic memory, so, perhaps somehow, a connection exists. Thank you for sharing your additional experiences, within your additional post. They are quite similar to my own, that I had mentioned within my original post.

*Marshall - Like, you, I tend towards music with lyrics that don't have obvious meaning’. Perhaps, because it detracts less from the music. I like the way you've described your 'appreciation for the imagery and emotions certain words and phrases evoke'. I experience the same, through various aspects of the music. Thank you for sharing how words and phrases can effect you.

*HighLlama - I think you've described the music of Steely Dan, perfectly. 'The music and lyrics are inseparable'. I wonder if you ever listen to outtakes they've recorded. I've happened upon a few that I have quite liked! Thank you for your thought provoking, input, as well.

Thank you, all, very much, for sharing the various ways you experience music and lyrics. I have only read and addressed the first few posts, as I've just returned home and need to eat (not that that matters), however, I am looking most forward to reading through the additional comments/commentary/posts that I've only had the opportunity to barely skim over (thanks naturalplastic, ASPOM, MadFialka, beakybird, etc _) !